Total Law
0333 305 9375 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm


UK Intra-Company Transfer Visa

The Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) visa permits foreign workers to transfer from a companies branch in a foreign country to the UK branch of the same company.

For enquiries and support with the intra-company transfer application, contact Total Law’s excellent team of immigration lawyers. We will guide you through the entire process to ensure the experience remains seamless and stress-free.

You can call us at +44 333 305 9375 or use the online form to get in touch.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the Intra Company Transfer visa

    The intra-company transfer (ICT) visa allows skilled workers working for a foreign branch or sister company of a UK-based company to transfer from that foreign branch to the UK branch temporarily. Unlike the Skilled Worker visa category, the ICT visa does not qualify a person for indefinite leave to remain in the UK after five years.

    Starting April 11, 2022, the Intra-Company Transfer visa will be replaced by the Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility visa)

    According to the current rules, ICT migrants in the UK can:

    • Work without restrictions based on the conditions of the certificate of sponsorship. This work may also include volunteer roles
    • Study
    • Bring certain family members into the UK
    • Take up a second job, with a maximum work time of 20 hours per week, provided it is in the same profession and skill level as the main job
    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Intra-Company Visa Categories

    There are two categories of Intra-company visas:

    • Transfer Visa: The ICT visa, formerly the Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Long-term Staff visa, is open to personnel working for the UK-based organisation’s foreign branch for at least 12 months. If the employee has worked for less than 12 months, their salary in the UK branch must be at least £73,900 per annum.
    • Graduate Trainee Visa: The ICT graduate trainee visa, formerly the Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Graduate Trainee visa, is open to individuals who are transferring to the UK branch of a company as part of a graduate training programme for a managerial or specialist role. The trainee must have been with the company’s foreign branch for at least three months.

    Eligibility Criteria for the ICT Visa

    To qualify for the Intra-Company Transfer visa, you must meet specific requirements. These include;

    1. You must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from your employer. The UK office of your company must issue you a sponsorship certificate. The CoS is an electronic document that provides a unique reference number that you will use for your visa application. You must apply for the Intra-Company Transfer visa within three months of getting your CoS.
    2. You must be employed by the overseas branch of the same company you are being transferred to in the UK. If you earn more than £73,900/year, there is no minimum time before you can make a transfer. However, if you earn less than that amount, you must have worked with your employer for at least 12 months. If you’re applying for a graduate trainee visa, you must have worked for the company for at least three months.
    3. The job offer or job must be on the UK list of eligible occupations.
    4. You must be paid a salary that is eligible for the role.
    5. You must prove that you have enough money to care for yourself in the UK.
      Before applying for the visa, you must provide evidence that you have a minimum of £1,270 in your bank account for 28 consecutive days.

    The end of the 28 days must be at least 31 days before the date you apply for your Intra-Company Transfer.
    However, if your sponsor agrees to support you with £1,270  to cover your costs for a month when you arrive in the UK, you will not need to show your financial records.

    Intra-Company Transfer Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)

    Before applying for an Intra-Company Transfer visa, you must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the job you’re planning to do for your employer.

    Your employer must be an A-rated sponsor, registered as a licenced sponsor with the Home Office.

    However, suppose you have been granted permission to work for your employer under the Intra-Company route and are applying to continue working for the same sponsor.

    In that case, your application will be considered even if your sponsor is no longer an A-rated sponsor.

    Your CoS must be issued no more than three months before your Intra-Company Transfer visa application date.

    The CoS must include specific information, including;

    • Details of your name, job and salary
    • Confirmation that you work for your employer outside the UK
      You must have worked for at least 12 months unless you earn at least for at least £73,900/year
    • Your job start date. This date must not be more than three months after the date of your Intra-Company Transfer Visa application
    • Confirmation that the Certificate of Sponsorship has not been used in a previous application which was either granted or refused and has not been withdrawn by the sponsor or cancelled by the Home Office

    The application process for the ICT visa

    Applicants can apply for their ICT visa from within by switching or extending their leave or applying from outside the UK for entry clearance. The application is online, and the specific process depends on where you are applying.

    If applying from outside the UK, you’ll need to prove your identity as part of your application. To verify your identity, you will either;

    • visit a visa application centre to get your fingerprints and photograph taken to get a biometric residence permit; or
    • use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document

    After completing your online application, you must pay the application fees and the Immigration Health Surcharge. After completing your online application, you must submit your supporting documents to the visa application centre.

    Supporting Documents for the ICT Visa Application

    As with all UK visa applications, there are certain documents that you must submit as part of your application for the Intra-Company Transfer visa. These documents include;

    • A valid passport with at least one blank page or other identity documents that show your identity and nationality
    • Documents showing details of your job title and salary
    • Certificate of a Sponsorship reference number
    • Your job’s occupation code
    • The name of your employer and their sponsor license number
    • Evidence that you have enough personal savings to support yourself in the UK. This is not required if your sponsor has agreed to support your living expenses for the first month of your stay in the UK.
    • Evidence that you work for your employer overseas.
    • If you are applying for the Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa, you must provide details of the training programme.
    • Your tuberculosis test results if you are from a TB endemic country
    • If your job involves researching a sensitive subject at a PhD level or higher, you may be asked for a valid ATAS certificate.

    All of your documents must be original copies and in English or Welsh. You must translate documents not in English and submit the certified translation along with originals.

    ICT Visa Costs

    You will need to pay several fees when applying for the ICT visa. The standard application fee depends on where you are applying and how long you intend to stay.

    If you’re applying from outside the UK, the application fee is

    • £625 if you intend to stay in the UK for less than three years; or
    • £1,235 if you want to stay for more than three years.

    If you’re applying from inside the UK to extend, switch or update your visa, the application fee is;

    • £719 if you intend to stay in the UK for less than three years; or
    • £1,423 if you want to stay for more than three years.

    You will also be required to pay the Healthcare Surcharge each year you stay in the UK.

    This fee is usually £624 per year but may be reviewed. Ensure to check the Home Office website for details of the healthcare surcharge.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your case today Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      ICT visa processing time

      The Home Office typically takes about three weeks to process ICT visa applications once you complete all the processes. The Home Ofice will contact you if you need to provide further information or have any issues with your application.

      You can pay for priority service processing if you need a decision faster than the standard three weeks. This will cost £500 if you wish to get the decision within five working days or £800 if you want to get the decision within one working day.

      ICT visa validity

      Under current rules, the period you will be entitled to live and work in the UK depends on your sponsorship. The ICT visa expires;

      • Upon expiration of your work contract plus two weeks; or
      • A maximum period of five years if you earn less than £73,900 and nine years if you earn £73,900.
      • Upon one calendar year, if you are a graduate trainee.

      Whichever of the above times is shorter is considered the allowed period of stay in the UK.

      ICT Visa Extension

      You can apply for an extension on your ICT visa from inside the UK, provided you have not spent the maximum time allowed in the UK.

      You must also meet the following conditions before applying for an extension;

      • You are still employed by the same organisation that assigned your previous CoS
      • You are still in the same job as when you made the original ICT visa application
      • The same occupation code still applies to the job

      You cannot extend an Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa from inside the UK but can make an extension application from outside the UK

      Intra-company transfer visa for family members

      If you wish to bring your family members to the UK as your dependents, you can do so through the ICT visa. For a family member to be considered your dependent, they must either be;

      • Your legally recognised spouse or civil partner, proven through a valid marriage certificate or certificate of civil partnership;
      • Dependent children under 18 proven through birth certificates or adoption papers

      You must be able to demonstrate that you have been living together with a said family member for at least two years at the time of your application. You must also show that you have enough money to care for your dependents. For your partner, you will need an additional £285, while you will need £315 for one child and £200 for each additional child.

      If your dependents are outside of the UK, each one must apply for a visa separately and pay the required fees. If they are inside of the UK and wish to extend or switch their visa, they can do this either at the same time as you apply to extend or switch your visa or at any time before their current visa expires.

      Take the first step. Request a Fact Finding + Expert Consultation Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        How can Total Law Help?

        Total Law’s team of immigration lawyers are well experienced in all areas of British immigration. With countless successful applications aided through the years, we can help you through the entire process to ensure that you put forward the strongest possible application to guarantee success.

        At Total Law. We understand the stresses involved in making applications and migrating to a new country. Thus, we help ensure that your visa application is completely stress-free and as smooth as possible.

        Contact us today at +44 333 305 9375 ,or use the online form to get in touch.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  Unlike the skilled worker visa, the ICT visa does not count toward the requirements for Indefinite Leave to Remain or British Citizenship.

                  Yes. As an ICT visa holder, you can apply to switch to the skilled worker visa category. You will need to prove that you meet the requirements for a skilled visa, including proof of skill and salary level, meeting the financial requirements and English language requirements. You must also not fall on any general grounds for refusal.

                  On April 11 2022, the UK Home Office closed the ICT visa and replaced it with the Global Business Mobility visa.

                  The requirements and application process is still the same as the old visa type. However, for further enquiries, contact us on
                  +1 844 290 6312. We will also help you work out the implications for your current ICT visa and certificate of sponsorship.