UK Immigration: How To Immigrate To UK From Egypt

If you wish to move to the UK as an Egyptian citizen, you’ll need to apply for a visa that suits your immigration situation.

Do you want to know more about UK visas, including the eligibility requirements, payable fees, documents required and the application process? Call us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or message us online. Our experienced advisors at Total Law can give you the expert advice you need to migrate to the UK.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    UK Immigration From Egypt: An Overview

    The United Kingdom has been an attractive destination for Egyptians over the years. Many Egyptians move to the UK to study, work or visit friends and family. Every year, over 2,000 Egyptian students move to the UK for studies. There are approximately 39,000 Egyptians who have settled permanently in the UK.

    The reasons for this number of migrations are not far-fetched. The UK is a top study destination for most Egyptians looking to study in Europe. The UK is also one of the leading countries for expats looking to work in Europe.

    As an Egyptian, you must apply for a UK visa to move to the UK. The type of visa you apply for depends on your reason for migrating to the UK.

    The most common UK visa Egyptians apply for is the UK visit visa. With this visa, Egyptians can tour, attend conferences, do business, take a short course, or visit relatives and friends living in the UK. This visa can be valid for up to 180 days.

    Other UK visa categories that Egyptians can apply for include:

    • UK study visa
    • UK work visa
    • Family Visa

    Egyptians can also settle permanently in the UK if they meet the eligibility criteria. One primary criterion for permanent settlement is living in the UK for at least 5 years.

    There are 2 major ways Egyptians settle permanently in the UK:

    • Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) for permanent residence
    • British citizenship for Egyptians who want to naturalise in the UK.
    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Ways To Immigrate To The UK From Egypt (Visas & Residencies)

    Below is a breakdown of some of the UK visas that you can apply for from Egypt:

    UK Tourist Visa

    Egyptians can travel to the UK to stay for up to 6 months on the UK Tourist visa.

    There are a few things you can do with a tourist visa.

    You can:

    • Visit a friend or a family member
    • Attend a business or religious conference
    • Get medical treatment
    • Carry out academic research during your leave
    • Undergo clinical practice
    • Tour the country
    • Study a short recreational course for up to 6 months
    • Provide expert insight to a UK organisation
    • Take an exam
    • Attend an interview
    • Volunteer for charity work

    If you are on the UK tourist visa, you cannot:

    • Get married
    • Get employed to do paid or unpaid work
    • Get public benefits
    • Live in the UK for more than 6 months in 1 year

    Before applying for the UK tourist visa, you have to prove that:

    • You intend to leave at the expiration of your visa
    • You have enough money to fend for yourself and anyone accompanying you on your trip
    • You can pay for your journey to and fro
    • You will not visit the UK in successive time periods

    You’ll need to submit your application online for the UK tourist visa. Afterwards, the Home Office will notify you where to submit your passport and biometrics.

    Documents Required

    To apply for the UK tourist or visit visa, you have to present the information below:

    • The dates you intend to travel to the UK
    • Accommodation plans upon getting to the UK
    • Cost of your trip
    • Current address
    • Bank statements showing how much you earn yearly
    • The names and dates of birth of your parents
    • Your travel history in the last 10 years
    • Your employer’s address and contact details
    • Details of any family member in the UK

    Fees and Processing Time

    The tourist or visitor visa fee depends on how long you will stay and your reason for travelling.

    • You’ll pay £115 to visit the UK for up to 6 months
    • You’ll pay £200 for medical treatment that will last up to 11 months
    • You’ll pay £200 for recreational studies that can last up to 12 months
    • You’ll pay £400 for a 2-year visit visa. Note that you can only spend a maximum of 6 months per year
    • You’ll pay £771 for a 5-year visit visa. Note that you can only spend a maximum of 6 months per year
    • You’ll pay £963 for a 10-year visit visa. Note that you can only spend a maximum of 6 months per year

    The standard time for getting a decision on your UK visit visa application is 3 weeks.

    UK Study Visa

    Egyptians can apply for a UK student visa if they wish to study in the UK. There are 3 kinds of study visas available for Egyptian citizens:

    • The Student visa which is the standard visa for higher education
    • The Child Student visa for primary or secondary education in the UK
    • Short-term study visa for English language courses in the UK

    To apply for any of the student visa categories, you must have an offer from a UK school with a valid student sponsor licence. You must also prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition and living expenses. You’ll also need to demonstrate proficiency in the English language.

    For child student visas, you must prove you have the consent of your parents to travel to the UK for studies.

    How long you’ll stay in the UK depends on the duration of your course.

    If you are on a student visa, you can only come to the UK with your family if you are researching or trying to get a doctorate.

    You are only entitled to work 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time during holidays.

    Egyptians studying courses that will last 6 months or less can move to the UK 1 week before the course start date.

    If your course lasts more than 6 months, you can move to the UK up to 30 days before the course starts.

    Note that you cannot travel to the UK before the entry date on your study visa.

    Documents Required

    • Egyptian passport
    • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
    • Bank statement showing you have enough money to pay your tuition fees and living expenses
    • Proof that your parents approve of your application if you are below 18
    • Birth certificate to prove you are related to your parents if below 18
    • Letter from your financial sponsor if you are under scholarship
    • ATAS certificate if your course demands it
    • Accommodation plans if you are less than 18
    • Proof of paying the visa and immigration health surcharge fees
    • Birth and marriage certificates if you are travelling with your family

    Fees and Processing Times

    • £490 for the child student and study visa. You’ll also need to pay this fee for each family member travelling with you
    • £200 for the short-term study visa

    It usually takes 3 weeks for the Home Office to process your study visa application.

    Our experienced immigration team can help with visas, permits, and more for Egyptians wanting to move to UK. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      UK Work Visa

      There are many types of UK work visas. The one you should apply for depends on what you are moving to the UK to do. To get a standard UK work visa, you must have an employment offer from a licensed sponsor.

      The most popular work visas Egyptians apply for are the Skilled Worker and Health and Care Worker visas. These visas are for permanent jobs and usually last 3 to 5 years.

      Another category is temporary work visas, which include:

      • Seasonal Worker visa
      • Charity Worker visa
      • Creative Worker visa
      • International Agreement visa
      • Government Authorised Exchange visa
      • Religious Worker visa

      Egyptians can apply for the Global Talent Visa if they meet the requirements. This visa does not need a job offer. However, you must be nominated by a relevant body in the UK.

      To start a business in the UK, you can apply for the Innovator Founder visa.

      If you have a job offer from an employer outside of the UK for a work or service to be rendered in the UK, you can apply for the following visas as it applies:

      • Overseas Domestic Worker visa
      • Global Business Mobility
      • Representative of an Overseas Business visa

      Other work visas that you can apply for as an Egyptian include:

      • Minister of Religion visa
      • Scale-up Worker visa
      • International Sportsperson visa
      • Frontier Worker permit


      You must meet different criteria depending on the kind of work visa you are applying for.
      Below are the general work visa requirements:

      • You must have a job offer from a licensed sponsor
      • You must present a certificate of sponsorship from your employer
      • Your salary must meet the minimum wage requirements
      • Your job must be listed as an eligible occupation
      • You must be proficient in the use of the English language
      • You have to prove you have enough money to cater for your stay for at least 1 month. This requirement is waived if your employer agrees to take care of your expenses for that month

      The work visa permits you to travel to the UK with your family. You must pay the application fee for each family member and the immigration health surcharge. You are exempt from paying the surcharge if you want to apply for a Health and Care Worker visa.

      It is advisable to apply for a visa 3 months before your employment start date. Your visa will be processed within 3 weeks of submission.

      Documents Required

      The specific documents you need to submit when applying for a work visa depend on the work visa you are applying for.
      However, here are the general documents that the Home Office would need to process a work visa application:

      • Certificate of sponsorship, if it applies
      • Evidence you can understand English: a university degree or an English language proficiency test results from a valid test provider
      • Egyptian passport
      • Job contract that shows your salary, job title, occupation code and employee details
      • Bank statement to show you have enough money for your living expenses
      • Birth and marriage certificates if you are travelling with your family
      • Criminal history certificate, if it is required
      • ATAS certificate, if it applies

      Fees and Processing Times

      The UK work visa fees range from £284 to £1,500. The exact amount you’ll pay depends on the kind of work visa you’re applying for. You may also need to pay £624 per year as an immigration health surcharge.

      The standard processing time for UK work visas is 3 weeks.

      It could take longer due to the workload of the Home Office.

      Family Visa

      There is also a provision for Egyptians to apply for a family visa to join their family members living in the UK.

      Eligible family members that you can join are:

      • Spouse or partner
      • Fiancé(e) or a civil partner you are engaged to
      • Parent
      • Child
      • Family member who will care for you due to old age or illness

      It is important to note that the family visa differs from the dependent visa. Hence, you cannot apply for a family visa if your relative is on a student visa or a temporary worker visa.

      Documents Required

      • Egyptian passport
      • Bank statement showing you have enough money to take care of yourself. This requirement is unnecessary if your family member in the UK can fill out a sponsorship form on your behalf
      • Birth and marriage certificates to prove your relationship
      • Pictures, proof of shared bills, and any other document to prove the relationship between you and the family member in the UK if you are not married
      • Details of your child or partner
      • Proof of English language proficiency. Your degree certificate can suffice if you prove that the degree was taught entirely in English

      Fees and Processing Time

      • £1,846 if you are applying alone
      • £1,846 extra for any additional dependant
      • £404 if you’re going to be looked after by a UK relative with protection status. Otherwise, you pay £3,250

      You will also need to pay the health surcharge, and the fees are as follows:

      For adults:

      • £1,560 for 2 years and 6 months
      • £1,872 for 2 years and 9 months
      • £3,120 for 5 years

      For children:

      • £1,175 for 2 years and 6 months
      • £1,410 for 2 years and 9 months
      • £2,350 for 5 years

      It takes up to 6 months for the Home Office to process your application.

      For tailored assistance with moving to the UK, speak with our immigration lawyers today. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Visa Application Process

        To apply for a UK visa, you need to take the steps below:

        Discover the Kind of Visa You Need

        This step is the most important as applying for the wrong visa will lead to you getting a visa denial. If you are at a loss regarding which visa to apply for, contact our immigration caseworkers at Total Law by calling +44 (0)333 305 9375 or messaging us online. We can assess your situation and determine the visa you need to apply for.

        Gather Supporting Documents

        Once you have discovered the proper visa for your immigration needs, gather the documents you need to prove you meet the eligibility criteria. All your documents must be in English or Welsh. You’ll need to get certified translated copies if they are in Arabic.

        Apply Online

        You need to first apply online if you need a UK visa. The relevant application portal is on the UK’s Home Office website. Ensure every detail you input on the platform tallies with the information on the documents you’ll submit.

        Pay the Visa Fees

        Pay the relevant visa fees after applying online.

        Schedule An Appointment

        The next step is to schedule an appointment online. The TLScontact centre is in charge of visa applications made to the UK.

        Go for Your Visa Appointment

        On the scheduled date, go for your appointment. There, you’ll submit your supporting documents, proof you’ve paid the visa fees and your Egyptian passport. Note that the officers will collect your biometrics.

        Pick Up Your Visa

        If your application is successful, you’ll be notified by mail when to expect your passport.

        Our specialist lawyers have the expertise to align your visa application with the best possible chance of success. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Residency & Citizenship Routes


          Egyptians can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (UK permanent residency) or settlement. The ILR gives you the right to study, work or live in the UK permanently. To be eligible for ILR, you must have been on another visa in the UK.

          If you are on a work visa, you must prove that you have worked in the UK for at least 5 years. You must also meet the financial and salary requirements. For tier 1, Innovator Founder and Global Talent visa holders, the residency years are reduced to 3.

          If you live with a family member with British citizenship or ILR, you can also apply for settlement.

          You may be eligible to apply for ILR if your relationship was dissolved due to abuse or your partner passed away.

          Egyptian citizens living in the UK for 10 years can also apply for ILR.

          The Indefinite leave to remain is the final step towards getting UK citizenship.

          If you stay outside the UK for more than 24 months, you’ll lose your UK-settled status.

          Before the Home Office approves your application, you must pass the Life in the UK Test. You also need to show that you have sufficient knowledge of the English language.

          It could take the Home Office up to 6 months to get back to you on your ILR application.

          British Citizenship

          Egyptian citizens with indefinite leave to remain can apply for British citizenship after 1 year. If you are married to a British citizen, you can apply for citizenship immediately after you get your ILR.

          You can make the application yourself or use a legal representative.

          The application is done online. However, you must book an appointment with the UKVCAS to submit your biometrics.

          You can upload your documents on the portal or have them uploaded for you during your biometrics appointment.

          You can also apply by post, although the Home Office advises against this, especially if you urgently need your documents for other things.

          It is important to note that you must have been in the UK physically 5 years before the date you submit your application. That is, if you intend to submit your application, say, on the 12th of December, 2023, you must have been physically present in the UK on the 12th of December, 2018.

          It will cost you £1,580 to apply and will take the Home Office up to 6 months to update you on your application.

          How Can Total Law Help?

          Are you unsure which visa to apply for to move to the UK? Total Law can help. Contact our immigration advisors for expert advice on your UK visa application. We can help assess your eligibility, gather your documents and estimate what it would cost you to move to the UK.

          We can also apply for a UK visa on your behalf. Our immigration lawyers are experts in UK immigration laws. We also have OISC (Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner) registration, which means you can trust us to handle your British citizenship application.

          For more details about UK immigration or our services, call +44 (0)333 305 9375 or message us online today.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    You cannot do paid or unpaid work on a UK visitor visa. You are allowed to volunteer for 30 days, but that must be your sole aim of visiting the UK.

                    The UK is open to immigration. You, however, must meet the eligibility requirement for your immigration category to gain entry into the UK.

                    One of the ways to immigrate to the UK permanently is via the work visa route. After spending 3-5 years on a work visa, you are eligible for permanent residency (indefinite leave to remain) in the UK.