Marriage Visitor Visa

The marriage visitor visa is reserved for people to enter the UK to get married or enter into a civil partnership.

If you have any questions regarding the UK marriage visitor visa, please call us on 0333 305 9375, or contact us online seven days a week via our live chat.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Who requires a Marriage Visitor Visa?

    It is essential to apply for a marriage visitor visa if any of the following are true to your situation:

    • You want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK.
    • You want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in the UK.
    • You’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership.
    • You meet the other eligibility requirements.

    Oppositely, you do not require a Marriage Visitor visa if:

    • You hold settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
    • You have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme, but are waiting on the decision.
    • You’re an Irish citizen.
    • If you intend to convert your civil partnership into a marriage.
    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What are the eligibility criteria for the Marriage Visitor Visa?

    To be eligible to apply for the marriage visitor visa, you must meet the following criteria:

    • Be 18 or over
    • Free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
    • Prove you have a genuine relationship with your significant other
    • You’re visiting the UK for less than 6 months
    • You’ll exit the UK at the end of your visit
    • You’ll not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your home
    • You have sufficient funds to support yourself during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you)
    • You’re able to pay for your return or onward journey

    What is permitted while on a Marriage Visitor Visa UK?

    With a Marriage Visit Visa, holders are permitted to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving and the ceremony has to take place at a licensed venue. You can also travel through the UK in transit to another country.

    Marriage Visitor Visas are only be issued for a maximum of six months, which you will be expected to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK and then return to your home country or country of residence during the valid time. You will be required to leave the UK and return home once your existing visa expires.

    Oppositely, on a UK marriage visitor visa, the following is not permitted:

    • You must not intend to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, Undertake any activities prohibited under the visa, such as work or study.
    • You cannot switch to a different visa category while in the UK, or extend your visa.
    • You will not be allowed to, access public funds.

    What is the Marriage Visitor Visa application process?

    You need to apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa prior to your visit, via the UK Home Office website no more than 3 months before you intend to travel.

    The application process requires you to attend an appointment at a visa processing centre. While at the appointment, you will be required to provide your supporting documents and to explain, amongst other things, the purpose of your intended visit, together with details of your fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner and your future plans.

    You will also need to have your biometrics, fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre.

    What are the Supporting Documents required for a Marriage Visitor Visa?

    When applying for a Marriage Visitor Visa you must submit a number of documents, including:

    • Your valid passport or other valid travel identification.
    • Information on accommodation and travel plans.
    • Details of the arrangements of the marriage or civil partnership, like a confirmation letter from the designated registry office, booking confirmation with the wedding venue and/or proof of any deposit paid.
    • Evidence that you can financially support yourself with, bank statements or payslips.
    • Evidence of your future plans for your relationship, including where you intend to live once you have married or entered into a civil partnership.

    Depending on your circumstances, you may be asked for additional documentation. If you have been married before, you may need to produce a divorce or death certificate for your former spouse to show that you are free to remarry or enter into a civil partnership.

    If you have any questions regarding the UK Marriage Visitor visa, our team can help you. Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How long does the Application take to Process?

      The earliest that you can apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa is three months ahead of your intended date of travel to the UK. Then, you should usually get a decision within 3 weeks, although processing times can vary depending on the caseload of the application centre or other issues impacting service delivery such as any public health restrictions that may be in place at the time of your application.

      What are the Fees Associated with the Marriage visitor visa?

      To apply for your UK marriage visitor visa and book an appointment will cost £95. There is a chance to pay an extra £220 for a decision within 5 working days, if you do not wish to wait 3 weeks, or £956 for a decision within 24 hours (not including weekends or bank holidays).

      What’s the Difference Between the Fiancé Visa and the Marriage Visitor Visa?

      This is a common discussion when it comes to picking the right UK visa!

      If you are looking to remain in the UK after getting married or enter into a civil partnership, the Marriage Visit visa is not the right visa for you, and you should instead look into an alternative visa that will permit you to stay. For example, if your partner has settled status in the UK, like indefinite leave to remain, you may be eligible for the fiancé(e) visa.

      If you are unsure of which visa is best for your circumstance, contact us today to identify which is best for you.

      Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to learn how to apply for the Marriage Visitor visa. Contact us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        How can Total Law Help?

        The chance to marry or enter into a civil partnership with your significant other should be a beautiful and exciting time for every couple. The last thing you want is a stressful experience, which is where our team at Total Law comes in.

        We are a team of immigration solicitors that are experts in UK immigration law – which includes the marriage visitor visa. Our team can support you and your partner through the entire process, and are able to answer any questions to make the process as easy and as straightforward as possible.

        Reach out to us today to start the journey of your visa application to finally get married. We are available to speak seven days a week and can be reached by phone on 0333 305 9375, or contact us online seven days a week via our live chat.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our offices, or via the phone. Get in touch

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  No, one of the conditions of the Standard Visitor Visa is that you must not intend to marry or enter into a civil partnership during your visit to the UK. If your goal is to get married, you must apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa.

                  No, you are not subject to the immigration health surcharge when you apply for a Marriage Visitor visa to the UK.

                  No. The applicant on the UK marriage visitor visa is not allowed to work in the UK or study in the UK on a Marriage Visitor Visa.

                  You will need to demonstrate you will have sufficient funds available to cover the cost of your visit and your return journey as you are not able to apply to access recourse to public funds in the UK.

                  It can be stressful when an application is refused. If your application is unsuccessful, there is not an automatic right of appeal or administrative review to challenge the decision.  You are, however, permitted to challenge the decision through judicial review proceedings and a Pre-action protocol. If this happens to you, contact Total Law.

                  A marriage Visitor visa is valid for up to 6 months. It is expected that during this six-month time frame, you will be required to get married or give the notice to get married or enter into a Civil Partnership in the UK.