What is a Long Stay 'D' Visa?
A long stay ‘D’ visa is a travel document that gives the holder permission to travel to Ireland from a foreign country and stay for longer than 90 days. You can apply for a long stay ‘D’ visa online with the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs. This visa category allows you to visit Ireland for an extended period of time for a variety of reasons. You may need a long-stay visa if you are planning to visit family members or friends, study, work, or simply reside in Ireland for a long period of time. Visa holders will also need to register their details with an immigration officer at a local Garda office as long stays in Ireland require a registration certificate for non-EEA nationals.
Foreign nationals are required to meet certain eligibility requirements in order to apply. Long stay visa requirements include:
- You must be enrolled in an accepted full-time program of study
- You must have proof of tuition payment
- You must have proof of your academic qualifications
- You must have proof that you can financially support yourself for the duration of your course
- You must be able to provide proof of private medical insurance
- You must have a sponsoring family member in Ireland
- You must provide proof of your relationship with your sponsoring family member
- You and your sponsoring family member must meet financial requirements that show you will be able to support yourself without relying on public funds in Ireland
- You must have a notarized statement explaining your reasons for traveling to Ireland
- You must have a work permit prior to applying for a long stay visa by employment
- You must have a letter from your Irish employer noting your income and job title
- You must have proof of your qualifications
- You must be able to provide financial evidence that shows you will be able to support yourself while in Ireland without relying on public funds
Minister of Religion
- You must have a sponsoring religious organization
- You must provide a police clearance
- You must show six months of bank statements and meet financial requirements
- You must have at least three years of experience as a minister of religion
- You must provide proof of private medical insurance
- You must be age 18 or older to apply for a long-stay visa under the volunteer category
- You must provide proof of private medical insurance
- You must be determined to be of good moral character
- You must have an offer to be a volunteer at an existing organization
- The organization you are a volunteer for must agree to financially support you during the time of your visa
You will be required to submit a number of required documents along with your application form. These can include:
- Insurance policy covering expenses
- Valid passport with blank pages left
- Detailed information regarding the nature of your trip
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Proof of significant ties to your home country that show you plan to return
- Proof of your relationship with your family member if visiting family
- If you are going to study or work, you will need a letter on official headed paper from the associated institution or company
Other documents may be required depending on your circumstances and the type of visa you are applying for. A full list of required documents will be listed on the application. Immigration services may request additional documents as they see fit. You will be given a deadline by which to provide evidence. If you do not meet the deadline your visa application may be rejected.
For documents that are not originally in English or Irish, you may be required to submit a certified translation. You will need to obtain certified copies from a qualified third party.
How To Apply
The application process for a long-stay visa can be overwhelming. Visa applicants for long-stay visas can apply online at the government website. The online application will give you a complete list of the supporting documents you must submit. Have your supporting evidence ready along with your valid passport so you can refer to them as you fill out the application. Information given in your visa application must match your supporting documentation. Inaccurate or incomplete applications or documents are the most common reason for visas being delayed or rejected.
You will need to apply under the appropriate visa category for your circumstances. Some applicants may be eligible to apply under more than one category. To determine which category offers you the strongest chances of visa approval, consult a qualified immigration lawyer.
Once you complete your application, you will receive a confirmation page with a reference number which you will need to print out and retain as proof.
You do not typically need a visa interview in order to obtain a long-stay visa. However, in certain circumstances, you may be asked to meet with a consular officer before obtaining a visa.
Costs and Fees
Long-stay visa applications can range in cost depending on if you are seeking a single-entry or multiple-entry visa.
If you need additional registration, such as a residence permit, you will need to pay an additional fee.
- Single entry visa applications $81
- Multiple entry visa applications $136
- Residence Permit $540
There is a $13 fee for the return of original documents by post.
You may also incur fees for obtaining documents or for additional visa services.
If you are a student you must pay your tuition fees in full prior to applying for a long-stay study visa.
You will be required to provide evidence of payment with your visa application.
Because long-stay family visas are some of the most commonly applied for types of visas, it is important to consider that the wait time for a visa decision can be longer than usual depending on how busy the immigration office is. The general timeline given for a long-stay visa decision is about eight weeks. Long-stay visa applications are processed in the order in which they are received. In some circumstances, it can take months to receive a visa decision. Missing or inaccurate documents are one of the most common reasons for a delayed application decision. Working with a qualified immigration specialist such as at Total Law can help to make sure that your application process goes as smoothly as possible.
How Can Total Law Help?
With Total Law, your long-stay visa application can be assembled by our team of professional immigration lawyers. An advisor can ensure your documentation is correct and your visa application has the best chance of approval.
Your Total Law advisor will provide you with all the necessary advice on applying for a long-stay visa.
For further information, contact us today at +1 844 290 6312 or use our online contact form to get in touch with our team of qualified immigration lawyers.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
US citizens are only required to obtain a long-stay visa for visits of at least three months or more. For visits of less than three months, most foreign nationals will require a short-stay visa. However, US citizens are not required to obtain a non-immigrant visa in order to gain entry to Ireland. Even though you don’t require a visa for a short stay, border control always has discretion over will enter the country. An immigration officer will review your passport and documents when you arrive.
If your visa is nearing its expiration date, you have several options. In certain circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for residence or citizenship in Ireland.
No, you do not need to be tested for the coronavirus before being granted a long-stay visa. Covid tests or vaccinations are not required in order to enter Ireland or apply for a visa. However, international airlines may have their own requirements and rules. Check with the airline in your country to ensure that you are able to meet all requirements necessary to travel.