Irish Study Visas for US Citizens

If you are a US citizen planning to study in Ireland, you may be surprised to find out that you do not need to apply for a visa. However, if you plan to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days, you must register for a permit with the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs. Obtaining the proper immigration permission is important to carrying out your study in Ireland.

If you are planning to study or attend university in Ireland, contact Total Law for assistance. Speak to one of our expert immigration advisers today.

Call +1 844 290 6312 or use the online contact form to get in touch regarding your path to study in Ireland.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is an Irish Student Visa?

    A study visa, or student visa, is a document that gives the holder permission to enter Ireland in order to study. You may be visiting Ireland to partake in university studies, an English language course, a training or apprenticeship program, or other professional or academic coursework. An Irish study visa is typically valid for a length of up to one year, and can then be renewed.

    US citizens do not need a visa in order to enter Ireland, so they will not need to apply for a study visa. However, you will still need to get permission to enter the country from the immigration officer at border control. Then, if you will stay in Ireland for longer than three months, you will need to register for a long-stay visa or Irish Residence Permit. Both visa applicants and non-visa-required citizens will need to register prior to the expiration of their landing stamps.

    US citizens also do not require a visa to visit or study in Northern Ireland. However, if you do need a visa in Northern Ireland, it will need to be processed through the UKVIS and not the Irish consulate as it is considered part of the UK.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Eligibility to Study in Ireland

    As a US citizen, you do not need a visa in order to enter the country to study in Ireland. However, you must meet the following requirements:

    • As a US citizen and non-EEA/Swiss national, you need to provide a signed letter of enrollment to your course of study
    • Have proof you have paid your course fees
    • If you are under the age of 18, you must have a guardian in Ireland
    • If you intend to stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days, you will have to register for a long-stay visa or permission to remain in Ireland.

    Required Documents

    If you are applying for a long-stay visa in order to study, the visa application center will require you to provide evidence of the claim for your visit. The supporting documentation needed will be explained to you during the online application process. Required documentation may include:centre

    • Full contact details
    • A current and valid passport and previous passports
    • Two full-color passport size photographs
    • Documents accounting for any gaps in your academic history, such as a gap year or semester off.
    • Proof of your academic ability as it relates to your course of study in Ireland
    • Any previous visa refusals
    • Bank statements that show you can support yourself for the duration of your stay without relying on public funds
    • Original letter from your university or course of study on official headed paper
    • Proof you have paid your tuition fees
    • Proof of private medical insurance

    Original documents are requested in some cases. To allow yourself time to obtain all of the necessary documentation, it is advised to begin applying for your visa three months prior to your planned travel date.

    If additional supporting documents are needed during the application process, a visa officer will contact you. You will need to submit any requested documents to the immigration office by the deadline given in order to meet the visa requirements.

    Even if you do not require a visa in order to enter Ireland, you will need to have certain documents with you for the immigration officer to review in order to obtain permission to enter the country. These can include:

    • A current and valid passport
    • Proof of your intent to study, such as an acceptance letter or receipt of your tuition fees
    • Proof of where you will be staying in Ireland
    • Proof of significant ties in your home country and/or a return ticket
    • Proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while in Ireland

    How To Register for Permission

    To stay in Ireland longer than 3 months, citizens from a non-EEA country such as the US will be required to apply for a long-stay visa or register for permission to remain with the Garda National Immigration Bureau.

    It is best to wait to purchase your travel tickets until after you have received your visa if one is required. You will need your visa and tuition information when you enter Ireland. An immigration officer will review your documents and decide if you are able to enter the country. The officer will stamp your passport with a landing stamp that allows you temporary permission to stay in Ireland.

    Whether you arrive with a long-stay entry visa or not, if you stay in Ireland for longer than 3 months you will need to register your details with the Garda National Immigration Bureau before your landing stamp expires.
    Citizens of a non-EEA country can register with a local immigration officer in the district they are living in. If you do not require a visa, you must have minimum funds of €3,000 at the time of registration.

    You must also be:

    • Enrolled in full-time studies
    • Able to provide a signed letter of enrollment from your university or institution
    • Able to provide proof you have paid all tuition fees in advance

    Costs and Fees

    Depending on the path you take to study in Ireland, you may incur different costs and fees. Full payment is required at the time of application for visas and permits. Some costs and fees you may incur in order to study in Ireland are:

    • Tuition for your study program
    • Visa fee of €60
    • Irish Residence Permit fee of €300 (exempt if you have refugee status)
    • Fees to translate or certify documents
    • €3,000 in reserve funds at the time you enter Ireland if you do not require a visa.

    Fees can usually be paid by bank transfer or money order.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your visa today Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      Processing Time

      Long-stay student visas can take 4 to 8 weeks from the time you apply online until you receive an answer.

      It is important to make sure that your application package is complete and accurate before you submit it so that your application is not delayed or rejected.

      It is recommended to begin applying for a visa three months before your planned date of travel.

      Take the first step. Request a Fact Finding + FREE Consultation Contact Us

        Fill out the form

        How Can Total Law Help?

        With Total Law, your student visa application can be assembled by our team of professional immigration lawyers.

        A Total Law advisor can provide you with up-to-date information to proceed with your application for studying abroad.

        For further information, contact us today at +1 844 290 6312 or use our online contact form to get in touch with our team of qualified immigration lawyers.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  As a US citizen, you will need to show proof of your intention to study before you can receive the student visa. The required documentation includes:

                  • Acceptance letter from the school.
                  • Acceptance letter from Ireland’s Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP).
                  • Tuition information and proof that you have paid the tuition fees for your studies.
                  • Evidence of sufficient funds for your study time.
                  • US citizens will not need to show proof of English language proficiency

                  International students are granted permission to work in Ireland part-time, or up to 20 hours per week, during the school year without the need to receive any other permits. During the holidays you are allowed to work full time or up to 40 hours per week.


                  The Irish Study Visa is valid for up to one year. You will need to renew your visa every year during the course of your study program if it is longer than one year. If you wish to stay in Ireland after your graduation, you will be required to apply for a different type of visa.


                  The Long Stay Type D Visa application fee is 60 €. You can transfer this fee from your US bank or pay online or by money order.