O-3 Visa

The O-3 Visa is designed for dependents of O-1 and O-2 Visa holders to allow them to accompany their O-Visa spouse or parent to the United States.

Applying for dependent visas can be complex and involve presenting extensive supporting documents. If you need the support of a specialist immigration lawyer, contact Total Law today for immediate support and advice on +1 844 290 6312.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is an O-3 Visa?

    The O-3 Visa is for the husbands, wives, and unmarried children under 21 of a non-immigrant O-1 or O-2 visa holder.

    According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), the O Visa category has been designed for individuals with extraordinary ability and their support personnel.

    The O-1 Visa is for a person of extraordinary ability, while the O-2 Visa is for support personnel to an O-1 non-immigrant worker.

    If an O-1 Visa applicant is permitted entry to the United States, they may apply to bring their eligible dependents with them. This includes husbands, wives, or unmarried children aged under spouse and unmarried children under 21 years.

    If a dependent marries or reaches age 21, they must file for a change of status or leave the United States as it is not possible for them to continue to stay as an O-3 dependent visa holder.

    Dependents are not permitted to work in the United States, but they may study without applying for work visa or a change of status. It is also permissible for O-3 Visa holders to extend their stay (as long as the principal O Visa holder is eligible).

    The O-3 Visa does not lead to a green card (also known as permanent residence). However, if you wish to apply for permanent residence or U.S. citizenship, it may be possible to apply to change your immigration status to another eligible route.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews
    Reviews.io Logo

    Who Can Apply for the O-3 Visa?

    As outlined, the O-3 Visa is suitable for an immediate family member (spouses or an unmarried child or children under age 21) of an O1 or O-2 principal visa holder.

    Extended family members of the principal visa holder (such as parents, grandparents, siblings, or cousins) are not eligible for the O-3 Visa.

    In order to be issued with this dependent non-immigrant visa, applicants must demonstrate that they have a genuine relationship with the primary applicant.

    This means that you must provide proof of the relationship, a marriage certificate as well as proof that the primary O visa holder has the appropriate visa status.

    As well as this, the O3 Visa applicant is required to meet the eligibility criteria for application. This may include a clear criminal history, and a good record of any past US visa permissions.

    Some of the grounds for an inadmissible visa application may include the following:

    • Documented history of criminal activity
    • Previous periods of breaching US immigration law or receiving a penalty for overstaying a visa

    If you have any concerns about your eligibility for the O-3 Visa, it is recommended to contact a specialist immigration lawyer to discuss your individual case.

    How to Apply

    To apply for the O3 Visa, eligible applicants should complete online Form DS-160. This is the first step for all individuals applying to come to enter the U.S on a non-immigrant visa.

    It takes approximately 90 minutes to complete this part of the visa application process, and following the completion of this form, you may be able to schedule your visa interview at an embassy or consulate.

    It is strongly recommended to write down your application ID, which will be displayed at the top of your page during your application. It is also advisable to save your progress during the application process as you are completing it.

    Ensure that you print out the confirmation page from your Form DS-160 as it will be required to submit with your application.

    You will be requested to pay the fee for the visa application fee at this stage of the visa application process and to arrange your visa interview.

    The O-3 Visa can be applied for at the same time as the principal visa holder applies (O-1 Visa), or alternatively, can be done after the O-1 Visa has been approved and issued.

    Applying from outside the USA

    When applying for an O-3 visa from outside of the U.S, you must go through the U.S embassy or consulate in your home country. You’ll complete the visa application, attend an interview, and receive the visa stamp in your passport before traveling to the U.S. The processing requires you to fill out Form DS-160, attending a visa interview at the U.S embassy, and presenting the required documents. You must prove your relationship to the O-1 or O-2 visa holders, as well as proving your intent to return to your home country, and prove financial stability. Once your O-3 visa is approved, you may enter the U.S with the visa stamp in your passport.

    O-3 in-country application

    If you’re already in the U.S under a different non-immigrant visa status, you may apply to switch to the O-3 visa without needing to leave the country. You must submit your application to the USCIS to complete the switch. You must fill in Form I-539 (the application to extend or change non-immigrant status). You must include supporting documents such as the O-1 or )-2 visa holders approval notice, proof of relationship to them, and financial documentation. Once approved, your status will change to O-3.

    two ladies reading documents on a desk

    O3 Visa Interview

    For those aged 14 to 79 seeking a US O-3 visa, a mandatory interview is required at the specific US Embassy where you’re applying. Early scheduling is advisable due to potential delays caused by high embassy workloads.

    It may be possible for O-1/ O-2 and O-3 Visa applicants to attend their visa interviews together. You’ll receive a confirmation letter for the interview, which you must bring with you. During the interview, you should bring your documents, and a US Embassy official will inquire about your background, education, and the purpose of your US visit. Emphasize your connection with the primary O-1 or O-2 visa holder. If your spouse or parent holds an O-2 visa, you’ll also need to demonstrate solid ties to your home country to show your intent to return after your visa expires.

    The documents you must bring to your interview are:

    • Your passport
    • Proof of payment for visa application fee
    • DS-160 confirmation page with barcode
    • Visa appointment confirmation
    • Visa photos
    • Form I-797
    • Proof of relationship to principal visa holder and ties to home country
    • Any other documents that the U.S embassy require you to bring

    O3 Visa Document Checklist

    Applicants must submit the required supporting documents as part of the application process for the O-3 Visa.

    The following documents are required for the O-3 Visa application:

    • Valid passport or travel document
    • The confirmation page from Form DS-160
    • Passport-style photo according to the specified style
    • Copy of principal visa holder Form I-797 Notice of Approval
    • Signed Form I-129 Petition for a Non-immigrant Worker
    • Birth certificate or marriage/ civil partnership certificate to provide evidence of the relationship with the visa holder
    • Evidence that you can financially support yourself in the United States
    • Other documents that may be relevant to your case and which may help with your application
    • A certified translation of any official documents in a language other than English
    • Interview confirmation letter

    If you fail to submit one of the documents in the appropriate format, your application may be delayed or rejected. If you have any doubts about the information required to complete form one, it is recommended to discuss this with an immigration lawyer.

    What Can You Do on the O-3 Visa?

    There are strict limits on what O-3 Visa holders can do in the United States. The visa allows eligible individuals to enter the United States and live with their families but does not entitle them to a work authorization.

    There are no limits on the amount of travel to and from any country of the U.S. that an individual can do as an O-3 Visa holder.

    Some of the permitted activities include the following:

    • Obtain a driver’s license
    • Open a bank or savings account
    • Undertake a part- or full-time course of study

    Some of the prohibited activities include:

    • Work or hold employment
    • Apply for or get a Social Security Number
    • Stay in the U.S. for longer than the principal visa holder (without applying for an extension of the visa or a change of status)

    Can O-3 Visa Holders Get EAD?

    O-3 Visa holders are not eligible to work in the U.S. and are therefore not permitted to get an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

    There are strict consequences for individuals who violate the terms of their student visa while.

    To ensure that you do not breach the terms of your visa, you should be fully aware of permitted and prohibited activities.

    How Long Does it Take to Get the O-3 Visa?

    The average time it takes to get the O-3 Visa is approximately six weeks; however, some applicants may have to wait up to three months or longer.

    The wait time varies depending on the complexity of your individual case as well as the available resources of the embassy abroad the consulate processing your application.

    There may be an opportunity for you to pay a fee for a faster processing time, but you will be given this information at the time of your application if this applies to your case.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to learn how to apply for an O-3 Visa. Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              If you wish to find out how you can settle in the US with your partner, our team is happy to assist. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                O-3 Visa holders are not allowed to get a Social Security Number (SSN) or work in paid employment.

                O-3 Visa holders are permitted to do the following:

                • Attend school, college and other courses of study
                • Apply for a driver’s license
                • Open a bank account
                • Receive a taxpayer identification number (ITIN)

                If your O-3 Visa is granted, you will receive initial permission to stay for up to three years. If the primary O-1 or O-2 applicant is eligible to renew their visa, and the O-3 Visa holder meets the eligibility requirements, it may be possible to renew it before the visa expires.

                In most cases, the extension will be granted for another year. To apply for an extension of the O-3 Visa, it is necessary to complete and submit Form I-539 to apply for an extension of stay.

                Applying for any U.S. visa is complex and can involve extensive document gathering and the submission of complex immigration forms.

                While working with an immigration lawyer cannot guarantee that you will be issued a green card or your chosen visa, the likelihood of a successful application may be increased by working with an experienced immigration specialist.

                We offer bespoke support packages based on your needs and your individual circumstances. Some of the services we offer include the following:

                • An initial consultation and assessment of eligibility for your chosen immigration route with a dedicated lawyer where we will listen to the circumstances of your case and advise you accordingly
                • Offer ongoing support as you gather the required documents for your chosen visa category
                • Communicate with you and your dependent family members regularly while your application is processing
                • Provide certified translations of any official documents not in English
                • Liaise on your behalf with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) while your application is pending

                To find out more about the bespoke services and packages we offer, contact our immigration advisers for immediate advice and support.

                We are available to speak over the phone and via the online contact form. We look forward to assisting you with your case.

                To be eligible for a green card, you must keep your O-3 status and stick to the rules as agreed when you received your visa. Your sponsor can sponsor you for a family-based green card by filing an immigrant petition on your behalf. The petition type depends on your relationship with your sponsor, such as Form I-130 or Form I-140.

                The O-3 visa is typically valid for the same duration as the O-1 or O-2 visa holder. If on an O3 visa for employment reasons, you are entitled to stay in the U.S for up to three years, after which time you will be able to apply for an extension if you’re still eligible.