What is the B2 Tourist Visa?
The B2 Tourist Visa is a temporary, non-immigrant visa that covers more types of travel to the US for leisure, tourism, or other non-business purposes. If their application is successful, foreign citizens can visit the US for a maximum period of six months. You should apply for the B2 Tourist Visa if you want to come to the US for one of the following reasons:
- Taking a holiday
- Visiting a friend or family
- Engaging in tourist activities
- Coming for a concert
- Attending non-academic courses that take up less than 18 hours a week
- Receiving medical treatment.
You cannot travel to the US on the B2 Tourist Visa if you intend to:
- Seek employment
- Engage in an activity that you will receive payment for
- Work as a journalist.
On the B2 Tourist Visa, you will be able to leave and reenter the US multiple times without losing it. The maximum validity of the B2 Tourist Visa is 180 days.
What are the requirements for the B2 Tourist Visa?
The main requirements that each applicant needs to meet to be eligible for the B2 Tourist Visa are being able to prove that they intend to leave the US once their visa expires and having enough funds to cover their stay in the country.
Any person who is a national of a foreign country and wants to come to the US for leisure purposes can apply for the B2 Tourist Visa. If, however, during your stay you want to engage in business activities, you need to apply for the B1 Business Visitor Visa.
Citizens of the countries that belong to the Visa Waiver Program can travel to the US for tourism without having to first apply for the B2 Tourist Visa. The program covers 38 countries and territories. Most member states of the European Union currently take part in the program. Before you start applying for the B2 Tourist Visa check if your home country is exempt from it. If you are a national of a country participating in the Visa Waiver Program, you will be able to travel and stay in the US for up to 90 days.
How to apply for the B2 Tourist Visa?
If you want to apply for the B2 Tourist Visa, you can do it at a US Embassy or Consulate in your home country. It is also possible to submit the application at an embassy or consulate in another country that is not the US where you are not a resident, but the process will take longer.
To apply for the B2 Tourist Visa, you need to:
- Complete and submit the DS-160 Form online. When you finish, print the confirmation page as you will need to bring it to your visa interview.
- Upload a digital photograph.
- Pay the B2 Tourist Visa fee. You can complete the payment online via a bank transfer or in cash at a bank.
- Schedule and attend a visa interview at a US Embassy or Consulate. Remember to bring the DS-160 form confirmation page, as well as a receipt for the visa fee.
To make the process of applying for the B2 Tourist Visa stress-free, seek assistance from an immigration lawyer.
What documents do I need to include in the application for the B2 Tourist Visa?
In addition to submitting the application form, you will need to prepare and include the following documents:
- A valid passport
- A passport size photograph
- Documents showing the purpose and itinerary of your trip
- Documentation of your previous visits to the US, if applicable
- Evidence showing that you have enough finances to cover your trip
- Proof of ties in your home country that will make you return once your visa expires, for example, a job contract or an apartment lease
- A statement from a doctor explaining why you need treatment in the US if you are coming for medical treatment
When you have prepared all the required documentation, you can contact the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country. To make sure you submit all the required evidence, seek advice from an immigration lawyer. If you fail to include the required documentation, your application can be delayed.
Can the B2 Tourist visa be denied?
Each year hundreds of thousands of people apply for the B2 Tourist Visa to the US. The US authorities are committed to making sure only individuals who do not intend to misuse or overstay the visa. Hence, even though the tourist visa is relatively easy to obtain, it is possible for applicants to have their B2 Tourist visa application rejected. Common reasons for the B2 Tourist Visa being denied include:
- Applicants having a nonimmigrant intent. That can happen when, for example, you have insufficient ties in your home country, which could make you want to overstay your visa to the US.
- Applicants having a criminal record. Not all crimes that you have committed will lead to your visa being denied, but serious offences can result in a negative outcome of your application.
- Applicants lying on their visa application. When you fill and submit your visa application make sure to answer all questions truthfully as lies could lead to your visa being denied.
- Applicants having previously violated the terms of their visa. If in the past you have overstayed your visa or engaged in a type of activity that your visa was not intended for, it might be challenging for you to receive a visa again.
How long is the B2 Tourist Visitor Visa valid for?
The B2 Tourist Visitor Visa allows you to stay in the US for up to 180 days. The B2 Tourist Visitor Visa is a multiple entry visa, which means you can leave and reenter the US as many times as you want during this time.
If your stay in the US is coming to an end but you want to stay longer, you can apply to extend your visa. You can do it without having to first leave the US, by submitting the I-539 Form, Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant status. You will also have to submit supporting documents such as a proof of having enough funds to stay in the US for longer. If your application is successful, you will be able to stay in the country for additional 180 days.
How can Total Law help?
Our highly qualified lawyers have expert knowledge of the US immigration system and can help you submit the application no matter what type of visa you are applying for. They will assess your eligibility for the US visas and advise you on how to proceed with your application.
If you use the services of our immigration lawyers, they will support you during every step of the application and will be there to answer any questions you might have. Our lawyers will help you gather all the required documents and prepare a portfolio that will prove your eligibility for the B2 Toursit Visitor Visa. Thanks to the help of an immigration lawyer, you can be sure that your application is complete and submitted correctly. This way you will be able to avoid mistakes that could delay your application or lead to your visa being denied.
If you want to find out more about how our immigration lawyers can help, call us today on +1 844 290 6312.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
A visa interview is an important step of the application process for most US visas. Generally, all individuals between the age of 14 and 79 must attend the visa interview. Those who are younger than 13 years old or older than 80 years old are not required to do it.
If you are traveling to a foreign country and you have a layover in the US, you will not have to apply for the B2 Tourist visa provided that you do not leave the airport. If you intend to leave the airport while waiting for your connecting flight, it is necessary for you to apply for a visa.
Citizens of foreign countries who want to visit the US for tourism purposes can apply for the B2 Tourist Visa. To be eligible for it, it is necessary that you demonstrate evidence showing that you intend to leave the country once your visa expires. You can also show that you have sufficient funds to cover your trip to and your stay in the US.
If you want to apply for the B2 Tourist Visa, you will need to pay the application fee of $160. You might be required to pay other fees as well, for example, visa issuance fees. Whether or not you will have to pay them depends on your home country’s relationship with the US.
The processing time of the application for the B2 Tourist Visa varies depending on how busy the Consulate or Embassy where you are applying is. Usually, however, the processing of the B2 Tourist Visa application takes between a couple of weeks to two months.