What is the Medical Treatment Visa?
The Medical Treatment Visa is intended for those who want to receive medical treatment in Ireland or attend an appointment at an Irish private hospital. All non-EEA citizens, including Canadian citizens, need to apply for a visa to be able to enter Ireland.
To qualify for the Medical Treatment Visa, you have to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are coming to Ireland to undergo a medical procedure that cannot be carried out in your home country
- At the time of applying you have an appointment scheduled at a private hospital in Ireland
- You have enough money to pay for the treatment and cover all the expenses during your stay in Ireland.
If your application is successful, you will be able to spend up to 90 days in Ireland. It is not possible to extend the Medical Treatment Visa, which means that you will have to receive your treatment within these 3 months.
Our lawyers can assess your circumstances and help you determine whether you are eligible to apply for the Medical Treatment Visa.
How can Canadian citizens apply for the Medical Treatment Visa?
The application process for the Medical Treatment Visa starts with submitting the online application form using the AVATS system. In the form, you have to explain why you want to travel to Ireland and you need to provide personal details.
The next step is to pay the visa application fee. How much you will have to pay depends on whether you are applying for a single-entry or multiple-entry visa. The fee for the former is €60 and for the latter €100. The fee is non-refundable even if your application is rejected or withdrawn so you should make sure your case is as strong as possible from the start.
Once you settle the payment for the visa application fee, you have to start preparing supporting documents that prove your eligibility for the Medical Treatment Visa. The exact evidence you need to submit varies depending on your individual circumstances but documents everyone has to provide include:
- Passport valid for at least six months past the date of your stay in Ireland
- Two passport size photographs
- Receipt confirming that you paid the visa application fee
- Signed and dated application summary sheet displayed after you submit the online application form
- Application letter detailing why you want to travel to Ireland
- Cost estimation for your trip
- Letter from a referring hospital in your home country explaining what your condition and suggested treatment are
- Letter from a private hospital in Ireland confirming that you scheduled an appointment with them
- Details of your accommodation in Ireland
- Proof confirming that you have private medical insurance
- Proof confirming that you have enough money to support yourself during their stay in Ireland
- Evidence showing that you have ties in your home country that will make you return there after your visa expires.
After you gather all the documents, you have to send them to an immigration office for processing. You can find out where to send them to by checking the information on your application summary sheet.
What information about the treatment do I need to provide?
To be able to obtain the Medical Treatment Visa, you have to ask a referring hospital in Canada to write you a letter in which they provide the following information:
- Contact details from the hospital
- Contact details from your doctor
- Detailed description of your medical condition, diagnosis, and prognosis
- Explanation of what medical treatment is recommended
- Reason why the procedure cannot be carried out in Canada or another country closer to where you live
- Statement that your health is good enough for you to travel to Ireland and return to Canada after the treatment
- Confirmation that your doctor has discussed the treatment with the hospital in Ireland where you scheduled the appointment
- Information on whether the treatment is available in other countries.
You also have to ask the private hospital in Ireland where you scheduled the appointment to write you another letter in which they include the following:
- Contact details for the hospital and a doctor who will carry out the procedure
- Confirmation that the hospital in Ireland has discussed the treatment with your referring hospital in Canada
- Confirmation that the Irish hospital agrees that the procedure needs to be done in Ireland
- Dates and duration of the treatment
- Estimated recovery time
- Confirmation that no public funds will be used to treat your condition
- Statement that you will be healthy enough to leave Ireland before your visa expires
- Estimated cost of the treatment.
If you fail to provide some of this information, the processing of your application might be delayed or you might be denied the visa.
What is the waiting time for the Medical Treatment Visa?
Most applications for the Medical Treatment Visa are processed within 8 weeks of the immigration office receiving your application with all the required documents. Nevertheless, applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis so, if your situation is complex, you might have to wait longer to hear the decision.
Similarly, if you fail to provide some information or documents, the processing will be delayed as the immigration office will most likely request that you submit them.
If your application is successful, you will be able to travel to Ireland. When you arrive, an official working at the border will take a look at your documents and decide whether or not to grant you permission to enter Ireland. If they do admit you, you will have the right to remain in the country for up to 90 days.
If your application is unsuccessful, you will be issued a letter explaining the reasons for the visa refusal. Hire one of our lawyers to find out what your other options to come to Ireland are if you are denied the Medical Treatment Visa.
How can Total Law help?
Applying for the Medical Treatment Visa can be complex as there is a lot of information about your suggested procedure that you need to submit. Our lawyers can explain to you in detail what evidence and documents you have to provide.
Thanks to the help of our lawyers, the application process will be smooth and stress-free. They will guide you through each step, making sure you understand what is expected from you, and they will go over your application to check if you included all the necessary details.
By hiring one of our highly-qualified lawyers, you can maximise the chances of your application being approved.
Call us today on +353 061 518 025 to find out more about how Total Law can help. We will answer any questions and clear any doubts you might have.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
In your application letter, you have to explain where you will be staying during your visit to Ireland and you need to provide the dates you will stay there. If you will be staying at a hotel, hostel, or guesthouse, you have to submit a reservation confirmation. If you will be staying with a host such as a friend or a family member, you need to provide their personal details, their address, and evidence confirming that they invited you to stay with them. You also have to provide proof of your host’s address. You can use, for example, their recent utility bill.
There is no minimum amount of money you need to have to be able to obtain the Medical Treatment Visa. Nevertheless, you have to prove that you are able to pay for your medical treatment in Ireland in full and that you have enough finances to cover other expenses during your stay such as accommodation.
The visa officer will analyse your circumstances and decide whether the funds you have are enough. To prove your finances, you have to submit a recent bank statement on headed bank paper. You can also use a printed internet statement but it needs to be officially certified by the bank.
The Medical Treatment Visa is a Short Stay ‘C’ Visa, which means it is valid for 90 days. After this period, you must leave Ireland. Unfortunately, it is not possible to get an extension of the Medical Treatment Visa. If you want to spend more than 3 months in Ireland, you have to obtain a Long Stay ‘D’ Visa to Ireland.