Total Law
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8pm


Temporary Resident Permit

If you’re unable to enter Canada due to inadmissibility, you may be able to enter with a temporary resident permit (TRP).

For more information about Canadian permits and visas, and expert advice on how to successfully apply for entry with Canadian immigration authorities, get in touch with one of our immigration law specialists on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Temporary Resident Permit?

    The Canadian temporary resident permit (TRP) is a document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that allows someone who would normally be inadmissible into Canada to enter and stay in Canada on a temporary basis.

    Inadmissibility can be judged based on security or medical reasons, or if you have a criminal record.

    You may also be unable to enter Canada if you are deemed non-compliant with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or Regulations.

    In order to be eligible for a TRP, you must have a valid reason to travel to Canada. You must also be able to demonstrate that the need for your visit to Canada outweighs the health and safety risks to Canadian society.

    Inadmissibility to Canada can be a serious issue that requires a great deal of careful consideration and planning to help overcome. Total Law’s legal professionals can help you overcome these hurdles and assist you in obtaining a TRP and travelling to Canada, whatever your reasons are for doing so. Reach out to us on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online for more information.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Why Might I Be Inadmissible to Canada?

    There are many reasons as to why you may be deemed inadmissible to Canada.

    Some of the reasons the Canadian government may deem you to be inadmissible include the following:

    • Security reasons, including:
      • Espionage
      • Subversion (attempts to overthrow a government, etc.)
      • Violence or terrorism
      • Membership in an organization involved in any of the above
    • Human or international rights violations, including:
      • War crimes
      • Crimes against humanity
      • Being a senior official in a government engaged in gross human rights violations or subject to international sanctions
    • Committing a crime, including driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
    • Organized crime, including membership in an organization that takes part in organized criminal activity, people smuggling or money laundering
    • Medical reasons – this includes medical conditions that:
      • Endanger public health
      • Endanger public safety
      • Cause excessive demand on health or social services
    • Financial reasons – if you’re unable or unwilling to support yourself and your family members
    • Misrepresentation, which includes providing false information or withholding information directly related to decisions made under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)
    • Failure to comply with any aspect of the IRPA
    • Having an inadmissible family member

    What is Non-Compliance?

    In addition, you may also be unable to enter Canada on grounds of non-compliance. This means that you may have directly or indirectly failed to satisfy the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or Regulations.

    For example, instances of non-compliance include the following:

    • You were not examined when you entered Canada
    • You did not obtain a valid temporary resident visa (TRV)
    • Your visa expired before you entered Canada
    • You did not have a passport or it expired before you entered Canada
    • You overstayed your period of authorized stay
    • You worked or studied without a valid permit

    If you have been deemed inadmissible on grounds of non-compliance, you may be eligible to enter Canada with a TRP.

    What Are the Eligibility Requirements for a Temporary Resident Permit?

    In order to be eligible for a TRP, you must demonstrate that you have a valid reason to travel to Canada despite your inadmissibility.

    Your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or border services officer. You must demonstrate that your visit is justified, even if the reason for your inadmissibility seems minor.

    As a temporary resident permit holder, you must to do the following:

    • Comply with the conditions imposed on your TRP
    • Not work or study without a valid work or study permit
    • Not re-enter Canada without prior authorization
    • Leave Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay

    A TRP will only be valid for a limited period of time as appropriate to your visit. For example, if your reason for visiting is to attend a conference, your TRP will likely only be valid for the duration of that conference.

    If you have family members travelling with you to Canada, they will also be deemed inadmissible and will each require their own TRP.

    They will only be granted a TRP if the immigration or border services officer deems that it’s justifiable for all family members to remain in Canada.

    Initial Temporary Resident Permit Application

    How you apply for a Canada Temporary Resident Permit will depend on whether you’re applying from a visa-required or a visa-exempt country.

    If you’re applying from a visa-exempt country, you may be issued a TRP if your initial application for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) was refused.

    Alternatively, your country or region’s visa application centre (VAC) may have its own dedicated application form for TRPs. If so, you will need to send your application to your local VAC by mail or courier.

    If you’re applying from a visa-required country, you will need to apply for a visitor visa as well as a TRP. You must also include supporting documents outlining why you’re inadmissible to Canada and why it’s justified for you to enter.

    You will need to submit your temporary resident permit application and Canadian visitor visa application together at the same time. These will need to be sent off to your local Canadian visa office

    You may also be required to attend an interview so that an officer can assess your application for this resident permit.

    For more information about how to apply for an initial temporary resident permit and what to include in your application, contact one of our specialised immigration lawyers on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online.

    What Are the Fees and Processing Times For the Temporary Resident Permit?

    Temporary resident permits cost CAN$200 each.

    You may also need to pay an additional CAN$85 if you need to give your biometric information as part of your application.

    If you need to apply for a visitor visa in addition to your TRP, this will cost an additional CAN$100.

    You must ensure that you pay for each and every service you require all at the same time when you submit your application.

    Note that your payment for a TRP will not be refunded, even if your application is refused.

    TRP applications typically take at least a few months to be processed, but this time may vary depending on where you’re applying from and how busy the service is when you apply.

    Can I Apply For Another Temporary Resident Permit After My First?

    If you’re already in Canada on a TRP and need to extend your stay, you can apply for another TRP.

    If you’re in Canada with family members who each have their own TRP, they will need to apply for new TRPs at the same time as you.

    There is no guarantee that your application for another TRP will be approved. The following are examples of things that may negatively affect your eligibility for a second TRP:

    • You did not comply with the conditions imposed on your TRP
    • You remained in Canada beyond the validity of your status in Canada
    • You left Canada and re-entered without prior authorization
    • You were found to be inadmissible to Canada on grounds other than those for which the initial TRP was issued
    • You worked or studied without the required work or study permit
    • You submitted an expired passport or a passport which is about to expire
    • You did not resolve the situation that renders you inadmissible despite having been counseled by IRCC to do so

    When applying for another TRP, you will also be assessed on the whether:

    • You met the obligations and the conditions of your stay
    • You remain inadmissible or in non-compliance
    • Another TRP is justified in the circumstances
    • Enforcement action is warranted

    You may also be required to resolve your inadmissibility or non-compliance issue, or provide evidence that you have taken action to do so.

    Your application for another TRP may be refused if your inadmissibility or non-compliance can be resolved by leaving Canada, or if you’ve not taken the required action to resolve your situation.

    When Can I Apply For Another Temporary Resident Permit?

    You can apply for another Temporary Resident Permit Canada as long as your previous one is still valid.

    However, there is no guarantee that your application for another TRP will be processed before your current TRP expires.

    You will not be able to have your status as temporary resident extended if your current TRP expires.

    You should also ensure that there is enough time before your passport’s expiry date to enable you to apply for another TRP. There should also be enough time before your passport’s expiry to allow for:

    • The period of time required to process your application, and
    • The period of time you are seeking to remain in Canada if you are successful in obtaining another TRP

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on your Canadian immigration case. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      What Documents Do I Need to Provide For Another Temporary Residence Permit?

      You and your family members must each provide the following with your second TRP application:

      • Two passport sized photographs
      • A copy of a passport (or valid travel document that allowed for your entry into Canada)
      • A copy of your current TRP and work or study permit, if you have one
      • Supporting documentation of any action you have taken to resolve your inadmissibility, or your non-compliance. This could include the following:
        • A valid passport
        • Substantial improvement in financial situation
        • A record suspension (formerly a pardon) or an approved rehabilitation
        • A new temporary resident visa
      • Evidence of how you will support yourself financially or be supported financially in Canada, and how you will pay for transportation to leave Canada
      • A letter along with supporting documents providing the following information outlining the following:
        • Why your situation is exceptional and how your circumstances justify a new TRP
        • Any change to your personal circumstances that have occurred since the initial TRP was issued
        • The details you gave when you were issued your first TRP
        • Whether you have applied unsuccessfully for an immigrant visa to live with a family member (sponsor) in Canada and whether you still live with your sponsor
        • Whether you have been convicted of a new offence since you first received your TRP
        • Proof of any action that you have taken to resolve your inadmissibility or non-compliance
        • The details surrounding your inadmissibility

      Getting your documents in order for a TRP application is crucial. Total Law offers a complete and comprehensive document checking service that gives you peace of mind when applying for a first or second TRP. Take the first step and call us on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online for more information about how our services can help you travel to Canada.

      How to Apply for Another Temporary Resident Permit

      You will need to fill out the relevant forms and pay the same fees as your initial TRP.

      After filling in the forms, including the necessary supporting documents as listed in the Documents Checklist, and paying the fees, you will need to post your application to the Canadian Case Processing Centre in Edmonton.

      If you and your family members are each applying for a new TRP, their applications will need to be included with yours in the same envelope.

      After You Apply for Another Temporary Resident Permit

      After sending your application off, you will receive a letter about your case and you’ll be told if you need to take any further action.

      During this time, your application may be referred from the Case Processing Centre to a local office. If so, then they will contact you to obtain additional information or clarification. This may take up to three months.

      Once they receive the additional information needed, the local office will complete the final stages of processing. They may also invite you to an interview.

      Once processing is complete, the local office will notify you by mail of their decision.

      If your application for a new TRP is approved, you will receive a new TRP with a new validity date.

      If your application for a new TRP is refused, you will be informed of this and you will have to leave Canada when or before your current TRP expires. If your TRP has already expired when you are notified of your application’s refusal, you will have to leave Canada when you receive the notification.

      If your application is rejected on the grounds of it being incomplete, you will have to start the application process again. Your application may be considered incomplete if any of the following apply:

      • It is not signed
      • The required fees are missing
      • The passport photos are missing
      • Any other important documents are missing

      If your application is rejected due to being incomplete, you will not be refunded the cost for your incomplete application.

      How Can Total Law Help?

      It’s very possible that some applicants may only be able to travel internationally with a special visa like a temporary resident permit. Canada has strict rules and regulations in place to control who enters its borders, so a TRP can be a crucial document for those needing to travel.

      Because of this, it’s essential that you ensure that your application for a TRP is approved first time round, and without any unnecessary delays.

      Luckily, Total Law is here to help. We are experts in Canadian immigration law who can support you with you and your family’s temporary resident visa applications. We can assist you in making sure that you fit the eligibility criteria for the permit, and ensure that you have all the necessary knowledge to successfully get your application approved.

      We can also liaise with the Canada Border Services Agency and Canadian consulate on your behalf to help address any issues or problems that may occur during the application process.

      For more information and to speak to a Canadian immigration lawyer today, contact us today on +1 844 290 6312, or get in touch with us online.

      If you have any questions about your temporary resident permit application, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

        Fill out the form

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments in all of our offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  Yes. TRP holders are able to apply for dedicated work or study permits if you wish to work or study in Canada during your stay.

                  However, permit holders may only apply for a work or study permit if their TRP has a validity of more than six months.

                  A temporary resident permit (TRP) is a document that is only given to those who need to enter Canada temporarily despite being classed as inadmissible under normal circumstances.

                  Meanwhile, a temporary resident visa is the name of Canada’s short-term visitor visa that allows foreign nationals from certain countries to visit Canada for tourism, to visit family, or to conduct business.

                  Unfortunately, you will not normally be able to leave and re-enter Canada with a temporary resident permit, as the permit will cease to be valid once you leave Canada.

                  You will only be able to leave and re-enter Canada with your permit unless you have been given specific authorization from IRCC to do so.