Total Law
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Immigrating to the US from Italy

Italian citizens seeking to immigrate to the US must obtain a US visa that meets their travel purpose. You can choose from different US visa types to immigrate to the country, provided you meet the requirements.

Talk with one of our friendly immigration lawyers at Total Law for more information about, immigrant petition green card, how to file the visa petition or other services we offer. Call us today on +1 844 290 6312 or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Visa Guide: How to Move from Italy to the US

    Over the years, Italian citizens have immigrated to the US in search of greener pastures. The most notable reasons for the emigration of Italians to the US are due to poverty, natural disasters and overpopulation in the poorest provinces of Italy.

    Today, the population group in the US of Italian extraction continues to grow with more than 17 million Italian citizens living in the US.

    New York has the largest population of people who are of Italian descent.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Overview of the Visa Application Process from Italy to the US

    Choose the Visa Type

    Italian citizens must first choose the specific US visa that aligns with their travel plans to begin the visa application process. For example, you may choose a working visa US for Italian citizens that suits the type of job you’re employed to come and do in the country or obtain a Spouse visa to join your spouse in the US.

    After choosing the appropriate visa, you must then get the specific application form for such a visa on the US Department of State’s website and complete it with the required details. After applying, you are required to pay your visa processing fee, and the exact fee to pay depends on the travel purpose of such visa.

    You are required to attend the visa interview at the US embassy or consulate closest to you in Italy. A decision will be made regarding your application after the interview. The visa type you applied for may contribute to the time needed to process it.

    Italian citizens who want to enter the US and stay for up to 90 days are not required to obtain a US visa. The reason is that Italy is a participating country in the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) which allows the countries involved to enter the US for tourism, business, etc. for up to 90 days visa-free.

    To enter visa-free in the US you are required to have:

    Valid US ESTA

    Get a current Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) issued by the Department of Homeland Security. The ESTA is linked to your Italian passport and you can enter and leave the US multiple times because it is a multiple-entry authorisation. The US ESTA has a 2-year validity period and you are allowed to stay in the US for up to 90 days per entry into the country.

    With the ESTA, you will not be allowed to take up long-term studies or full-time employment in the US. Regardless of your age as an Italian citizen with an ESTA, you can engage in business, transit and tourism purposes, etc.

    Italian Passport

    As an Italian citizen, you are required to present your passport to prove your nationality. Your Italian passport needs to be valid for at least an additional 6 months beyond the date you entered the US.

    Different Types of Visas Available for Individuals from Italy

    There are several visa types Italian citizens can obtain to immigrate to the US. They include:

    • Employment-based visa
    • Fiancé(e) visa
    • Family-based visa

    Employment-based Immigrant Visas

    Italian citizens can apply for a US Employment-based visa to immigrate to the US with their spouses and children based on their job skills. Employment-based visas are capped and issued to about 140,000 applicants each fiscal year. Once the cap is reached, the remaining applications are carried over to the following year.

    Due to the cap imposed on this visa, the processing time is typically lengthy and could take years for a decision to be made on the visa. The Employment-based visas are of 5 categories, namely:

    • E1 visa designed for individuals with extraordinary ability and priority workers
    • E2 visa designed for people of exceptional ability and professionals who possess advanced degrees
    • E3 visa created for professional, skilled, and unskilled workers
    • E4 is designed for broadcasters, ministers of religion and other special immigrants
    • E5 created for immigrant investors

    You must first obtain a job offer or employment contract from a US employer before you can apply for an Employment-based immigrant visa. After that, the Department of Labour must then permit your prospective employer to hire you as a foreign worker.

    Required Documents for an Employment-based Visa

    Italian citizens applying for this visa are required to provide the following documents:

    • Visa application fee payment receipt
    • Two passport-sized photographs
    • Italian international passport valid for at least an additional 6 months beyond your entry date into the US
    • Form DS-260 that is duly completed and signed
    • Birth, marriage certificate and other civil status documents
    • Medical examination certificate
    • Proof of sufficient funds. Present your bank statement that shows you have enough money to meet your financial needs in the US. A US permanent resident can file Form I-864 on your behalf to prove that they can cover your expenses when you enter the country

    Fiancé(e) Visa

    The Fiancé(e) visa, otherwise known as the K1 non-immigrant visa, allows its holder to enter the US and get married to their fiancée or fiancé who is a US citizen within 90 days.

    To become a lawful permanent resident in the US, you must apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for status adjustment. Your eligible children (if any) can apply for K2 visas.

    Required Documents for Fiancé(e) Visa

    To apply for the Fiancé(e) visa, you must provide the following documents:

    • Two passport-sized photographs that conform with the USCIS photos guidelines
    • Form DS-160 (Non-immigrant visa application form) that has been completed. This form can be used to apply for K1 and K2 visas
    • A valid passport that must be current for at least 6 months beyond your expected stay period in the US
    • Birth certificate
    • Visa payment receipts
    • Proof of relationship with US citizen fiancé(e)
    • Form I-134, Affidavit of Support to serve as proof of financial support (may be required)
    • Divorce or death certificate, if you or your US-based fiancé(e) were previously married
    • Medical examination certificate
    • Police clearance certificate issued by Italy Police

    Family-based Visa

    The US Family-based visa is one of the immigrant visas that can permit Italian citizens to join a US citizen or lawful permanent resident in the US. This visa is of two categories, namely, the Immediate relatives and Family Preference cases.

    The Immediate relatives include unmarried children under 21 years old, spouses, or parents. Whereas Family Preference cases include siblings, married children of US citizens, etc.

    Required Documents for a Family-based Visa

    The Family-based visa is of two categories and because of this, the requirements Italian citizens must meet to obtain the visa vary. Some of the requirements you must meet to obtain the Family-based visa include:

    • Birth certificate (for parent’s, children’s, and sibling’s relationship)
    • Marriage certificate (for a US-based spouse)
    • Proof you have a familial relationship with the US-based sponsor
    • Evidence of no criminal record
    • Status verification including the address of the US-based family member

    Our legal experts are well-versed in US immigration law. Get in touch for help with visa applications. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Tips for a Smooth Transition

      Italian citizens need to consider the following tips to move to US from Italy smoothly:

      Seek Expert Guidance

      You need to consult one of our friendly immigration lawyers at Total Law as they know how to navigate Italian immigration to the US. They can offer you personalised advice, help you gather all the relevant documents and guide you through the complex procedures of US immigration.

      Understanding English Language

      If you are proficient in English, you can easily integrate into the English community. Besides that, the knowledge of English will assist you in different areas of your new life, such as the development of relationships and finding work in the US.

      Improving Education and Skills

      Acquiring educational qualifications and skills related to in-demand sectors in the US will help increase your chances of smooth immigration into the US. Qualifying for in-demand jobs will typically attract you to companies and help you grow professionally.

      Which Visa is Right for Me?

      Italian citizens must first note the following before applying for any US visa to immigrate to the US:

      Understand the Visa Type

      US visas are created to serve different purposes of travel and meet the individual situation of applicants. For this reason, you must choose the US visa type that best suits your aim of travel and ensure you meet its eligibility criteria.

      Visa Duration

      You must know how long you intend to stay in the US whether you want to move into the US temporarily or permanently. For a temporary stay, you can choose the Non-immigrant visa, whereas you can select the Immigrant visa to remain in the US permanently.

      Italian flag waving in front of historic building in Rome

      Special Considerations

      Italian citizens seeking to immigrate to the US who have a unique medical condition are required to include them in their visa applications. This is one of the reasons all applicants are required to take a medical examination and present a medical examination certificate as proof.

      Besides that, you must have no criminal history in Italy. If you have any bad records, you must provide additional documents to show that those issues have been resolved.

      It’s best to engage the services of one of our friendly immigration lawyers at Total Law to help you resolve special cases like these. Call us today on +1 844 290 6312 or message us online.

      How Can Total Law Help?

      Italian nationals seeking to immigrate to the US must choose one of the US visas that best suits their situation. Selecting a specific US visa type to immigrate to the US may be overwhelming for you if you’re applying for the first time. This is why it’s best to seek expert guidance from our immigration lawyers at Total Law.

      Our immigration lawyers will help you assess your situation and know the specific visa type that suits you. Besides that, our immigration lawyers are updated with the recent changes in the US immigration law and will guide you throughout your visa application stages.

      Our immigration lawyers can apply for the US visa on your behalf and even give you tips on the right steps to take to avoid a refusal. For more information about how to work in US from Italy, required documents or other services we offer, Total Law can help. Call us today on +1 844 290 6312 or message us online for a quick response.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                The processing time of US visas depends on the visa type you’re applying for. However, it typically takes about 6 to 33 months to process an application for permanent residence in the US. Note that the processing time may be delayed due to some factors, such as:

                • If you didn’t fill out the visa application correctly and provide all required documents
                • When your visa application was received
                • If you applied for an Immigrant or Non-immigrant visa
                • If your visa application needs more administrative processing, etc.

                Yes, if your sponsorship is approved, you will be allowed to bring your spouse and any unmarried children under 21 with you to the US. This is because the US authorities recognise that having relatives to support you during your immigration can help you adjust to the new life in the US.

                You can check the status of your immigration application by using the case status online tool. You will need to provide the receipt number from your petition or application. The receipt number is a unique 13-character identifier that is composed of 3 letters and 10 characters.