UK Unmarried Partner Visa For Canadians

If you are a foreign national living in Canada and you are in a serious relationship with a British citizen, you can move to the United Kingdom to be together through the unmarried partner visa route.

You can contact our expert immigration lawyers to discuss any concerns you may have, or for some help navigating the application process of the UK unmarried partner visa. Please call us on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online via our live chat.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What Is The UK Unmarried Partner Visa?

    The Unmarried Partner Visa permits serious couples of any sex to be together in the UK per immigration rules.

    A Canadian citizen or resident that wishes to move to the UK on an unmarried partner visa to be with their partner on an Unmarried Partner visa can only do that if they are in an existing relationship with a ‘present and settled’ person that holds British citizenship or another type of eligible status in the UK, such as indefinite leave to remain or settled status.

    This is one of the UK visas that allow relationship reunification without marriage or civil partnership. The other is the Fiance visa (or proposed civil partner visa), but you must be willing to marry within 6 months. If you are already married, you can apply for a Spouse visa.

    To qualify for this visa, you must meet the immigration status, relationship, English language, financial and adequate accommodation requirements.

    For more information or assistance with joining your partner permanently in the UK through this route, get in touch with our professional immigration lawyers by calling +1 844 290 6312 today.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Contact our expert immigration lawyers for assistance with applying for a UK Unmarried Partner visa. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What Are The Eligibility Criteria For The Unmarried Partner Visa? 

      Requirement for British partner

      To be eligible for the visa, the British (non Canadian) partner needs to prove that one of the following is true:

      • They have British citizenship or Irish citizenship
      • They have settled in the UK with either Indefinite Leave to Remain or proof of permanent residence or settled status
      • They have EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic or Liechtenstein nationality and were a resident of the UK before 1 January 2021
      • They hold refugee or humanitarian protection status

      Requirements for both partners

      The unmarried partners need to meet the following criteria for this UK visa:

      • Both people in the couple have to be aged over 18
      • Neither person may be related to each other through blood or marriage
      • Both partners must have met each other in person
      • Both partners have been living together for at least two years before applying, or demonstrate that they have been together for at least two years but have not been living together for a valid reason
      • Both partners must intend to live permanently in the UK after applying
      • There must be no other relationships ongoing at the same time
      • The relationship must be ‘genuine and subsisting’ and the relationship akin to marriage
      • Any previous relationships should be ended

      What Are The Financial Requirements For The Unmarried Partner Visa? 

      The sponsor, or the British citizen or person with the settled status of the Unmarried Partner Visa must be able to prove to the Home Office that they meet the financial requirement of a minimum income threshold of at least £29,000 from spring 2024, with planned increases to £34,500 and eventually £38,700 in 2025.

      From April 2024 onward, the minimum income requirement will no longer include a separate child element. This eliminates the need for additional funds per child.

      The Unmarried Partner visa UK financial requirements can be met through income from standard salary and non-salaried income, self-employed income, salary and/or dividends from a company of which you are a Director, property rental income, dividends and income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds, pension income, insurance payments, maintenance payments and cash savings that have been held for at least six months.

      If the UK sponsor doesn’t meet the above requirements, they can meet it by instead being in receipt of public funds like disability allowance, carer’s allowance, personal independence payment, and/or some Armed Forces or War Pensions schemes.

      To prove you and your partner’s financial situation in order to be eligible for the UK unmarried partner visa must be shown by the following proof:

      • Bank statements that have proof of income
      • 6 months of payslips
      • An Employer letter on headed paper with the following information:
        • Confirmation of employment
        • Job title(s)
        • Length of service
        • Type of contract
        • Earnings before tax and National Insurance

      Required Documents And Information For The Unmarried Partner Visa

      For the Unmarried Partner visa, there are a number of required documents and information required. The information is as follows:

      • The names of yourself, your partner, and any dependents
      • Dates of birth
      • Valid passport or travel document with blank visa pages
      • Entry stamps in older passports
      • Information about any previous immigration applications
      • Information about any criminal convictions (if applicable)
      • Nationality and dates of birth of your parents
      • Countries that you have visited and/or lived in
      • Details of family and friends in your home country
      • Evidence of your financial situation and cash savings
      • Your partner’s right to UK citizenship or settled status
      • Proof of a genuine and subsisting relationship such as indefinite leave
      • Suitable accommodation in the UK. To be suitable accommodation, the property should either be owned by or occupied by the family and not living there by public funds. There must also be adequate sleeping areas for everyone, and a description of the property’s rooms must be provided including who will be in each room.
      • If you have a dependent child, you will be asked to provide information on who has primary responsibility for the child

      All information needs to be provided in English or Welsh, and some of the documents require the original documents.

      Following all of the initial information applicants need to provide biometric information, fingerprints and facial photographs, for their biometric residence permit.

      Please note that Canadian applicants are exempt from the English language requirements and don’t need to do the English langue test for the unmarried partner visa application, as Canada is a majority English-speaking country.

      Proving A Genuine Relationship For The Unmarried Partner Visa

      The aforementioned documents are useful in proving it is a genuine relationship between the two unmarried partners.

      The UK immigration rules advise providing sufficient evidence to help your Unmarried Partner visa application. This could include photos, letters, messages, call logs, flight records, hotel receipts, or other relevant information to prove that you are a genuine couple. Statement letters talking about the relationship can help, too.

      The Unmarried Partner visa application will be strengthened if you and your partner have lived together. To demonstrate, you will need to provide documents like a lease or tenancy agreement, a joint utility bill, or another government-issued document.

      If you and your partner do not live together, such as for work, study or cultural reasons, you may have to provide additional documents to prove that your relationship is genuine. Specifically, you will need to demonstrate “ongoing commitment” to each other, such as through evidence that you communicate regularly with each other, support each other financially, share childcare responsibilities and/or do spend time together as a couple.

      What Is The Application Process For The UK Unmarried Partner Visa?

      If you are living in the UK already on valid immigration status, you can apply for this visa from within the UK. However, if you are on a visa such as a visitor visa, you must apply from Canada. When applying from Canada, there are a number of steps to follow which we have detailed below.

      Firstly, the application starts online. After filling out and submitting the online application form, you will be required to visit one of the visa application centres in Canada to give your biometrics.

      Following the appointment, you are required to post your appointment confirmation letter, your application form, passport, a prepaid return shipping label, and any supporting documents that you haven’t uploaded to the online portal to the UKVI. After which, the Home Office will process your application.

      After the application form is submitted for the UK unmarried partner visa, it can take anywhere from 10 – 12 weeks for the immigration process to get a response on the application.

      If you get the visa, you can travel to the UK. For entry clearance with the unmarried partner route, you should travel with your supporting documents and be ready to answer any questions asked by the immigration officer at the port of entry.

      Our immigration team has helped hundreds of cases with the UK unmarried partner visa. Let us help you too! Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Cost Of The UK unmarried Partner Visa

        The Home Office’s processing fee for applications made outside of the UK is £1,846. If applying from inside the UK, the fee is £1,048.

        Applicants of the UK unmarried partner visa have to pay the mandatory fee towards the Immigration Health Surcharge which costs £1,035 per year.

        Biometric information will cost £19.20.

        Extending Your Unmarried Partner Visa

        After you successfully apply for an Unmarried Partner visa, you will normally be granted a period of leave of 2 years and 9 months initially. However, you may be able to extend your visa to allow you to stay for a further 2 years and 6 months beyond this.

        To be eligible, you must still meet all of the same eligibility criteria you had to meet when you first applied for your visa.

        You can apply to extend your visa anytime during your visa’s validity, though note that you’ll only get a maximum of 28 days from your current visa’s duration added on to your new extension’s permission.

        It is imperative that you apply to extend your visa before your visa’s current validity expires.

        How Can Total Law Help?

        Applying for this visa on your own can be quite challenging. At Total Law, we pride ourselves on helping individuals reunite with their partners and family members.

        Our lawyers’ legal knowledge covers the UK and Canadian immigration and we can help you. We can prepare a top-quality application that maximizes your chances of success and will liaise with the Home Office on your behalf. Please call us today on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online via our live chat.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  If you have been issued an Unmarried Partner Visa, you will get to leave Canada for the UK to be with your partner in the UK for 33 months if you have applied from Canada.  Following this initial 33-month period, you can apply for a five-year extension under the Unmarried Partner Visa.

                  If you meet all of the right requirements, which is having lived in the UK for a minimum of five years, passing the Life in the UK Test, a lack of any criminal convictions, and not having spent more than 180 days outside the UK in the year of the qualifying period, then it is possible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

                  Yes, they are able to work in the UK. They are able to study, too.

                  Dependents are permitted to join unmarried partners moving to the UK, so long they are under 18,  and dependent on you. A different application will have to be made for any additional dependent.