What is the Business Visitor Visa?
The Business Visitor Visa is a valid travel document that allows a foreign national to travel from their home country to the United Kingdom to work on valid international business opportunities and further business relationships that they are unable to conduct without going outside of Canada.
You will need to show your valid visa to the border services officer in order to enter the country. Business visitors can conduct a variety of international business activities under the terms of this visa. It is ideal for those who need to come to the UK for a few weeks to a few months in order to conduct specific business activities.
If you would like further advice or assistance with applying for a Business Visitor Visa, contact Total Law for assistance with your application. Please call +1 844 290 6312 or use the online contact form to get in touch.
Eligibility for the UK Business visitor visa
In order to be eligible for this visa, you must prove that you intend on travelling to the UK for a period of six months or less to participate in the specific range of business activities that this visa allows and that you will return to your permanent residence of Canada or another country following the valid term of your visa.
You must provide a variety of documents to support your application and supply financial evidence that shows you have enough money to support yourself while outside Canada.
In general, the business activities allowed on this short-term visa will be unpaid and not for profit or sales purposes. If you plan to travel for paid work purposes, you may require a Temporary Worker Visa or other type of work permit visa.
Negotiating Business Deals and Signing Contracts
If you are a Canadian business visitor who will be travelling to the UK to meet with customers or business people in order to negotiate the terms of a business deal or to sign a professional contract or sales agreement for a Canadian company or other foreign company, you may be eligible for the Business Visitor Visa provided you can prove you meet the other requirements.
Attending Conferences, Expos, or Trade Fairs
As a Canadian business visitor, you are able to use this visa to attend trade shows, expos, and other types of business functions as long as you are attending for the purpose of research, training, networking, or promotional purposes and not for paid or unpaid work or to make a profit, you will be eligible for the Business Visitor Visa provided you can prove you meet the other requirements.
Visiting UK Customers
You will be permitted to perform site visits to learn about UK customers’ requirements or needs if you are able to prove the necessity of this activity to your business.
Attending Meetings and Interviews
Attending business meetings, conferences, and interviews with other business people are permitted as a Canadian Business visitor under this visa.
Attending Business Related Training or Seminars
Attending business training activities or seminars is permitted under the Business Visitor Visa so long as you are not directly making a profit through the activity.
Conducting Business-Related Research
You may visit the UK on a Business Visitor Visa in order to conduct market research on services, a particular product or audience, carry out technological research, or conduct worksite visits for due diligence.
Performing Business Talks or Speeches
As long as the organizer of the event where you will be giving your talk or speech is not making a profit, you will be eligible to perform. Under the Business Visitor Visa, you are not allowed to partake in paid work.
Required Documents for the UK Business visitor visa
The documents required will vary depending on the basis of your visa. Generally, you will need to submit:
- Two extra standard or passport size full-colour photographs
- Your current and valid passport with at least one blank page for the Business Visitor Visa. Your current passport must be valid for at least three months after your travel dates in the UK.
- Sufficient evidence of your financial assets and source of income. You will need to provide documents as proof that show you have enough money to support yourself adequately for the duration of your time in the UK. You will typically need to provide the last six months of statements from your bank or payslips from your place of business
- Details of your accommodations in the UK including residence details, cost, and location.
- A detailed itinerary showing the business activities you will partake in while in the UK. Your itinerary should show the details including dates and locations of business events that you will be attending while in the UK as well as the dates of your travel to and from the country.
- Your prior passports and documents show your travel history over the past 10 years prior to your application. This can include previous immigration documents, previous visa applications or other valid travel documents.
- Strong evidence showing sufficient ties to Canada and proof that you plan to return to Canada or another country following the valid term of your visa.
- Your employment information includes the contact details of your employer in Canada.
- The receipt of the application fee
- Criminal records or documents pertaining to criminal record, if applicable
- Any relevant academic and professional certificates, former business visitor visas, or relevant business documents such as a free trade agreement
- Certified translations of any documents that were not originally in English
- A letter from your Canadian employer confirming that you are travelling to the UK in order to partake in specific international business activities that are short-term (less than six months) and unpaid/ not for profit. The letter should confirm your dates of travel and the purpose of your trip.
- A letter from the hosting institution or organization in the UK confirming that the reason for your travel is professional in nature. This can be an invitation to a conference or expo, or a confirmation of a business event that you are speaking at.
- You may need to provide evidence that you are in good health and are not a health risk
How To Apply
You must apply for this visa within three months of when you plan to leave Canada to travel to the UK, you cannot apply earlier than three months. You can apply as late as 48 hours before you plan to travel but keep in mind that it typically takes several weeks for your application to be processed.
To apply for this visa, first, check that you meet the eligibility requirements necessary for the Business Visitor Visa and that you do not require a separate type of work visas such as the Skilled Worker or Entrepreneur Visa.
Then, gather the documentation required. This is a crucial step as the most common reason for a Business Visitor Visa to be rejected is not providing sufficient documentation to support the basis of your visa.
You will be able to fill out the online application at the UK government website at gov.uk. The application will ask you for various personal details regarding your life and your employment as well as the nature of your travel. You will need to refer to your documents in order to complete this information. Once you have submitted your application, you will need to schedule an appointment at a visa application centre and attend an interview.
You should receive a decision on your visa within approximately three weeks from when you submit your application. You may be able to pay an additional fee at the visa application centre to have the process expedited and receive a faster decision.
You will only be required to have your biometric information was taken (fingerprints and a photograph) if you are staying in the UK for longer than six months. You would need to make an appointment and pay an additional fee at a visa application centre.
Then you would need to obtain your Biometric Residence Permit within 10 days of arriving in the UK. Typically a Business Visitor Visa will be for a time period of fewer than 6 months so you should not need to have your biometric identification taken for this visa in most cases.
Costs and Fees
The Business Visitor Visa shares the same fee as all Standard Visitor Visas. The application fee will be a cost approximately £95 per applicant.
You may incur additional fees from third-party services you may use to obtain documentation, such as translators, accountants, or if you choose to pay for expedited service.
For more information or assistance with acquiring the UK Business Visitor visa from Canada, please call +1 844 290 6312 or contact us online.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
In the event that your business activities will take longer than the 6-month timeframe given, you may need to apply for a Long Term Visitor Visa. These have different requirements and costs than the Standard Visitor Visa but will allow you to stay in the UK for a period of 2-10 years depending on your situation. If you are unsure of which visa is best for your situation, contact Total Law for assistance with your application. Speak to one of our expert immigration advisers today. Call +1 844 290 6312 or use the online contact form to get in touch.
Because this visa is a type of Standard Visitor Visa, your family members would have to apply separately for their own Visitor Visas in order to join you. They would have to also meet all eligibility requirements including financial requirements in order to be approved.
No, you do not need a lawyer in order to apply for the UK Business Visitor Visa. However, Standard Visitor Visas, including Business Visitor Visas, are frequently denied due to the specificity of the documentation required to prove the basis for your visa to the UK Visas and Immigration Office. Consulting with a qualified legal team such as at Total Law can ensure you have the best chances of your application being approved. We can guide you through the application process and assist you with putting together the best application package for your situation.