UK Student Visa For Canadians

A Student Visa is a type of visa that grants Canadian citizens, as international students, the ability to live and study abroad in the United Kingdom.

If you have any questions regarding this Canadian Student Visa or other options for Canadian students, you can contact our expert immigration lawyers to discuss any concerns you may have, or for some help navigating the application process. You can call us on +1 844 290 6312 , or contact us via our live chat.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What are the eligibility requirements for a UK Student Visa?

    Canadian students must be 16 years or older and hold an acceptance letter from a United Kingdom-based college or university degree programme that has been approved by the UK government as a licenced sponsor.

    With your offer letter, the educational institution to which you have been accepted should provide you with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) letter. You must apply for the study visa within 6 months of receiving your CAS.

    In addition, student applicants must also:

    • Demonstrate that they have sufficient personal finances to support themselves and their studies
    • Speak, read, write and understand English (this is not applicable if you are a Canadian national)
    • Have consent for studying in the UK from the applicant’s parents/guardian or carer if the applicant is younger than 18 years old
    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What can you do on a UK Student Visa?

    Canadian students who are studying abroad in the UK are able to do the following:

    • Attend a full-time course leading to a qualification that is below degree level (for example RFQ level 3-5) with a minimum of 15 per week of daytime study
    • Attend a full-time course leading to a qualification that is degree level or higher (for example RFQ level 6, 7 or 8)
    • Attend a full-time course at degree level or above (for example RFQ level 6,7 or 8) that’s equivalent to a United Kingdom higher education course and is being delivered as part of a longer course overseas
    • Attend a part-time course leading to a qualification that’s above degree level (RFQ level 7 or above)
    • Attend a recognized foundation programme for postgraduate doctors or dentists
    • Attend an English language course at level B2 or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
    • Taking up a full-time position as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer

    What are the requirements for postgraduate doctors and dentists?

    The UK Student visa also allows for postgraduate doctors and dentists from Canada to come to the UK for the purposes of attending a recognition foundation program. In order to apply for a UK Student visa, doctors and dentists must meet the following requirements:

    • The doctor or dentist has already completed a recognized UK degree in medicine or dentistry and received that degree from a registered student sponsor – considered “world-class graduate education.”
    • The doctor or dentist has spent the final year and at least 1 other year of studies leading to that degree in the United Kingdom

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your case today. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What is not permitted on a UK Student visa?

      Canadians who are in the UK on a student visa are not allowed to do the following:

      • Claim public funds (benefits) and pensions
      • Work in certain jobs, for example as a professional sportsperson or sports coach or be self-employed
      • Study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)

      What is the UK visa application process?

      To start the application, Canadians will need an acceptance letter from the educational institution they wish to attend before applying.

      You may start the process 6 months before starting your chosen course of study.

      If successful, you may enter into the United Kingdom up to 1 week before (if the course is 6 months or less) or up to 1 month before (if your course lasts more than 6 months). You must not travel before the start of the visa, regardless of the length of the programme or when the university degree programme starts.

      What are the required documents for a Student Visa?

      Canadian citizens applying for a Student visa in the UK may need to provide the following required documents with their application form:

      • A current passport or other valid travel documentation with at least one blank page
      • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your course provider
      • Proof you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course (not applicable for Canadians)
      • A valid ATAS certificate if your course and nationality require it
      • Proof of parental/guardian/carer consent if you’re under 18 and proof of your relationship (such as a birth certificate with their names) to your parent or guardian if you’re under 18. They must provide consent for your application, your living in the United Kingdom, and your travel.
      • Tuberculosis test results (if applicable)
      • Written consent for your application from your financial sponsor if you’ve received sponsorship for your course fees and living costs in the last 12 months

      Identification verification is an important step in the application. As a Canadian, you can do this using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document online and create and sign in to your personal UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account. Typically, this is a faster option than others and you can even get your visa within 5 days. Otherwise, it will take around 3 weeks to get your decision.

      Normally, the process does not involve an interview unless your case is considered complex.

      Should your application be approved, you will receive a shareable code as proof of your new status through the ‘UK Immigration: ID check.’

      What are the fees?

      The fees associated with getting this visa are £490 when applying from either outside or inside the UK.

      You must also pay for the United Kingdom immigration health surcharge, which is £776 per year for students and needs to be paid each year of your visa. You will also need sufficient finances to pay for travel, accommodation, and your course(s).

      Students sitting in lecture theatre

      Need help with the uk student visa? Speak to our immigration team today. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Can my dependents join me in the UK?

        It is possible to bring your dependents with you to the United Kingdom if you are going to be doing the following:

        • Be a full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RFQ level 7 or above) that lasts 9 months or longer
        • Be a new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months
        • Be a Doctorate Extension Scheme student

        In this instance, a dependent is defined as a legal spouse, civil partner, or common-law partner, and children under the age of 18. You will need to prove your relationship with the dependents by marriage/civil partnership paperwork and birth certificates for children.

        All dependent visas will be valid for as long as the main student’s visa is valid.

        Student looking at notebook

        How to extend your international Student Visa

        You can apply to extend before your current international Student Visa expires up to 3 months early.

        To do this, you must:

        • Be in the United Kingdom on a UK Student visa
        • Have an unconditional offer to a course that is a licensed student sponsor by the UK government

        Prove that your studies are at a higher academic level than your current course (called the ‘academic progress requirement’) Your new course must be one of the following:

        • A higher academic level than your current course
        • At the same level and related to your previous course or career aspirations
        • Related or a continuation to medicine, dentistry, or medical science course you started studying under your Student visa

        There is the possibility of switching to a Graduate visa to stay in the United Kingdom for at least 2 years after completing your course.

        If you brought your dependents over to the United Kingdom alongside you, they will need to apply separately to extend their visa. They can either apply at the same time as you or at any time before their current visa expires.

        The fees to extend the visa are £475 (approximately CAD$811.97) per person, including each dependent. It typically takes 8 weeks to be informed if you have been successful or not.

        How can Total Law help?

        Being able to travel abroad for your studies is a valuable experience that many Canadians may dream of.

        If you’re looking to apply for a Student visa to travel to, and study in, the UK, Total Law can help.

        We offer complete and comprehensive legal services for Canadians looking to come to the UK for study, work, residency or any other reason. Our expert legal advisers can help you overcome any immigration issues you have and ensure that your pathway to your destination country is as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        For more information, call us on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online seven days a week via our live chat.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  Many Canadian applicants are exempt from proving that their finances are sufficient when applying for a student visa. However, there are many costs associated with this application, so it is important to consult with an immigration lawyer.

                  You can work on a student visa if you have a Student visa.

                  However, how long you can work may depend on what you’re studying and whether you’re working in or out of term-time. Consult an expert before taking up employment to avoid any potential infringements of your visa.

                  The earliest you can begin a student visa application is three months before the start date of your course, as stated in your CAS.

                  If you submit your visa application earlier than this time, it will be refused. If you leave your application too late, you could miss your start date.