UK Temporary Worker Visa

If you are interested in living and working temporarily in the UK, you may be eligible for one of the Temporary Worker visas available for Egyptian nationals.

Call Total Law on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online, for further details on how we can support you with your visa application and give you the best chance for a successful application.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of the UK Temporary Worker Visa

    The UK Home Office offers visas for people with job offers looking to work temporarily in the UK, which allow workers to stay in the UK under specific work conditions for a limited amount of time.

    These visas can be used to carry out many temporary activities in the UK in certain industries, such as agriculture or the creative industry. Each visa will allow you to come to the UK for different periods of time, from six months to two years, and has different permissions during your stay.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Types of Temporary Worker Visas

    There are several types of temporary worker visas depending on what you are planning to do in the UK:

    • International Agreement visa
    • Government Authorised Exchange visa
    • Creative Worker visa
    • Seasonal Worker visa
    • Charity Worker visa
    • Religious Worker visa

    Please note that these visas were previously known as T5 Temporary Worker visas.

    You will need a job offer to be eligible for all these visas. You will need a certificate of sponsorship from your employer or licensed sponsor, and the work, training or research you are doing must relate to the work the sponsor organisation does. In the case of the Government Authorised Exchange visa, the sponsor can be an organisation, a government department or agency, or a high education institution.

    Please note that if a UK company is contracting you, you may be able to apply for a Service Supplier visa instead.

    All these visas, excluding the Seasonal Worker visa, will also allow you to:

    • Study at the same time as you carry out the job on your certificate of sponsorship
    • Work in a second job in the same sector as your main job, as long as you do not work more than 20 hours per week in your second job
    • Do a job on the UK skilled worker occupation list
    • Include any immediate family as dependents on your application, provided they are eligible. This includes partners, children under 18 years old, and children over 18 years old who are already included on your visa as dependents

    None of these Temporary Worker visas will allow you to:

    • Start a permanent job in the UK
    • Have access to public funds in the UK, for example, state benefits
    • Apply for indefinite leave to remain and settle permanently in the UK

    International Agreement Visa

    This visa option is for people contracted for work covered by international law or treaty while in the UK. This includes working for an overseas government or recognised international organisation and as a private servant in a diplomatic household.

    The work you are doing in the UK will dictate how long you have permission to stay. Overseas government or international organisation workers can stay for the amount of time given on your certificate (plus 14 days) or two years, whichever is shorter. A private servant in a diplomatic household can stay for a maximum of five years and can apply for up to two years at a time.

    Our experienced immigration team can increase the chances of a succesfully application. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Government Authorised Exchange Visa

      A Government Authorised Exchange visa is for people who want to visit the UK for a government-authorised exchange scheme to do work experience, training, a Overseas Government Language Programme, research, or a fellowship.

      This visa has different time limitations and depends on the duration of your work in the UK; you will be granted a visa for up to 12 or 24 months. On this visa, you are also allowed to stay for a maximum of two weeks after your job finishes, as long as your visa has not expired.

      Creative Worker Visa

      This Temporary Worker visa is for people working in the creative industry intending to contribute to the UK in a creative role, for example, as an actor, dancer, musician, entertainer, or photographer.

      In addition to the typical eligibility requirements of a Temporary Worker visa, you must also make a contribution to the UK labour market because you may be famous or are required for continuity, as an example.

      You will be allowed to stay in the UK for up to one year and will not be able to extend this visa or switch it to another visa.

      Seasonal Worker Visa

      Seasonal work within the horticulture sector is vital for UK industry and economy, and the Seasonal Worker visa allows workers who have a job offer in horticulture to stay in the UK for six months in order to support this essential seasonal work.

      This visa specifically only covers season-sensitive work such as fruit and vegetable picking and harvesting but does not include all agricultural work, such as working with poultry, pork butchery, or transporting food in a heavy-goods vehicle.

      This visa is the most restrictive of all the Temporary Worker visas. While you will have permission to study while living in the UK, you will not be allowed to take on a permanent job, have a second job separate to what is listed on your certificate of sponsorship, receive any public or state benefits, nor bring any dependents with you.

      Charity Worker Visa

      The Charity Worker visa is available for people who want to travel to the UK for one year to volunteer for a charity, though people who have had a Religious Worker visa or Charity Worker visa in the last year will not be eligible.

      While working as a volunteer, you will not be allowed to receive any payment for the work that you do.

      To find out more about the UK temporary work visa application process, contact us today. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Religious Worker Visa

        Under the Religious Worker visa, people are able to come to the UK for up to two years in order to do paid work. This includes religious activities like preaching, pastoral or non-pastoral work, or working in a religious order (such as a monastery or convent).

        Eligibility Criteria for Temporary Workers

        To apply for a Temporary Worker visa, you will need to provide a certificate of sponsorship and also prove you have enough money to support yourself (and any dependents) while in the UK; this amount is usually £1,270 held in your bank account for at least 28 consecutive days (except in cases where your employer is supporting you).

        It is essential your employer pays you at least the UK minimum wage and follows UK regulations regarding working hours and conditions.

        Your employer will provide your certificate of sponsorship, which will include details about your job and working hours. The certificate is a unique reference number that you will provide in your visa application, which is valid for three months from the date you receive it.


        You can include dependents on your Temporary Worker visa, but not if you are applying for the Seasonal Worker visa. Dependents are considered your partner, children under 18 years old, and children over 18 years old if they’re currently in the UK as a dependent; documents to prove their relationship to you will have to be submitted as part of your application, for example, a marriage or birth certificate.

        If you’re married or in a civil partnership, it must be recognised in the UK; otherwise, you will have to prove that you’ve been living together in a genuine relationship for at least two years when you apply. Your children must live with you too unless they’re away studying full-time at a boarding school, college or university, and they must not be married themselves.

        The Home Office only accepts certain official documentation to prove that you all live at the same address; examples of accepted documents include a bank statement, credit card bill, driving licence, NHS registration document, or an official letter from a university or college.

        Dependents also incur additional costs. You will have to pay a fee to cover their visa application, healthcare surcharge, and prove they will be financially supported while they are staying in the UK. On top of the amount you have to provide for yourself, for each dependent you will need to have an additional:

        • £285 for a partner
        • £315 for a child
        • £200 for each additional child

        The same rules apply in terms of holding the amount in a bank account; you, your wife or child must have had the money in their bank account for at least 28 consecutive days within the 31 days before their application.

        Dependents will have to apply online separately as your partner or child; they will have to include your visa application number so that the UK Home Office can link their visa applications to yours.

        Documents Required for a Temporary Worker Visa

        When applying for your visa, you will have to submit:

        • A valid passport with a blank page for a visa
        • Your certificate of sponsorship reference number
        • Bank statements to show you have enough money to support yourself in the UK (unless financially supported by your sponsor)
        • Proof of relationship to any dependents included on your application, for example, a marriage certificate for your partner or a birth certificate for your children
        • A valid ATAS certificate for if you are doing research involving sensitive subjects at PhD level

        Any documents that are not in English will need to be translated by a certified translator and follow the Home Office guidelines for translated documents.

        Please note that you will not need to provide a tuberculosis (TB) certificate as Egypt is not included on the list of countries required to provide one. However, if you have been living in a country that is included on the government TB list for more than six months in the six months before you submit your visa application, you will have to take a TB test and submit the certificate.

        Simplify the application process with the help of our immigration team. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          How to Apply for a Temporary Worker Visa

          Applications for these visas are made online through the UK government website, You will complete your personal details, submit your supporting documents, and then have to arrange an appointment at a visa application centre in Egypt. There are two application centres in Egypt, in Alexandria and Cairo.

          At the interview, you will have your fingerprints and photograph taken for a biometric permit. They may also need to keep your passport and supporting documents while your visa is processed, in which case, you may have to travel back to the centre to collect your documents once you have received a decision.

          Processing Time and Fees

          You can apply for these visas up to three months before you start work in the UK, as listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

          After applying online and confirming your identity, you can expect to receive a decision within three weeks if you’re outside the UK and eight weeks if you are already in the UK.

          The application fee for each person is £298 and is the same regardless of where you are applying. You will also need to pay for the healthcare surcharge if you are in the UK for over six months, which will cover any potential National Health Service (NSH) related costs for you and your dependents.

          The surcharge is paid at the point of application and costs £624 per year for adults over 18 years old and £470 for applicants under 18 years old.

          How Can Total Law Help?

          If you are looking to undertake temporary work in the UK, you may feel overwhelmed by the choice of Temporary Worker visas available and all the different documents each visa requires as part of the application.

          It is essential that you apply for the correct visa and that your visa application is completed correctly to avoid having your visa rejected and your application fee lost. Total Law is a team of compassionate lawyers specialising in immigration law that will be able to advise you on the correct Temporary Worker visa for you and ensure all the correct documents are submitted to maximise your chances of a successful decision.

          Call Total Law today on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online, to hear how our services can support your visa application process.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    Sometimes, yes. Whether you are allowed to leave and re-enter the UK will depend on what is allowed on your certificate of sponsorship and what visa you have.

                    For example, the International Agreement visa allows you to leave and return to the UK, but you will only be allowed to if you have permission on your certificate of sponsorship if you are on a Seasonal Worker visa.

                    No, you cannot work towards indefinite leave to remain with a Temporary Worker visa and will have to choose a different Work visa if you want to settle permanently in the UK.

                    No, as an Egyptian national, you must have a job offer to be eligible for any of these work visas.