Health and Care Worker Visa For Egyptians

Egyptian medical professionals who want to work in the UK will need to consider their eligibility for the Health and Care Worker Visa. Businesses should also be mindful of this visa and its process to ensure they aid their prospective migrant employees appropriately.

This visa application process can be complex; therefore, it is worthwhile speaking to an immigration lawyer to help ensure that the worker is eligible and the application process goes smoothly. Speak to a member of our Total Law team today at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or message us online, to get help with your application.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    An Overview Of The UK Health And Care Worker Visa

    The UK Health and Care Worker Visa is a fairly new category that came into being to allow overseas medical professionals to enter the UK to work for the NHS, an adult social care sector, or a supplier of the NHS.

    The category was introduced to make it quicker, easier, and cheaper for these migrant healthcare professionals to come to the UK to work.

    In many ways, this visa is similar to the Skilled Worker Visa, as both enable the applicant to work and live in the UK, yet there are some notable differences.

    The Health and Care Worker Visa is only available to specific medical professionals and those who are in eligible health and care fields. These individuals will pay reduced visa fees and will not be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge fees.

    This visa has a 5-year validity period, meaning that Egyptian workers in the UK on this visa can apply to extend the visa after this point to continue working in the UK.

    This is provided that they still meet the eligibility criteria. It is also possible to apply for ILR (indefinite leave to remain) in the UK on this visa after the 5-year validity period.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Health And Care Worker Visa Eligibility & Requirements For Employers & Employees


    The Health and Care Worker Visa is a visa route only open to Egyptian individuals who are qualified as nurses, doctors, or allied health professionals and will be working in the UK in an eligible role in the health and care sector.

    Applicants must meet the job requirements for this visa, but they must also meet other eligibility criteria to qualify.

    This means that an applicant may be granted a Health and Care Worker visa if they meet the eligibility criteria as follows:

    • The applicant is a qualified doctor, nurse, healthcare professional, or professional in adult social care.
    • The applicant will be working in a role that is considered to be an eligible occupation in the health and care sector.
    • The applicant has received a job offer from a UK employer that is approved by the UK Home Office.
    • The applicant has a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from the UK employer, which provides all the necessary detailed information about the role they have been offered.
    • The applicant meets the salary requirements for the role. The requirements will vary depending on the type of work and the specific role of the employee.
    • The applicant can write, read, understand, and speak English to a level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale. Those who are from majority-speaking English countries will not need to meet this requirement, but Egyptians will. However, Egyptians who have an eligible degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English will not need to meet this requirement.

    The Salary Requirement

    Typically, applicants will need to be paid a minimum of £26,200 per year or £10.75 per hour, whichever is higher. However, if the ‘going rate’ for the job is higher than both of these, the employee needs to be paid the going rate as the minimum.

    This means that if the applicant is paid £28,000 but the typical going rate for the job is £31,200 per year, they will not be considered to meet the typical salary requirements required for this visa. Every occupation will have a specific going rate.

    That being said, it is possible that an applicant can be paid less. Those who have a salary less than £26,200 or their jobs usually ‘going rate’ may be considered eligible if they are still paid at least £10.75 per hour.

    Applicants can also be paid between 70% and 90% of the typical going rate for the job if their salary is at least £20,960 per year and they meet at least one of the criteria below:

    • The applicant’s job is on the shortage occupation list.
    • The applicant is under 26 years of age, is studying, is a recent graduate, or is in professional training.
    • The applicant has a postdoctoral position in a scientific role.
    • The applicant has a STEM (science, technology, engineering, or maths) PhD-level qualification that is relevant to their job. However, if an applicant has a relevant PhD-level qualification in any other subject, the salary must be at least £23,580.

    Those who have a shortage of occupations will be able to be paid less. Shortage occupation roles are skilled jobs where the UK has a shortage of workers. If the employee’s role is on the shortage occupation list, they can be paid 80% of the job’s typical going rate.

    If you are an employer wanting to bring Egyptian medical staff to the UK, our immigration team can help. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      The Certificate Of Sponsorship Requirement

      To obtain this visa, the applicant must hold a valid CoS (Certificate of Sponsorship) from a government-approved employer in the UK. This is not a physical document but an electronic record required for specific work visas.

      The requirements for CoS differ for Health and Care Workers from other Skilled Worker Visas. Those who apply via a Health and Care Worker Visa will need their employer to meet requirements, such as ensuring there is a brief statement in the CoS that gives details regarding how the applicant meets the requirements for this visa.

      If the employer of the worker is an organisation that provides medical services for the NHS, then proof of their contract with the NHS is required.

      English Language Requirement

      Egyptian applicants for the Health and Care Worker Visa will need to prove that they can speak, read, write, and understand English to a CEFR B1 level. This can be proven in the following ways:

      • Passing a SELT (Secure English Language Test) from a provider who is UK government-approved.
      • Having a GCSE, A-level, Scottish National Qualification (level 4 or 5), Scottish Higher, or Advanced Higher in English qualification that was gained through studies at a UK school that the applicant began under the age of 18.
      • Having a degree-level academic qualification from a course taught in English. Those who study abroad will need to apply through ECCTIS (formerly UK NARIC) to confirm that the qualification is equivalent to a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or PhD in the UK.

      Those who are doctors, nurses, midwives, or dentists will not need to prove their knowledge of English if they have already passed an English language assessment that is accepted by the relevant regulated professional body.

      Health And Care Worker Visa Required Documents

      The applicant will need to provide specific documents necessary for the application when they apply. These include the following:

      • The Certificate of Sponsorship reference number will be provided by the employer.
      • Proof showing the applicant’s knowledge of English.
      • A valid passport or other document that shows the applicant’s nationality and identity.
      • The job title and annual salary of the applicant’s proposed position.
      • The occupation code of the job in the UK.
      • The name of the UK employer and their sponsor licence number should be available on the Certificate of Sponsorship.

      If the documents provided are not in English or Welsh, a certified translation of these documents will be required for the application to be valid.

      Other documents may be required, depending on the specific circumstances of the applicant. In some cases, the applicant may be asked to provide the following:

      • Evidence that the applicant has enough personal savings to be able to support themselves during their time in the UK. This could be shown via bank statements. This is typically the case unless the Certificate of Sponsorship shows that the employer can support the applicant.
      • Proof of the applicant’s relationship with their partner and children if they are applying together.
      • The applicant’s tuberculosis test results if they are from a listed country (Egypt is not a listed country; however, if you are Egyptian but currently have residency in another country that is listed, a TB test is required).
      • A criminal record certificate may be required.
      • A UK PhD certificate, or the applicant’s unique ECCTIS reference number if their qualification is from outside of the UK—the applicant is required to apply via ECCTIS in this case.

      Additionally, the applicant will need to provide a blank page in their passport if they are from Egypt. This blank page is required for the visa.

      We can tailor our service to your specific situation, when applying for the health and care worker visa. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Health And Care Worker Visa Application Fees

        When applying for a Health and Care Worker Visa, the applicant will need to ensure they have enough money to do so. This includes:

        • The fee to pay the application fee.
        • The fees needed to support themselves upon arrival in the UK. This typically requires at least £1,270 available in their bank and is necessary unless they are exempt.

        Applicants will generally be told how much they need to pay upon application.

        The typical application fee for this visa in the UK depends on the amount of time the applicant will be in the UK.

        • Those in the UK for up to 3 years will generally pay £284 per person.
        • Those in the UK for over 3 years will generally pay £551 per person.

        These fees do not change if you are applying from within or from outside the UK.

        Those who need finances to support themselves in the UK will need to have a minimum of £1,270 in their bank account to show that they can support themselves. This money needs to have been available for a minimum of 28 consecutive days. Day 28 must be within 31 days of the visa application.

        Generally, applicants will need to show proof that this is the case upon application unless one of the following applies:

        • The applicant has been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months.
        • The employer can cover the costs for the employee during their first month in the UK.

        Individuals applying with their partner and children will also need to show proof they can support themselves in the UK.

        Health And Care Worker Visa Application Process

        Those applying for the Health and Care Worker visa will need to do so using the online application form available on the UK government website.

        This is applied for using the Skilled Worker Visa route. When the applicant starts the application, they will be asked if they are applying for a Health and Care Worker Visa. The applicant must make sure that they select ‘yes’ when prompted with this question.

        As a part of the application process, the applicant will need to prove their identity. How this is done depends on where the applicant is from and the specific type of passport they have.

        It is possible for an applicant to have to do one of the following options to prove their identity:

        • The applicant may need to have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre to obtain a biometric residence permit. There are 2 visa application centres in Egypt:
          • Alexandria
          • Cairo
        • The applicant may be able to use the UK Immigration: ID Check app to scan their ID document. They will also be able to create or sign into a UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) account this way.

        Upon application, the individual will be informed of what they need to do.

        Should the applicant need an appointment at a Visa Application Centre, they should be aware of the following:

        • The Visa Application Centre may need to keep their passport and documents while their application is being processed.
        • The applicant may need to travel to get to their nearest visa application centre (Alexandria and Cairo are the Visa Application Centres available in Egypt).

        The applicant must ensure they submit their application form and supporting documents, prove their identity, and pay the relevant application fee to complete their application.

        It is possible to apply for the Health and Care Worker Visa for up to 3 months before the date the applicant intends to start work in the UK. It typically only takes 3 weeks for the visa to be processed, but allow for delays and do not submit at the last minute.

        Our specialist lawyers have the expertise to align your visa application with the best possible chance of success. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Woman in white lab-coat looking at an x-ray

          Application Processing Time

          Once an applicant has applied for the Health and Care Worker Visa, proven their identity, and provided their supporting documentation, they should expect a decision on their application within 3 weeks.

          However, it is possible for an application to take longer to process. This typically happens due to factors such as:

          • The applicant’s supporting documents require verification
          • The applicant will need to attend an interview
          • The personal circumstances of the applicant, such as criminal convictions

          Extending/ Renewing The Health And Care Worker Visa

          It is possible to extend the Health and Care Worker Visa if the applicant meets the following criteria to do so:

          • The applicant has the same job as when they were previously permitted to enter or stay in the UK.
          • The applicant’s job is in the same occupation code as when they were previously permitted to enter or stay in the UK.
          • The applicant is still working for the same employer who has their Certificate of Sponsorship.
          • The applicant meets the necessary salary requirements.

          It is worthwhile to be aware that those who have partners or children applying with them should not expect their partner’s or child’s visa to automatically extend when the primary applicant extends their visa.

          If the dependents of the applicant do not extend their visa, it will only be valid until its original end date. Dependents can apply to extend their visa at the same time as the primary applicant or before their current visa expires.

          Bringing Dependents

          Recent changes meant that you can no longer bring dependants on the Health and Care Visa.

          How Can Total Law Help?

          Egyptians who wish to apply for a Health and Care Worker Visa in the UK will need to meet many requirements: have a job offer, be paid at least the going rate for the role, and have a Certificate of Sponsorship from their employer. All of these factors are critical.

          This is why those eligible for the Health and Care Worker Visa must seek immigration assistance from one of our legal teams at Total Law.

          Our team can help you with your Certificate of Sponsorship, dealing with the Home Office, leave to remain, and more. Just give us a call today at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or message us online, to get started with your application.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    There are many fees employers must consider related to Care Worker Visas in the UK. There is a £536 fee for the sponsor licence and a cost of £199 to assign a Certificate of Sponsorship. There is also a visa fee that has varying costs depending on the period the worker will work for you.

                    Companies will also have to pay £364 for the Immigration Skills Charge if they are a small company or £1000 per year if they are a large company. Employers should be sure to consider the employee’s salary in determining the cost of employing a migrant worker.

                    A Health and Care Visa can be refused in the UK. However, should this happen, the applicant is eligible to apply online for an administrative review if they believe the decision was not correct.