Digital Nomad Visa France

A digital nomad is a professional who works remotely to earn money. They can work from anywhere in the world as their jobs are not tied to a particular location. As a UK citizen, you can work remotely in France with some visa options.

At Total Law, we can guide you through options for working as a digital nomad in France. Call 0333 305 9375 or contact us via our online chat.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Does France Have a Digital Nomad Visa?

    France does not have a dedicated Digital Nomad Visa. This is because the French government has not made any provisions for it.

    However, other EU countries like Estonia, Portugal and Norway offer Digital Nomad Visas to foreign remote workers. As a non-EU/EEA citizen, you can still work remotely in France with other available visa options.

    For foreigners seeking an alternative visa to the French Digital Nomad Visa, the country provides a Long-stay Visa (Visa de Long Séjour) that allows foreigners to stay in France for over 90 days and up to one year.

    Visa options for digital nomads in France include Profession Libérale Visa, Talent Passport Visa and EU Blue Card.

    The kind of visa you choose depends on your job and how long you intend to stay in France. Our expert lawyers at Total Law will advise you on the best option for your situation. We will assist you every step of the way. Call 0333 305 9375 to get started.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    We would be happy to assist you with any French visas or permits. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      France Digital Nomad Visa Options and Eligibility Criteria

      As a digital nomad, you can have the option of applying for different Long-stay Visas in France. This is because it is against the law to work remotely as a digital nomad in France on a Short-stay Visa. Tje alternatives to a France Digital Nomad Visa include@

      EU Blue Card 

      The EU Blue Card allows you to live and work in France as a highly qualified person. It also permits you to reside and work in the EU within four years.

      You must meet requirements regarding the duration of your stay in France and be a non-European citizen in order to be granted the EUBlue Card Visa. You must also prove that you have the financial resources for sustenance, health insurance, and Republican assimilation.

      Additionally, you must meet certain income standards for a highly skilled position and have a valid job offer or employment contract in an EU country to be eligible for an EU Blue Card.

      After five years of continuous residence in the EU, holders of blue cards are eligible to apply for an EU long-term residence permit. This applies if your residency was authorised by your Blue Card and you have lived constantly in France for the past two years.

      Profession Libérale Visa 

      This is a Long-stay Visa in France designed specifically for freelancers. With this visa, you can stay in France for up to a year or longer.

      If your goal is to start a new business, you must provide proof of the project’s economic feasibility to be granted this visa.

      You must also demonstrate that you have sufficient financial resources or the equivalent of the minimum pay legally required in France for a full-time worker to work in a liberal profession or in an occupation that has already been established.

      Once approved, you will be granted a Long-stay Visa, which is the same as a (VLS/TS) residence permit. It will say “entrepreneur/profession libérale” (self-employed in a regulated liberal profession).

      If you apply for the validation of your visa within fifteen days of your arrival in France, it will remain valid for a full year. Finishing all the paperwork at the French office as soon as you arrive in France is recommended.

      Talent Passport Visa

      Non-EU citizens can work in France for over three months with the Talent Passport Visa. It is a multi-year residence card that can be used for up to four years.

      Digital nomads who wish to create their own business in France and have at least €30,000 to invest are eligible for the Talent Passport. If you have this visa, you can visit France for up to four years with your family.

      Required Documents to Work in France as a Digital Nomad

      In addition to the specific requirements of the different Long-stay Visas for digital nomads in France, there are documents needed including:

      • A passport (valid for at least six months beyond the length of your planned stay in France)
      • Comprehensive health insurance for the duration of your stay
      • Proof of accommodation
      • Passport-sized photos
      • Proof of sufficient funds (for example, your bank statement)
      • Police criminal record
      • Degree/professional certificates
      • A business strategy outlining the venture that will be undertaken during the stay in France

      How to Apply to Work in France as a Digital Nomad from the UK

      The application process for the different Long-stay Visas is the same but differs in the required documents and associated fees. The steps to apply are:

      • Fill out the visa application for the right visa online or at the French consulate in the UK.
      • Prepare the required documents
      • Schedule an appointment with the French consulate online
      • Attend your appointment on time and pay the associated visa fee
      • Track your visa progress online
      • Travel to France once your visa is approved

      For EU Blue Card:

      • Verify your visa online when you arrive in France to obtain a Residence Permit
      • Schedule an appointment on the Prefecture website for your area in order to apply for this. The following information is required to finish your application:
      • your arrival date
      • payment card
      • residence address
      • visa number.
      • Wait a few weeks for the approval of your application after submitting it

      For the EU Blue Card, the visa fee is €269 and the processing time is about 90 days.

      For Professional Libérale Visa:

      • Register your company with the Unions for the Recovery of Social Security Contributions and Family Allowances (URSSAF)
      • Use the French Office for Immigration and Integration (OFII) website to verify your visa and get a Temporary Residence Permit

      The visa fee is €99 and the processing time takes 15-20 days.

      For Talent Passport Visa:

      • Validate your visa at OFII within three months of arrival
      • Apply for the appropriate multiyear residence permit once you arrive in France

      The validity period of the multi-year talent passport residency card is up to four years from the date of entry in France. The application fee for a Talent Passport is €225, including a tax of €200 and a tax stamp of €25. The processing time is 90 days.

      Your visa application should be accurate and complete. You can get delayed or rejected due to errors. Consider hiring an immigration lawyer for a smooth process. At Total Law, our knowledge guarantees compliance with regulations, increasing your chances of getting your visa approved. Call 0333 305 9375 for assistance.

      France Digital Nomad to Long-Term Residencies

      If you have the right visa, you can live and work lawfully in France for up to four years as a digital nomad. These visas also offer a possible route to permanent residency or French citizenship. The initial visa may be renewed once per year for a maximum of three more years.

      However, anyone can apply for a formal citizenship application after living in France for a continuous four years.

      This process is more involved than applying for a visa, and it has its own set of qualifying requirements. If approved, it gives you the freedom to live, work, and enjoy all the benefits of being a citizen of the European Union in France.

      Contact Total Law For Help

      Total Law offers professional support to people seeking the necessary visas for France. Our experienced staff is here to help, whether you require advice for an EU Blue Card, a Profession Libérale, or any other type of long-stay visa.

      Understanding the different available visa options might be difficult, but Total Law provides thorough assistance with both the application and appeals processes. Since France is the most visited country in Western Europe, our staff has a great deal of experience with French visa applications.

      Knowing the requirements for each visa type is important for anyone planning a long stay in France, including digital nomads. Our experts at Total Law are committed to assisting you in getting the necessary visa authorisations and making the process smooth and successful.

      For more information about your possibilities for obtaining a visa and the necessary paperwork, call us at 0333 305 9375 or reach us online.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.


                No, UK citizens cannot apply for the French Working Holiday Visa because there is no bilateral agreement between the two countries.

                No, a Tourist Visa does not allow you to work as a digital nomad in France. It is strictly illegal to work for any French organisation or make money in France while on a Tourist Visa. This applies even if you work remotely for clients who are not in France.

                Yes, if you intend to reside in France for more than a year, you are required to pay taxes. The tax treaty between France and the UK will determine your tax status.