UK Unmarried Partner Visa

As a Bangladeshi with a UK partner, you can get a visa to be with your partner if they are a UK citizen and you meet the criteria for the visa.

The visa for unmarried partners can be quite complex, however. There are strict criteria that need to be met, and this is why you should seek legal assistance. Contact one of our legal teams at Total Law to get assistance with your UK unmarried partner visa. Call us today at +44 (0)333 305 9375 to get started.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    The UK Unmarried Partner Visa: An Overview

    Bangladeshis with UK partners who are unmarried can choose to apply for UK entry with an unmarried partner visa.

    This visa is also often known as the UK de facto visa and applies to those in heterosexual and homosexual relationships.

    The primary eligibility factor is that the couple can demonstrate evidence that they have been in a committed, serious relationship on a long-term basis; this usually asks for proof of a relationship for over 2 years.

    This visa generally falls under family visas, applying to married couples, children, parents, and those with a spouse or civil partner.

    This visa allows foreign non-EEA nationals, including Bangladeshi citizens, to remain in or enter the UK to be able to live with their British partner.

    This visa is given provided that the applicant can prove that they are in a genuine, long-term committed relationship with a British citizen or person who is settled in the UK or has an ILR.

    The UK-based partner must remain and live in the UK with no immigration restrictions. This means the UK-based partner can be one of the following:

    • A full British citizen.
    • A person who is present and settled in the UK with ILR (indefinite leave to remain).
    • A person who is currently staying in the UK under humanitarian protection with refugee status.
    • Be from the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, or Iceland and have pre-settled status, having been living in the UK since prior to January 1st 2023.
    • Have a Turkish Worker or Turkish Businessperson Visa

    This visa does have certain requirements that the applicant will need to meet to be successful in their application.

    As well as this, the applicant must be able to prove that they have been in a genuine relationship with their partner for a minimum of two years at the time of application.

    Both partners also need to be over 18 years of age and intend on living together in the UK on a long-term, permanent basis.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    UK unmarried partner visa applications can be complex. Working with our immigration team can maximise your chances of success. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      UK Unmarried Partner Visa Requirements & Eligibility Criteria

      To be considered eligible for the unmarried partner visa in the UK, applicants need to meet the eligibility criteria and be able to satisfy the requirements for documented proof of the relationship.

      Bangladeshis who apply for this visa need to meet requirements set by the Home Office and UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration).

      The following are the eligibility requirements applicants need to meet:

      • Applicants must show and prove that all previous relationships have ended. This includes past relationships that the UK-based sponsor or the non-EEA applicant were in, whether the past relationship was a marriage or not.
      • Both applicant and sponsor must be over the age of 18 at the time of applying.
      • The UK-based sponsor needs to be able to show they have ILR, British citizenship, be from the EU Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, or Iceland with pre-settled status, have a Turkish Worker or Businessperson Visa or have humanitarian protection in the UK.
      • The applicant needs to show that they have not only met physically and been in a relationship for the past two years but that they have been living together for at least two years at the time the application is made. This can demonstrate that the couple has been working towards a genuine, subsisting relationship akin to marriage. This is mandatory for every applicant, and documentation is required to show it.
      • The applicant must show that they and their UK-based partner both intend to live together in the UK permanently, which requires significant evidence.
      • There must be suitable accommodation available for the unmarried couple and any dependents they may have. This requires showing that all individuals who will be living together will have suitable accommodation to support an acceptable quality of life.
      • The non-EEA applicant needs to show that they can speak and understand English to the level required. These requirements may include providing evidence showing English language skills, such as a language test. However, the applicant may be considered exempt if another British language is proficient, such as Gaelic or Welsh.
      • The applicant and their partner in the UK must be able to support themselves financially in full, with no need to claim public funding. This means there are financial requirements for the applicant’s gross annual income, which must be proven to be considered eligible for this visa. The requirements will fall upon the settled individual in the UK, not the applying partner.
      • The minimum threshold needed to meet the requirements for this visa is £29,000.
      • If the household includes a dependent child coming to settle in the UK, no additional funds are required.

      Required Documents

      Upon applying for the Unmarried Partner Visa UK, Bangladeshis will be asked to provide specific documents that will help prove that they are eligible for this type of partner visa. These documents will include the following:

      • The applicant’s current passport.
      • A copy of the applicant’s BRP (biometric residence permit).
      • Proof of the relationship:
        • The details of the UK-based partner, such as their name, nationality, date of birth, passport, and right to live in the UK,.
        • Evidence of the relationship with the UK partner, showing how and when you met. As well as how often you see each other. The evidence provided should be less than 4 years old.
        • Evidence of how long the couple has lived together, such as shared bills, rental agreements, mortgages, and other expenses paid for together.
        • Whether the migrating partner provides care for the UK partner.
        • Details of anyone with whom the partner previously had a civil relationship or was married, including if they had children, and divorce certificates provided.
        • Details of anyone to whom the UK partner provides financial support.
      • Proof that the financial requirement can be met by the couple, such as:
        • Bank statements that show both partner’s income and cash savings.
        • 6 months worth of payslips.
        • A letter from either the partner or applicant’s employer, with details on the length of the employment, pay, role, and confirmation that the payslips provided are genuine.
        • Evidence of income from any other sources, such as rental properties, pensions, and so forth.
        • P60s.
      • Details containing any information regarding previous immigration applications the applicant has made.
      • Details regarding any criminal convictions.
      • National insurance number.
      • Tuberculosis test results (required in Bangladesh).

      All documents must be translated, if not already into English, and must be official. It is recommended to speak to a legal advisor or immigration advisor at Total Law to help you collect all the necessary documentation for your application.

      Application Fees Of The UK Unmarried Partner Visa

      Unmarried partner visas in the UK will cost £1,048 per person if the application is made in the UK. If the application is made outside of the UK, then the application fee will be £1,538.

      Applicants should be aware that there will be other fees associated with applying. This will include the immigration health surcharge for an unmarried partner. The cost of this will be £624 per person per year for adults and £470 for children.

      The immigration health surcharge provides the individual with access to the UK NHS.

      The Application Process For The Unmarried Partner Visa

      To apply for an unmarried partner visa, the applicant will need to complete several steps. Do the following to apply:

      1. Complete the Unmarried Partner Visa application form online. The form that is required will depend on whether or not the application is made inside or outside of the UK. There will be two separate links on the Home Office page to apply; be sure you use the correct one if you are applying from outside the UK.
      2. While completing the Unmarried Partner Visa application, you can also submit your supporting documents to prove your eligibility for this visa.
      3. You will need to pay the required application fees and healthcare surcharge upon completion of the application.
      4. Once the fees are paid and the form is completed, the applicant will need to make and attend an appointment at a UKVCAS or Visa application centre. In Bangladesh, there are two available centres, one in Sylhet and one in Dhaka. This appointment is necessary to have biometrics processed.
      5. At the UKVCAS or Visa Application Centre appointment, the applicant will have their fingerprints and biometrics processed.

      It can take a few months to get a decision on an unmarried partner visa in the UK. Those applying from outside the UK may get a decision within 12 weeks, while those applying from inside the UK will get a decision in 8 weeks.

      Yet, applicants should ensure they make their application thorough to ensure as few delays as possible. Some individuals may be asked to attend an interview; this can, on occasion, make the decision time longer.

      Make the application process easier with the help of our immigration team. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Unmarried Partner Visa Application Processing Time

        UKVI claims that 95% of all UK Unmarried Partner Visa applications are processed within 12 weeks of submission. Therefore, most can expect to have their decision during this period.

        Those who wish to have their application processed sooner may be able to use the priority visa service. A majority of centres will offer this if they are outside of the UK. This service ensures that your application goes to the front of the queue.

        Individuals who use the priority service can generally expect a decision on their application within 30 working days.

        Extending/Renewing The UK Unmarried Partner Visa

        Those who wish to remain in the UK will need to extend their Unmarried Partner Visa before the date it expires. Should an extension be granted, the applicant can remain in the UK for an additional 2.5 years. After this, the individual will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

        The Unmarried Partner Visa Holder's Rights And Benefits

        Once an individual is granted the Unmarried Partner Visa in the UK, the applicant can enjoy a variety of rights and benefits. They will have the right to work and live in the UK on a visa and will have access to public funds such as education and healthcare.

        As well as this, the applicant will also have the option to apply for settlement, or ILR, after they have lived in the UK for a certain period. This is a visa category that provides applicants with a pathway to long-term UK settlement for those who are not married or in a civil partnership.

        Bringing Dependents

        Anyone who is applying for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa will also be able to apply to bring their dependents with them when they travel to the UK.

        This being said, there are certain things they need to be aware of regarding fees and financial requirements. Applicants with children under the age of 18 will be able to apply for them to enter the UK with them as their dependents.

        If you have dependents, you should ensure their applications are made at the same time as your initial application for an Unmarried Partner Visa. Dependents who are applying at the same time as you will then acquire a visa that enables them to stay in the UK as long as you do.

        How Total Law Can Help

        Those who wish to live with their partner in the UK who is a British citizen or who has ILR can apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa. This application can be complex, and you will need to provide a range of documents as proof of your genuine and subsisting relationship.

        This is why it can be a good idea to get legal advice and assistance with your application. If you are applying for a UK unmarried Partner visa, contact us at Total Law. Our legal team can help with your application, so give us a call at +44 (0)333 305 9375 to get started.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.


                  The English language requirement for this visa can be met either by coming from an English-speaking country, having a degree or other academic qualification taught in English, or by passing an English language test at A1 proficiency on the CEFR scale.

                  Those on visas with a leave period of 6 months or fewer (such as the Visit Visa) will need to leave the UK and apply for entry clearance as an unmarried partner from overseas or their home country.

                  A UK Unmarried Partner Visa may be refused for many reasons, such as:

                  • Not meeting the genuine and subsisting relationship requirement.
                  • Not meeting the financial requirement.
                  • Not providing all the information.
                  • Providing false information.
                  • Not being viewed as of good character by the Home Office.
                  • Not paying the adequate application fee.

                  If refused, you may be able to apply for an administrative or judicial review, or you may be able to submit a new application, as well as others. The options available depend on your circumstances.