Overview of the Canada Super Visa
The Canada super visa (also known as the parents and grandparents super visa) is a visa that allows parents and grandparents of eligible Canadian citizens or permanent residents to visit them in Canada.
It is similar to a standard visitor visa, except that it allows holders to stay in Canada for periods of time up to 10 years.
It is a type of multiple-entry visa, which means that you will be able to leave and enter Canada as many times as you like during the visa’s validity.
There are a range of eligibility criteria that all super visa applicants must adhere to, such as having private medical insurance. The household of the child or grandchild you will be visiting must also meet minimum income requirements.
What Is the Eligibility Criteria?
In order to be eligible for a Canada super visa, you must:
- Be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- Have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes the following information:
- A promise of financial support for the length of your visit
- The list and number of people in the household of this person
- A copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- Have proof of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company. This medical insurance will need to:
- Be paid in full, or in instalments with a deposit (quotes aren’t accepted)
- Be valid for at least 1 year from the date you’ll enter Canada
- Cover your health care, hospitalization and repatriation
- Provide for at least $100,000 emergency coverage
- Not be inadmissible to Canada
- Pass an immigration medical exam
What Can I Do With a Canada Super Visa?
A Canada super visa will allow you to visit your eligible child or grandchild in Canada for a period of time up to 10 years.
How long you can stay in Canada will depend on a few different factors, such as when you applied.
You will be able to stay in Canada for an initial 5 year period of any of the following apply to you:
- You applied for a super visa on or after 4 July 2022
- Your super visa application was approved after 4 July 2022
- Your super visa application was approved before 4 July 2022, but you entered Canada after this date
If you entered Canada with a super visa before 4 July 2022, the length of stay that was granted to you will be the same, which will have normally been up to two years at a time.
You will not be able to work or study in Canada with a super visa. If you wish to do either of these, you will need to apply for a dedicated work permit or study permit.
How Do I Apply?
You must apply for a Canada super visa online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website, before you travel to Canada from the US.
As part of the application process, you will have to fill in the online form and upload the necessary supporting documents.
You will also have to pay the application fee for the super visa at this point.
After you submit your online application, you will also have to attend a medical examination to confirm that you are medically admissible to Canada.
You may also be asked to attend an interview with IRCC or to provide them with more information to help your application, such as a police certificate.
What Documents Do I Need to Provide?
The documents you will need to provide with your super visa application include (but may not be limited to) the following:
- Proof of identification, such as a valid US passport or travel document
- A letter of invitation from your child or grandchild containing the information as listed in the eligibility section above
- Proof that your child or grandchild’s household meets the minimum necessary income, such as the following:
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
- Employment Insurance Benefit statements
- Employment letter including salary, job title, job description, and date of hiring
- Pay stubs
- Bank statements
- Proof of payment for medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
- Valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
- At least $100,000 emergency coverage
What Are the Fees and Processing Times?
A Canada super visa costs CAN$100 to obtain.
It may take several months for IRCC to process your visa application when applying from the US. As an example, estimated times range from a couple of months to 11 months.
Processing times will vary based on numerous factors, such as how busy the service is, how complex the application is, and how long it takes for you to respond to questions or concerns from IRCC.
You can check up-to-date processing time estimates using the ‘Check processing times’ tool on the IRCC website.
How Can Total Law Help?
The Canada parent and grandparent super visa is one of the easiest ways for US citizens to visit Canada long-term, as long as applicants meet the necessary eligibility criteria.
If you’re a US citizen or resident seeking to travel to Canada with a super visa, or any other type of immigration pathway available, Total Law can help.
We are a team of immigration experts and lawyers working in international immigration law. We can help advise you on your own situation to help you travel to Canada and join family members, work, study or settle.
Whether you’re interested in applying for a super visa and don’t know where to start, need additional advice on the eligibility criteria, or need to apply for a different type of visa, or through Express Entry, we can help.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
In order to be eligible for a super visa, the household of the child or grandchild you’ll be joining in Canada must meet certain minimum income thresholds.
These thresholds will depend on the size of the household.
As of 2022, the thresholds are as follows:
|Size of Family Unit||Minimum necessary gross income (in CAN$)|
|1 person (your child or grandchild)||$26,620|
|If more than 7 persons, for each additional person, add:||$7,172|
You may be able to apply for a super visa on paper if either of the following apply to you:
- You’re unable to apply online because of a disability
- You’re travelling with an identity or travel document that was issued to a refugee, a stateless person or a non-citizen