UK Study Visa From Turkey

Turkey is in the top 20 nationalities of international students in the UK. Depending on your circumstances, different types of UK Study visas are available to Turkish nationals. Each has specific eligibility criteria and requirements.

For more inquiries about UK Student visas and their requirements, you can speak with our UK immigration lawyers today. We will answer your pressing questions and guide you through the application process. You can reach us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or via the online contact form today for immediate assistance.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Study in the UK Overview

    Most foreign nationals require a Student visa to study in the UK. You must meet the 70-point requirements of the points-based immigration system to qualify to apply for a Student visa. You meet this requirement by:

    • Receiving an unconditional offer of admission from an eligible UK institution – 50 points
    • Being proficient in the English language – 10 point
    • Having sufficient resources to finance your studies in the UK – 10 points

    Studying in the UK provides certain benefits, including:

    • Access to world-class learning opportunities
    • Ability to work and earn while studying
    • Access to free, quality healthcare services
    • Career-building opportunities: You’ll receive career mentorship during your studies and may be able to switch to a Graduate visa after your studies, allowing you to remain in the UK and seek gainful employment
    • Opportunities to obtain UK permanent residency: If you can get a job and remain in the UK after your studies, you’ll be eligible for UK permanent residency after some years

    Student visas are usually valid for the duration of the study plus an additional one month. However, if you meet the required conditions, you can extend your visa to pursue further education or switch to a Work visa after your studies.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Types of UK Study Visa

    There are three main types of UK Study visas. They include:

    • Short-term Student visa
    • Child Student visa
    • General Student visa for long-term study

    Each Student visa type has specific eligibility criteria and requirements. There are also varying allowances for each type.

    People sitting down in the library

    Short-term Study Visa

    The short-term study route is available to international students who want to come to the UK to study English language courses. It’s applicable if you want to study six to eleven-month English courses in any independent UK institution.

    To be eligible for a short-term study visa, you must:

    • Be at least 16 years old
    • Have been accepted into an English language course lasting longer than six months and no more than 11 months
    • Prove that your course is offered by an accredited institution (non-state funded) and includes no other subject
    • Provide evidence that you have sufficient financial resources to pay your course fees and support yourself without needing to work or receive help from public funds
    • If you are less than 18, you must
      • Have a letter of consent from your parents or guardians to study in the UK
      • Have arrangements for your travel and accommodation in the UK

    With this visa, you cannot bring dependent family members, work, or carry out any business in the UK. The Short-term Student visa is also not extendable. It allows you to stay in the UK for the duration of your course and an extra 30 days, but no longer than 11 months.

    Child Student Route

    The Child Student visa replaced the Tier 4 (Child) Student visa. It is available to foreign nationals between ages 4 and 17 who want to study at an independent UK institution. To qualify for this visa, you must:

    • Have an unconditional offer of admission for a course at an independent institution in the UK
    • Prove that you can access sufficient funds to pay for your course and support yourself in the UK
    • Prove that your parents or guardians consented to your study in the UK

    If you’re less than 16 years old, you can apply for a course up to six years long. But, if you’re over 16, your course of study cannot be longer than three years. Your visa grants you leave to remain in the UK for your studies and up to four months afterward.

    You can switch to a Child Student visa from within the UK if you meet the eligibility requirements. You can also extend your visa to continue your studies in the UK.

    You cannot bring family members on a Child Student visa. If one of your parents wants to accompany you, they must apply for a “Parent of a Child Student visa” visa.

    Student Visa for Long-term Study

    The Student visa replaced the Tier 4 General Student visa in October 2020. It is for international students 16 years and older who want to study in the UK for over 12 months. To be eligible for this visa, you must:

    • Have been offered admission to study a course in the UK by a licensed student sponsor
    • Have enough funds to pay for your course and support yourself in the UK. The amount you’ll need depends on your circumstances
    • Be proficient in speaking, writing, and reading English. It must be up to CEFR level B2 for degree level courses and above and CEFR level B1 for courses below degree level
    • Have parental consent to study in the UK if you’re 16 or 17. A Child Student visa will be better if you intend to study in an independent institution

    You can apply for the visa from Turkey or inside the UK if you’re already in the UK on a qualifying visa route. You can also extend your Student visa to further your studies if you meet the eligibility requirements for an extension.

    Maximise your UK study visa application's chances of success, when you enlist our specialist lawyers. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Eligible Courses for UK Student Visa

      To qualify for a Student visa, you must have admission to study an eligible course in an approved sponsor institution. The eligible courses include:

      • A full-time course leading to a qualification below degree level (RQF 3 – 5) with up to 15 hours of daytime study per week
      • A full-time course with a degree level qualification or above (RQF 6 – 8)
      • A full-time course at degree level or above, equal to a UK higher education course being offered as part of a longer course abroad
      • A part-time course with a qualification above degree level
      • An English language course at CERF B2 level or above
      • An approved foundation programme for postgraduate dentists and doctors

      You are also eligible for a Student visa if you take up a full-time elected Student Union Sabbatical Officer position. You may need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate if you’re researching or studying sensitive topics above degree level.

      Financial Requirements for UK Student Visa

      Turkish students must prove they have the financial resources to pay for their courses and support themselves in the UK to qualify for a Student visa. You must provide recent bank statements to prove this. Your bank statement must be no later than one month before your application.

      The UK Student visa financial requirements include:

      • Enough money to pay for at least the first year of your course. The amount will be stated in your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
      • £1,334 per month (for at least 9 months) for courses in London
      • For courses outside of London, £1,023 per month (for at least 9 months)
      • For doctorate courses in London, £2,668 per month (for at least 9 months)
      • For doctorate courses outside London, £2,046 per month (for at least 9 months)

      To qualify, the required money for your course fee and maintenance must remain in your account for 28 consecutive days. Any drop in the required minimum amount disqualifies you for the visa.

      You do not have to prove that you have sufficient funds if you’re applying from inside the UK and you’ve been in the UK for up to 12 months before your application.

      Applying for a UK Student Visa

      You will need to apply online on the UK government website. The steps to applying for a UK Student visa are as follows:

      1. Apply for a place in an eligible UK institution: You must have received an unconditional offer of a place to study a course from an approved UK student sponsor.
      2. Receive your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS): If you meet the requirements for your course and the school offers you a place, the university will issue you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). It is valid for six months, and you must apply for an entry visa within that time. You may be required to pay a deposit before receiving your CAS. The CAS will carry:
        • Your details
        • Course details
        • Record of fees paid and deposits made
        • Outstanding fees to be paid
        • Educational and language qualifications
      3. Apply online for your visa: Create an account on the UK government website and complete the Student visa application form. Ensure you provide all required details, including your CAS and the university’s sponsor licence number. You will need a credit or debit card to pay your Student visa application fee. You’ll be required to make a biometric appointment at the visa application centre nearest to you. You’ll also need to confirm where you want to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) when you arrive in the UK.
      1. Prepare your supporting evidence: Start early to prepare documents proving you meet the financial and other entry requirements for a Student visa. Preparing your supporting documents before starting your Student visa application is advisable. You’ll submit these documents during your biometric appointment.
      2. Attend your biometric appointment: Your biometric data is needed to prepare your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). You’ll submit your biometric information and all supporting documentation during your appointment at the local VAS centre.
      3. Receive your entry visa: Once you’ve completed your application and submitted the relevant supporting documents, you’ll have to wait for the Home Office’s decision. If your application is successful, you’ll receive a letter confirming it and an entry vignette with which you’ll enter the UK. The entry vignette is valid for three months, so you must travel to the UK within that time.
      4. Collect your Biometric Residence Permit: Your BRP qualifies you for a long-term stay in the UK. You must collect your BRP from your chosen collection point within 10 days of arriving in the UK.

      Depending on your VAS, you can pay for accelerated visa processing if you’re in a hurry to travel.

      For tailored assistance with studying in the UK, speak with our immigration lawyers today. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Documents Required for UK Student Visa Application

        You must provide the following documents when applying for a UK Student visa.

        • A valid passport or other travel document
        • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your sponsoring institution
        • Proof of sufficient funds to pay for your course and support yourself
        • A valid ATAS certificate if your course requires it
        • Written consent for your application from your sponsor if you’ve received financial sponsorship in the last 12 months
        • Tuberculosis test results
        • Proof of proficiency in the English language – pass result of a Secure English Language Test (SELT) administered by an approved provider
        • If you’re under 18, written consent from parents or guidance confirming their support for your UK study and travel and accommodation arrangements is required
        • For applicants below 18, proof of relationship to your parents or guardians

        You must provide certified translations for documents not in English or Welsh besides the originals. Depending on your circumstances, you may be required to provide additional documents.

        Processing Time for UK Student Visa

        The processing time for UK study visas depends on where you’re applying from. Applications from outside the UK are typically processed within 3 to 4 weeks. Applications made from within the UK can take up to 8 weeks.

        Student wearing hijab, leaving her house

        UK Study Visa Application Fee

        Applying for a UK study visa from Turkey costs:

        • £186 for Short-term Study visa
        • £490 for a Child Student visa
        • £490 for a Student Visa

        You’ll also have to pay a healthcare surcharge of £470 for each year of your study. Extending your UK Study visa or switching from an eligible visa category from inside the UK also costs £490.

        How Long Can You Stay in the UK with a Student Visa?

        How long you can stay in the UK depends on the duration of your course and previously completed studies in the UK (if applicable). You can generally stay in the UK for up to 5 years if you’re 18 or older and your course is at the degree level. If your course is less than a degree level, you can generally stay for up to 2 years.

        You can extend your visa to further your studies in the UK. If you meet the requirements, you can switch to a Graduate visa after your studies.

        We're well versed in UK immigration law. Reach out to us for assistance today. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          How Can Total Law Help?

          UK Study visas are highly sought after because of the excellent education and international career opportunities that come with schooling in the UK. However, obtaining a Student visa can be challenging due to the competitiveness of securing admission to a sponsoring institution and the rigorous process involved in obtaining a Student visa.

          And though the benefits of schooling in the UK make it worthwhile, you don’t have to go through all that stress. Engaging the help of UK immigration experts will make the application process stress-free and minimise the chances of having your Student visa application rejected.

          Total Law UK immigration lawyers can help you with your visa application anytime. We are conversant with UK immigration regulations and have years of experience assisting international students to obtain their visas.

          We’ll guide you in selecting an eligible sponsor institution, obtaining your CAS, securing other supporting documentation, and applying for your Student visa. We’ll also maintain contact with the Home Office until your visa is processed.

          You can reach us today via the online contact form or call us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 for immediate assistance.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    Starting from January 2024, most international students will be unable to bring their dependants to the UK unless they are:

                    • Government-sponsored students taking a course lasting longer than 6 months
                    • Enrolled in a postgraduate course with a research component lasting over 9 months.

                    Student visa holders can work part-time during school terms and full-time during vacations. You can work up to 20 hours per week on a Student visa and 10 hours per week on a Child Student visa if you’re over 16. However, you cannot take full-time permanent employment, own a business, or work as a professional entertainer or sportsperson.

                    You can apply for your visa up to three months before your course begins if you’re applying from outside the UK and up to three months before if you are applying from inside the UK.