Overview of the Family Visitor Visa UK
The UK Family Visitor visa also known as Family Visit visa is a part of the Standard Visitor visa category which allows Turkish citizens to visit a family member residing in the UK. You can apply for this visa up to 3 months before your expected departure date from Turkey.
Turkish citizens are allowed to stay in the UK for up to 6 months on the UK Family Visitor visa. However, if you intend to enter the UK frequently for visitation purposes, it’s better to apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa which can be granted for a 2, 5, or 10-year validity period.
With the Standard Visitor visa, you can enter the UK multiple times and are only permitted to remain there for up to 6 months per entry. The UK Family Visitor visa does not allow its holder to get married and does not offer a route to settlement in the UK.
As a Turkish citizen, before you are granted the Family Visitor visa, you must prove to the UK authorities that you have plans to return to Turkey once your visa expires. Additionally, you must meet several eligibility requirements and provide certain documents to get the visa.
- Overview of the Family Visitor Visa UK
- Eligibility Requirements for the Family Visitor Visa UK
- Documents Required for a Family Visitor Visa UK
- Applying for a Family Visitor Visa UK: Step-by-Step Guide
- Proving a Genuine Relationship for a Family Visitor Visa UK
- Sponsor Requirements for Family Visitor Visa
- Application Fees for UK Family Visitor Visa
- Processing Time and Validity Period for Family Visitor Visa
- Extending Your Family Visitor Visa UK
- How Can Total Law Help?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Eligibility Requirements for the Family Visitor Visa UK
Before you apply for a Family Visit visa UK, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Have a valid Turkish passport that will be valid until your Family Visitor visa expires.
- Prove that you can cover the expenses for your return and onward journey.
- Show that you have enough funds to cover your expenses and those of your dependents while you are in the UK.
- You must not plan to reside in the UK or make it your primary residence through repeated or frequent trips.
- Prove that you have plans to leave the UK at the end of your visit.
Note that if you don’t have sufficient funds to cover your expenses and those of your dependents when you enter the UK, or you cannot cover the cost of the onward trip, you can ask your UK-based family member to support you financially.
Documents Required for a Family Visitor Visa UK
Turkish citizens are required to provide some documents to support their application. The UK Family Visitor visa documents required include:
- Your Turkish international passport.
- Your UK family member’s contact details.
- Your employer’s contact details.
- Details of your partner, such as their passport number and date of birth.
- Your parents’ details, such as name and dates of birth.
- Details of your duration of residence and home address.
- The details of any civil, criminal, or immigration offences.
- Your annual income.
- An estimate of what you will spend in the UK.
- Evidence of sufficient funds to cover your expenses and those of your dependents in the UK. Presenting your bank statements, or payslips can serve as proof.
- Information on your travel plans, such as when you are expected to enter and leave the UK.
- Your travel record for the last 10 years.
- Your onward and return travel ticket.
- Information about the family member who will cover the costs of your trip to and from the UK.
- Medical examination certificate, such as Tuberculosis (TB) test (if needed).
- Proof of accommodation. You must prove that you have a place to stay when you travel to the UK.
Keep in mind that the above-mentioned documents required of Turkish citizens seeking to visit their family members in the UK may differ. Your situation may require you to provide additional documents to support your UK Family Visitor visa application.
Besides that, ensure that any document in a foreign language is translated into English by a licensed translator and ensure they are duly notarised.
Step 1. Fill Out the Online Application
Turkish applicants must complete the Family Visitor visa online application form when applying for the visa. You must fill out the form with the correct information.
Ensure that you do not falsify the information on the application form as they must align with the documents you provide while applying for the visa. Each dependent who wants to join you via this visa must file a separate application.
Step 2. Assemble Your Documents
Gather all the required documents needed for the UK Family Visitor visa application. Your situation may require you to provide more supporting documents. Ensure you provide original documents when they are needed.
Step 3. Pay the Application Fee
After the online application, you will be required to pay your visa fees online on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website. The Family Visit visa payment method may be via credit or debit card.
Step 4. Book an Online Appointment
Schedule an appointment with a Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir, Bursa or Gaziantep (anyone closest to your residence). After scheduling the appointment, you must print a confirmation email of your appointment. Get the printout and bring along all the required documents to the appointment at the VAC.
Step 5. Attend the Appointment
Turkish applicants are required to submit their biometric information (fingerprints and photographs) at the appointment. Each applicant is required to visit the VAC in person, including children. Adult applicants are required to accompany applicants who are under 18 years old to the appointment.
Step 6. Pick Up Your Visa
You need to wait for up to 3 weeks to get a decision on your Family Visitor visa application. After a decision has been made on your application, you will be told where and when to come and pick up your visa.
Proving a Genuine Relationship for a Family Visitor Visa UK
As a Turkish applicant seeking a visa to visit the UK, you will be required to prove that you have a genuine relationship with your family member who lives in the UK. You must prove how you are connected to the US-based family member you’re going to visit. After proving your relationship with the individual, the UK immigration authorities must be convinced that you will be returning to Turkey once your Family Visitor visa expires.
Sponsor Requirements for Family Visitor Visa
If your trip to the UK is being sponsored by a UK-based family member, you may be required to provide proof of:
- Your relationship with the family member (sponsor).
- Provision of the sponsorship, such as information about the provided accommodation or bank statements indicating savings.
- The residence document or the British passport of your sponsor.
- Provided support, such as funds, accommodation, and onward journey payment.
Application Fees for UK Family Visitor Visa
Turkish citizens applying for a Family Visitor visa must make a financial commitment to obtain the visa. You must pay £115 for the UK Family Visitor visa.
You can opt for a long-term Family Visitor visa if you will be entering the UK frequently. Therefore, you will pay:
- £400 for a 2-year long-term UK Family Visitor visa
- £771 for a 5-year long-term UK Family Visitor visa
- £963 for a 10-year long-term UK Family Visitor visa
Processing Time and Validity Period for Family Visitor Visa
It typically takes about 3 weeks for your UK Family Visitor visa to be processed after applying online, proving your identity, and submitting all the required documents.
If you are allowed to stay in the UK for fewer than 6 months and you would like to prolong your stay to a maximum of 6 months, you might be granted an extension of your Family Visitor visa. For instance, you can file for an additional 3 months in the UK after you have been there for 3 months, but a total of 6 months cannot be exceeded.
Besides that, you may be granted an extension of stay on a Family Visitor visa if:
- You need to remain in the UK to finish medical treatment.
- You are either retaking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) exam or participating in a clinical attachment.
- You are an academic who meets the eligibility criteria.
How Can Total Law Help?
Applying for a UK Family Visitor visa to visit a UK-based family member may be overwhelming for you if you are applying for the first time. The reason is that you must meet the UK Family Visit visa requirements and provide several documents to support your application.
You must not omit crucial documents in your application as an omission of important documents or having errors in your application form may result in a refusal of your application. Our immigration lawyers can assist you in gathering your documents to ensure you have all the required documents in your file for a solid application.
Our immigration lawyers can also apply for the Family Visitor visa on your behalf with their years of experience in navigating the UK immigration complex procedures and achieving a favourable decision on visa applications. Call us today on +44 (0)333 305 9375 or message us online for immediate response.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
The Home Office typically turns down visa Family Visitor visas for some reasons that include the applicant:
- Does not have sufficient funds to cover their expenses when they enter the UK.
- Has no proof of the purpose of visit in the UK.
- Did not provide a criminal record certificate.
- Provided forged documents etc.
It is easy to get a Family visa in the UK when you meet the requirements and apply appropriately with the guidance of our immigration lawyers at Total Law. Our immigration lawyers can also help you apply for the Adult Dependent Relative visa which is one of the hardest UK Family visas to apply for. For guidance on how to apply for a Family visa from Turkey, call us today on +44 (0)333 305 9375 or contact us online.
There is no specific amount specified as the minimum threshold for a UK Visitor visa. However, the UK immigration authorities expect all applicants to prove that they have a reasonable amount of money in their bank accounts to support themselves financially during their stay in the UK.