Dependant Visa to UK For Australians

Australian citizens who have family members with a UK visa can apply for a dependant visa to join their relatives in the UK.

For more information about UK dependant visas, including eligibility requirements and immediate help with applying, speak to an expert immigration lawyer. Call us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    An Overview of the UK Dependant Visa

    The dependent visa is designed to allow immediate family members of UK visa holders to migrate to the UK.

    There are different UK visas that enable visa holders to bring dependant relatives into the country. These include individuals holding work and business visas and some others on the student route.

    The UK government made changes to the dependent visa routes. Starting January 2024, international students can no longer bring dependents to the UK, except those engaged in PhD studies or postgraduate research programs.

    Furthermore, individuals entering the country from March 11, 2024, as care workers and senior care workers under the Health and Care Visa route are also prohibited from bringing dependents.

    Immigration rules are subject to frequent modifications. Thus, it’s important to stay up to date with the recent changes, especially if you’re looking to migrate. For updated information on UK immigration laws, speak to one of our lawyers at +44 (0)333 305 9375.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Eligibility Criteria For Applying For a UK Dependant Visa


    To be eligible for a dependant visa, you must be the immediate family member of someone holding or applying for:

    • A long-term work visa, such as the Skilled Worker Visa, Minister of Religion Visa, etc.
    • A temporary work visa, except the Seasonal Worker Visa.
    • The Global Business Mobility visas
    • Innovator Founder Visa holders.
    • Global Talent Visa holders.
    • The UK Ancestry Visa.
    • A full-time study visa for a postgraduate level course (RQF level 8 or above) that lasts 9 months or longer.
    • A student visa as a government-sponsored student starting a course that lasts longer than 6 months.

    You can either apply for the dependant visa at the same time your family member is applying for their UK visa or after they are already settled in the UK.

    Eligibility Requirement for Partners

    You can apply for a dependant visa if you are the husband, wife, unmarried partner, or civil partner of a UK visa holder. You must be able to prove one of the following as well:

    • That you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK.
    • That you and your partner have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years.
    • That you have been in a relationship for at least 2 years, but you cannot live together, for example, because you’re working or studying in different places, or it’s not accepted in your culture.

    If you and your partner do not reside together, you must show that you are committed to each other. You should provide evidence of:

    • Regular communication
    • Financially supporting each other
    • Caring for any children you have together
    • Time spent together as a couple, for example, on holidays or at events.

    Eligibility Requirements for Children

    You can apply for the dependant visa as the child of an appropriate UK visa holder if you are under 18 years old.

    If you are between 16 and 18, you must also be dependent on your UK-based parent, which means that:

    • You are not married or in a civil partnership
    • You live with them unless you’re living away for full-time education
    • You are financially supported by your parents.

    You will need to provide any 2 of the following evidence as proof:

    • A bank statement
    • Credit card bills
    • Driving licence
    • NHS registration document
    • An official letter from their university or college.

    To apply for the dependent visa, both of your parents must either already be in the UK or be applying for entry clearance together. Otherwise, if only one parent is in the UK, your other parent must be applying for entry clearance to join them.

    You can only apply as the dependent of a sole parent if:

    • They are your only surviving parent
    • They have sole responsibility for your upbringing
    • There are serious and compelling reasons why you can apply as the dependent of only one parent.

    Financial Requirements for Dependent Visa UK 

    An important requirement for dependants is to have sufficient income to support themselves throughout their stay.

    If you’re applying as a dependant partner on a work visa, you must have £285. The requirement for dependant children is £315 for one child and £200 for each additional child.

    But, if your partner is on a study visa, you must have:

    • £845 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London
    • £680 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London

    You, your partner, or your parent must have this fund continuously for 28 consecutive days. The conclusion of the 28-day period must fall within 31 days of your visa application date.

    UK Dependant Visa Requirements

    You will be required to provide certain documents to support your visa application. These documents include:

    • Your Australian passport
    • Your UK-based family member’s Global Web Form (GWF) or a Unique Application Number (UAN).
    • Proof of your relationship to your sponsor with documents such as birth, marriage, or civil partnership certificates.
    • Proof of dependence on your sponsor, such as evidence that you’re attending school or you live at the same address.
    • A bank statement showing you meet the income requirement.

    Our immigration team is here to help you obtain a UK dependant visa. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How To Apply For The UK Dependant Visa

      To begin the UK dependant visa application process from Australia, you should take the following steps:

      Make an Online Application

      Visit the UK government site to begin an online application. Typically, a separate visa application must be made for each dependent joining a main applicant.

      Additionally, there are different application forms for work visa dependants and study visa dependants. It is important to fill out the correct application form for your circumstance.

      You will be required to provide the main applicant’s application number (GWF or UAN). You can also provide a ‘family linking code’, if you have one, to connect your application to theirs.

      Pay the Application Fee

      The next step is to pay the dependent visa application fee and immigration healthcare surcharge.

      The visa application fee ranges from £490 to ​​£1,500. The exact fee you’ll pay will depend on your family member’s type of visa. If you’re required to pay an immigration health surcharge, you must pay £1,035 annually.

      One of our immigration advisors can help you determine the specific fees that apply to your immigration situation.

      Submit Your Documents

      You’ll need to upload all supporting documents to your application in line with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirements.  You can also have them scanned at a visa centre if you don’t want to use the online service.

      Attend a Biometric Appointment

      You must book and attend an appointment at a visa application centre (VAC) to submit your biometric information (fingerprints and photographs). This will help you get your biometric residence permit when you arrive in the UK.

      The UK VACs in Australia are located in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney. You should pick a centre closest to you.

      You might have the option to verify your identity using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document. If so, you may not need to visit the VAC.

      UK Dependant Visa Processing Time

      After submitting an application and proving your identity, you should expect a decision from the Home Office within 3 weeks.

      You’ll be told at the time of applying if you’re eligible for a faster decision via the priority and super-priority services.

      Visa Validity Period And Renewal / Extending Options

      If your application is successful, your visa will be valid for the same period as the main applicant’s visa. You will need to apply for an extension at the same time your relative applies to extend their visa. You should do so online before your current visa expires.

      Speak to our legal team today. They can help with any matter. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        How Total Law Can Help You

        There are usually frequent changes to UK immigration laws, especially concerning the rules for sponsoring dependants. An incomplete understanding of these rules might affect the outcome of an application.

        That is why you need expert help. Our lawyers at Total Law are well-versed in UK immigration laws and can provide you with the right guidance.

        We will assess your situation and help you determine if you meet the requirements for an eligible dependant. Our lawyers will also help you prepare your documents and prepare a letter of representation to the Home Office on your behalf.

        If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application, we will help you resolve them.

        Get in touch with us via phone call at  +44 (0)333 305 9375. You can also reach out to us online.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  You can apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years of living in the UK, either when the main applicant is applying to settle or after they have settled.

                  However, if you are dependent on a study visa, you may not be able to apply for settlement.

                  With your dependant visa, you are eligible to work. The type of work you can take up might be limited depending on your sponsor’s visa.

                  If you intend to visit the UK as an Australian, you can do so visa-free for up to 6 months. For longer stays, you must apply for a visa.