UK Child Visa (Bring a Child From Australia To UK)

When you move to the UK for work, family, or even to study, the first question on any parent’s mind is how they can bring their children along with them. The good news is that there are many routes to take your dependants from Australia into the UK.

Of course, how you can bring dependants with you depends on the type of visa you have. Some make it easy to bring your children along with you; others have a harder journey. That’s why having friendly and knowledgeable immigration lawyers who know the ins and outs of the immigration process on your side is so important.

To get bespoke advice on bringing your child from Australia to the UK, get in touch with us directly by calling us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or by filling out the online enquiry form.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    The UK Child Visa: An Overview

    There are several child dependant visa UK routes for Australians bringing the child they have sole responsibility over with them to the UK. The route you take will depend entirely on your visa, and if one or both parents are living in the UK.

    If both parents are relocating to the UK, you’ll have a more straightforward application process. If just one parent is relocating (and the other one is still alive), you must prove that you have sole responsibility over your child.

    While there are exemptions (for example, carers cannot bring their dependants into the UK), overall, bringing your child into the UK will fall under one of three categories:

    1. At least one parent has Limited Leave to Remain (Skilled Worker visa, Health and Care Worker visa, etc).
    2. At least one parent has or is applying for a partner visa.
    3. At least one parent is a British or Irish citizen, settled, or applying for settlement in the UK.

    You must also be able to prove that you have sole parental responsibility over the child if your partner is not coming with you.

    Sole responsibility means that they usually live with you (unless they are in full-time education, like a boarding school), they are financially reliant on you, and you see and care for them most of the time.

    You may struggle to claim your child as a dependant if you are not their biological parent if your married or unmarried partner is their primary caregiver, or if they live with another family member full-time.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Get in touch with our team to get the assistance you need to bring your child/ren to the UK on a child visa. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      UK Child Visa Requirements

      Bringing a child to the UK with you as a dependant can be challenging, especially as their ability to relocate depends on your immigration status and visa. Our experts are fully aware of the latest visa requirements and can help guide you through the process step-by-step, to improve the chances of you successfully bringing your child to the UK. In general, however, these are the requirements you will need for a child visa:


      The documents you will need for a child visa include:

      • Child’s name and both parents’ names
      • The child’s date of birth
      • Valid Australian passport
      • Copies of the photo page and any entry stamps in previous passports
      • Details of any other immigration applications (if you have them)
      • Copy of Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or national insurance number (if you have them)

      You’ll also need to inform the Home Office of a few other key details:

      • Who the child usually lives with
      • Who else in your child’s life shares parental responsibilities (for example, an ex-partner or your grandparents)
      • How involved you are in your child’s daily life
      • Proof of visits to your child (if you aren’t living together)
      • A list of your child’s extended family
      • A list of the countries that your child has visited

      Financial Requirements

      You will need to prove that you can financially support your child. Currently, you and your partner (if they are with you) need to earn at least £18,600. In Spring 2024, this amount is set to increase to £29,000, and in late 2024 it’s expected to increase again to £34,500. By 2025, the income requirement will be £38,700.

      Also, keep in mind that bringing your children with you will increase the minimum income requirement:

      • £3,800 more per year for the first child
      • £2,400 more per year for every additional child

      You will also need to have savings to support your child for the first month:

      • £315 for one child
      • £200 for every additional child

      There is also the Healthcare Surcharge. This Healthcare Surcharge is currently £776 per year for those under 18 and £1035 per year for those over 18. You pay the Healthcare Surcharge.

      With some visas, like the Health and Care Worker visa, the savings and income requirements are lower.

      UK Child Visa Application Process


      The Child Visa application is done online. If you are applying for your own work visa, then you will need to apply separately, though you can “link” your applications together with a code. You will also need to go to a visa application centre in order to verify your identity and have your biometrics taken. This is for the Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which you will be able to pick up for yourself and your child after you arrive in the UK.


      The fees required depend entirely on the route that you take to bring your child from Australia to the UK. Here are just a few examples:

      Visa Type Applying Outside the UK Applying Inside the UK
      Child Dependant attached to the Student Visa £490 N/A
      UK Dependant visa attached to the Health and Care Worker Visa £284 to £551 £284 to £551
      Child Dependant visa attached to the Skilled Worker Visa £719 to £1,500 £719 to £1,500
      Family Visa (Child Visa) £1,846 £1,048

      Processing Time

      Processing times depend on whether you apply inside the UK or outside of the UK. There are also exceptions for specific visas, like the Health and Care Worker or the Skilled Worker visa.

      Inside the UK Outside the UK Special Visas
      Processing Time 8 Weeks 24 Weeks 8 Weeks

      Visa Validity Period

      Child visas in the UK are valid for either:

      • 2.5 years (Family Visa route)
      • For as long as you have limited leave to remain in the UK (for example, three years on the Skilled Worker visa)

      Renewal and Extension Options

      You can extend your child’s visa at any time before the current visa expires for up to five years, so long as you, as the parent, continue to have a valid visa or settled status. After five years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), which allows your child to live and eventually work in the UK as a full British resident.

      How Can Total Law Help?

      Here at Total Law, we know the ins and outs of the entire UK immigration process. We also keep up to date on all the changes, so you always get the latest and most relevant information.

      With so many terms and conditions when it comes to bringing a dependant to the UK, it’s normal to want all the tools you have available to you at your disposal, so get in touch with our expert team by calling us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or using our online callback form. We’ll advise you on your options based on your unique circumstances and help you bring your child along with you to the UK from Australia.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.