UK Fiance Visa for Australians

If you are an Australian citizen and want to live with your fiance in the UK in order to get married, you’ll need to apply for a UK Fiance visa. A successful visa application requires that you complete an online form and provide several supporting documents.

The process can be lengthy and complex, so if you need help, our experienced legal team at Total Law is on hand to provide you with personalised assistance. If you have any queries about family visas for Australians, or any of the other services we offer, feel free to call us on +44 (0)333 305 9375 or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the UK Fiance Visa and who is it for?

    The UK Fiance visa allows for Australian citizens to come to the UK in order to marry or enter into a civil partnership with their UK-based fiance.

    This visa grants you legal entry into the UK for 6 months. To be eligible for this visa, you must prove that you have plans to get married or enter into a civil partnership within this 6-month timeframe.

    Once you have married or become civil partners with your fiance, you’ll be eligible to apply for a UK Family visa as a Partner or Spouse, which grants you 2 years and 6 months in the UK and the possibility of applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after living in the UK for 5 years.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Reunite with your loved one in the UK easier with the help of our immigration team. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      UK Fiance Visa Requirements & Eligibility Criteria


      You and your UK-based partner must meet the following eligibility criteria in order to make a successful UK Fiance visa application:

      • You and your partner must both be over the age of 18 to meet the age requirement for the visa application.
      • Your partner needs to be a British or Irish citizen, possess indefinite leave to remain, have settled status, or show proof of permanent residency.
      • You are required to demonstrate that your relationship with your partner is genuine. This includes proving that any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended, and demonstrating your intention to live together in the UK once you are married or have become civil partners.
      • Both you and your partner must be able to prove that you can support yourselves financially whilst in the UK. You must earn a combined annual income of at least £29,000 per year in order to meet the minimum income requirement.
      • You must also have suitable accommodation in the UK that does not require any support from public funds.
      • Additionally, you need to prove your knowledge of English by passing an approved English language test at CEFR level A1 or higher, unless you’re exempt.

      Documents Required for UK Fiance Visa

      Here is a list of the documents you will be required to submit as part of your application:

      • Completed online application form.
      • Current and valid passport.
      • Evidence of your genuine relationship which may include shared bills or bank statements, letters of reference from friends or family members, and divorce certificates from previous marriages.
      • Documents proving your intention to marry or form a civil partnership, such as a booking confirmation for a marriage venue.
      • Bank statements, savings statements or wage slips, to prove that you meet the financial requirement.
      • Documents that provide details on your accommodation.
      • Certificate(s) that prove your proficiency in the English language (unless you are exempt).
      • Copies of your partner’s British passport or proof of their indefinite leave to remain.

      Application Fees for the Fiance Visa in the UK

      The application fees for the UK Fiance visa can vary depending on where you are applying from. The application fee is £1,846 if you are applying from outside of the UK, and £1,048 if you are applying from inside the UK. As this visa lasts for only 6 months, you will not be required to pay the healthcare surcharge that is common in most UK visa applications.

      Man holding fiancé in his arms

      UK Fiance Visa Application Process

      • Firstly, ensure that you and your partner meet all of the eligibility requirements for this visa category.
      • Compile all of the necessary documents for the application, including proof of your relationship, evidence of plans to marry or form a civil partnership, financial documents showing that you meet the income threshold, accommodation details, and evidence of your partner’s status in the UK.
      • You will need to prove your identity as part of your application. To do this, you’ll either need to provide biometric information at a visa application centre or use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document. You’ll also need to create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account.
      • The next step is to complete the visa application. Applications for UK Fiance visas take place online and require that you submit all of the relevant information and documentation for your visa category, as well as pay the associated application fee.
      • If your visa application is successful, you’ll receive a biometric residence permit or a digital immigration status, depending on how you applied.

      Our immigration team can help increase the chances of successfully obtain a UK fiancé visa. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Application Processing Time

        Australian citizens that apply for the UK Fiance visa can expect to receive a decision on their application within 24 weeks, although this can vary depending on the complexity and completeness of your application. It is also possible to pay a fee in order to get a faster decision using the priority or super priority service, which cost £500 and £1000 respectively.

        To ensure the fastest possible processing times, it’s advisable to consult with an immigration law firm like Total Law, who can assist you with your application and ensure that it has the best possible chance of being processed quickly.

        UK Fiance Visa Holders Rights and Restrictions

        As mentioned previously, UK Fiance Visa holders are entitled to residency within the UK for 6 months.

        Other rights and benefits of holding this visa include the ability to access private education and training, and of course the right to marry or enter into a civil partnership within the UK during the visa period.

        It is also important to mention the restrictions of this visa category. Firstly, you are not allowed access to any public funds. Secondly, you are not permitted to work in the UK.

        This restriction remains in place until you switch to the Partner or Spouse visa, which grants you the right to work in the UK without restrictions.

        Lastly, Fiance visa holders have limited access to the National Health Service (NHS), and may be required to pay for health services. This restriction becomes redundant with the Partner or Spouse visa, as full access to the NHS is granted.

        Extending / Renewing the UK Fiance Visa


        The UK Fiance visa is issued on the basis that you will be able to get married or become civil partners with your fiance within the allocated 6 months of the visa’s duration.

        For this reason, it is very hard to successfully apply for an extension or renewal of the UK Fiance visa, as the expectation is that UK Fiance visa holders will switch to a Partner or Spouse visa once they are married or in a civil partnership.

        If you are unable to marry or form a civil partnership within the initial 6-month period due to exceptional circumstances (such as delays caused by illness or the inability to book a venue), you should seek legal advice. In some cases, it may be possible to apply for a discretionary extension to allow the marriage or civil partnership to take place, but this is not guaranteed and requires a strong justification.

        Application to Switch to a Partner or Spouse Visa

        Once you are married or have formed a civil partnership, you should apply to switch your immigration status to that of a spouse or civil partner, which will grant you a further 2 years and 6 months in the UK, with the possibility for extensions. This application is made from within the UK and will allow you to stay in the UK with your partner, leading to a route to settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) after fulfilling the residency requirement, which is typically 5 years.

        In order to be eligible for the Partner or Spouse visa, you must meet the financial requirement, prove that your relationship is genuine and legally recognised in the UK, and meet the English language requirement.

        The application is made online and requires that you fill out all of the relevant forms accurately, as well as provide supporting documentation and pay the application fee and healthcare surcharge (granting you access to the National Health Service). You will also be required to provide biometric information (fingerprints and photographs) as part of your application.

        How Can Total Law Help?

        At Total Law, our expertise in immigration law uniquely equips us to guide individuals through the intricate process of applying for a UK Fiance visa as an Australian citizen.

        We provide tailored consultations to address each individual’s specific needs and concerns. Our services encompass a wide range of assistance, from clarifying eligibility criteria and assisting with document preparation, to advising on the financial aspects of the application.

        For further assistance and to discuss how we can help with your UK Fiance visa application, contact us online or give us a call on +44 (0)333 305 9375.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  Whether a Fiance visa or Spouse visa is better for you depends on your circumstances. A Fiance visa is suitable if you plan to marry in the UK within 6 months, whereas a Spouse visa is for those who are already married or in a civil partnership, and provides more benefits to living in the UK such as the right to work.

                  Yes, you can bring your children with you to the UK on a Fiancé(e) Visa as your dependents, provided you meet certain requirements. The children must be under 18 years old and not leading an independent life (for example, they should not be married or have children of their own).

                  You will need to show that you have adequate accommodation and financial means to support them during your stay in the UK. Additionally, you must include them in your visa application and provide evidence of your relationship to them, such as birth certificates.