UK Family Visa From Pakistan

The Home Office in the UK offers Family visas for people wishing to join their family member in the UK; which visa you can apply for will depend on your circumstances, the relationship you have with the person in the UK, and their immigration status.

Total Law are licensed professionals in immigration that specialise in supporting you with your visa applications and maximising your chances of receiving a positive decision on your visa. Call us today on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online, to learn how we can support you on your immigration journey.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of a Family Visa UK

    If you wish to live with your family in the UK for more than six months, you will need to apply for a Family visa. You can apply from outside the UK, or inside if you’re already in the UK on the Family visa, as long as you extend it before your current visa expires.

    There are different types of visa available depending on different criteria, for example, your relationship to the family member in the UK, whether you need full time care, or even the citizenship of your parents or grandparents. Each visa has different eligibility criteria and required documents so it is vital that you apply for the right one for your circumstances to increase your chances of receiving a successful decision on your visa.

    In many cases, you will need to prove you meet the English language requirement by providing an academic qualification or taking a test. There are some cases where you won’t need to prove your language level, for example, you’re a child, an adult dependent, over 65 years old, or from an exempt country or territory.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    UK Spouse Visa


    You can apply for a UK Spouse visa if your partner or spouse is in the UK and you intend to live together permanently. To apply for a UK Spouse visa, your partner must both be over 18 and either:

    • Be an Irish or British citizen
    • Have settled in the UK with indefinite leave to remain, settled status, or proof of permanent residence
    • Be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and have pre-settled status and started living in the UK before January 2021
    • Have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
    • Have protection status

    If your application is successful, you can remain in the UK for two years and nine months; if you are applying as a financé, you can only stay for six months. After this, you’ll have to extend your stay or switch your visa.

    Evidence for UK Spouse Visa

    To apply for a UK Spouse visa, your relationship with your partner in the UK must fulfil one of the following criteria:

    • You’re in a civil partnership or marriage recognised by the UK
    • You’ve been living together in a relationship for at least two years
    • You are engaged to marry within six months of arriving in the UK and any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended

    Regardless of your relationship to your partner, you will have to prove both of the following for your application:

    • You can financially support yourself and any dependents on your application
    • You meet the English language requirement

    You may still be able to apply for a UK Spouse visa if you don’t meet the English language requirement, nor have enough money, if:

    • Your child in the UK is an Irish or British citizen or has lived in the UK for seven years and it is unreasonable for them to leave the UK
    • You and your partner could not easily live outside the UK
    • It would breach your human rights to make you leave the UK

    A Spouse visa application can take up to 24 weeks to process, although it is possible to pay for a priority service from Pakistan that can reduce the processing time to six weeks or 30 days.

    Ancestry Visa

    Ancestry visas are available to people whose parent or grandparent was a British citizen by birth; this visa application is available if you are a Commonwealth citizen (which includes Pakistan), are planning to work in the UK, are applying from outside the UK and are older than 17 years old.

    This visa allows you to remain in the UK for five years. You will have to reapply if you want to stay in the UK after this time or apply for indefinite leave to remain to stay permanently in the UK.

    The Home Office estimates that it will take three weeks to process, though it may take longer if your case is particularly complex.

    Adult Dependent Visa

    If you are an adult over 18 years old who needs long-term care from a family member who lives permanently in the UK, you may be eligible for an Adult Dependent visa. The family member in the UK can be your child, grandchild, parent or sibling and must be a British citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.

    This can be a particularly difficult visa to be accepted for and you will need to demonstrate that:

    • You need care and help to do everyday activities, such as personal and household tasks because of a disability, illness or your age
    • You won’t receive care in Pakistan because it’s not available or affordable
    • Your family member in the UK can support, care and accommodate you for a minimum of five years without help from the UK state benefits

    If you are accepted for this visa, you will have indefinite leave to remain and don’t need to extend your visa or apply for settled status.

    The processing time for the Adult Dependent visa is approximately 12 weeks; however, as this is typically a more complex visa to process, you can expect this visa application to take longer.

    Our experienced immigration team can help with visas, permits, and more for Pakistanis wanting to move to the UK. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Child Dependent Visa

      If you are applying for a Family visa as a child of a parent in the UK, your application will depend on where you were born and if you are already in the UK. You may not need to apply for a visa if one parent has permanently settled in the UK or indefinite leave to remain.

      Children Born in the UK

      For children born in the UK, you’ll receive the same permission to stay as your parent and can either be added to your parent’s next application or apply separately. For this, you must live with your parent in the UK (excluding away for full-time education) and be unmarried.

      You can apply if you are over 18 years old, but only if your permission to stay began before you turned 18 and only if you are in the UK.

      Children Born Outside the UK

      For children born outside the UK, you can apply for a Family visa if you live full-time with your parent (excluding full-time education) and are unmarried.

      If you are under 18 years old, your parent must be applying for or extending their visa either to join your other parent in the UK or as your parent because they have sole responsibility for you.

      However, if you’re over 18, you can only apply if you have leave to remain in the UK on a Family visa that started when you were under 18.

      Apply From Outside the UK

      You can apply for a visa at the same time as your parent, but which form you fill in will depend on if your parent is applying for a UK Spouse visa or through a different Family visa.

      If you are applying separately from your parent, the form you complete will vary depending on whether your parent already in the UK has leave to remain on a 5- or 10-year route to settlement as a spouse or partner or has settled in the UK with a different visa.

      Applying for a Child Dependent visa can be particularly complex and the forms and evidence required can vary dramatically depending on birthplace, current location, and the immigration status of your parent in the UK.

      It can be especially helpful to speak to an immigration expert for advice on which visa is appropriate for you to work towards you living in the UK. Call Total Law today for bespoke advice on +44 (0)333 305 9375 or contact us online.

      EEA Family Permit and EEA Settlement Scheme Family Permits

      If you are a national from Pakistan but have a close or extended family member who is from the European Economic Area (EEA) and is living in the UK, the Home Office offers an EEA Family Permit which means you may be able to join them in the UK.

      A close or extended family member could be a sibling, parent, child, aunt or uncle, cousin, niece or nephew who is a national of the EEA. The EEA Settlement Scheme Family Permit is similar but applies only to immediate family members, that is, siblings, parents or children.

      If your application for either of these visas is accepted, you will be permitted to stay with your family for six months. These visas can take 15 days to process.

      How to Apply for a UK Family Visa

      Once you have decided which visa is most appropriate for you, you will have to prepare the documents required for your application. There are different forms to complete depending on if you are inside or outside the UK, but either way, your application can be made online through

      First, you will have to complete the application form, pay the visa fee and health surcharge fee, and provide your passport, TB test results and other documents.

      Next, you must arrange an appointment at a local visa application centre to have your fingerprints and photograph taken, this is for your biometric immigration document. You may also have to attend an interview with an immigration officer if required, so they can ask for further details about your trip to the UK.

      Finally, your application will be processed and you will receive a decision on your visa.

      For tailored assistance with moving to the UK, speak with our immigration lawyers today. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Documents Required


        When applying for a UK visa, you will need to provide many documents to prove your identity and situation and a few different documents depending on what type of visa application you are submitting.

        For all visa applications, you will need to include the following documents for you and any dependents included in your application:

        • Your name
        • Your date of birth
        • Your passport, including a copy of the photo page and any pages in your current or previous passports with visas or entry stamps
        • A copy of your biometric residence permit (if you have one)
        • Details of any previous visa applications
        • Details of any criminal convictions
        • Your national insurance number (if you have one)
        • Your parents’ date of birth and nationality (if applying from outside the UK)
        • A tuberculosis (TB) test if you have lived in Pakistan for more than six months within the last six months (or another country that requires a TB test to come to the UK)
        • Certified translations of any documents not in English or Welsh language
        • Evidence you meet the English language requirement (if required)

        UK Spouse Visa

        When proving your relationship for the UK Spouse visa, you will need official documents from within the previous four years that show your ongoing relationship, for example:

        • Your marriage or civil partnership certificate
        • A tenancy agreement, utility or council tax bill showing you live or pay bills together
        • A bank statement from your joint bank account showing you live at the same address

        You can submit other types of evidence to supplement your claim, including things like phone logs, photographs, tickets travelling together, or receipts from meals out together.

        You will also need to provide evidence of your combined income or savings to show you can pay for yourself without support from public funds. This could include bank statements, 6 months of payslips or a letter from an employer.

        Ancestry Visa

        To apply for the Ancestry visa, you must prove your relationship to the grandparents who were British citizens at birth; this must include:

        • The birth certificates for the parent or grandparent that you are basing your claim on
        • Your grandparent’s marriage certificate if they were married
        • Evidence that you plan to work in the UK, for example, a job offer or arranged job interview after you arrive in the UK

        Adult Dependent Visa

        You will need to prove that you need long-term care for an Adult Dependent visa; you will have to submit:

        • Official medical evidence from a doctor of your physical or mental condition that prevents you from caring for yourself
        • Evidence that you can’t receive care from your local health authority or doctor
        • Proof that your family member in the UK can care for you, for example, bank statements, a payslip or job contract that shows a stable income
        • Proof that your family member is British or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, such as passport, birth certificate, or immigration documents

        Child Dependent Visa

        In addition to the required documents for a UK Family visa, you will have to prove your parent’s income to show that you will be supported while you are in the UK.

        EEA Family Permit and EEA Settlement Scheme Family Permit

        When applying for either EEA visa, you will have to show your relationship to the EEA family member, for example, a birth certificate.

        You will also have to provide evidence that you have enough money to look after yourself in the UK without support from the Home Office.

        Visa Fees

        The fees for a Family visa are variable depending on where you are applying from:

        • If you are outside the UK: The cost of joining your partner, parent or child is £1,846, and the cost for each dependent added to your application is also £1,846 per person.
        • If you are inside the UK: The cost is £1,048 and the same for each dependent.

        If you are going to be caring for a relative in the UK, the cost is dependent on what permission your relative has:

        • Temporary protection status: If they have humanitarian protection as a refugee, the cost is £404 from outside the UK and £1,048 if you are already in the UK.
        • Any other permission: If they are not a refugee, it costs £3,250 if you are outside the UK, and £1,048 if you’re in the UK.

        Applicants for the Ancestry visa only have to pay £531 and the EEA Family Permit or EEA Settlement Scheme Family Permit is free of charge.

        If you cannot pay the fee, you may be eligible to apply for a fee waiver in certain situations.

        Applicants from Pakistan must also pay the Immigration Health Surcharge of £1,872.

        Extending Family Visa

        If you are already in the UK on a Family visa, you can apply to extend your visa as long as you extend it before your current visa expires. If it is to stay with the same family member, you will only be granted up to an additional 28 days.

        If you’ve been in the UK for a certain amount of time, you may be able to apply to settle in the UK; you may also be able to stay based on your private life depending on how long you’ve been in the UK.

        A family at the beach, watching the waves

        Our specialist lawyers can help compile necessary documents to align your visa application with the best possible chance of success. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          How Can Total Law Help?

          There are lots of options available for people looking to move to the UK if they already have family there; however, it can be tricky to identify which visa is most appropriate for you. Each visa also requires different forms of proof and it is essential that all documentation is provided, correctly translated and going to support your application.

          Instructing a legal representative ensures you will correctly complete your application and meet the requirements outlined by the Home Office. Total Law can provide expert advice, support you with collecting your supporting documents, and maximise your chances of a successful decision. Call us today on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    You can appeal your visa decision if you have a legal right to appeal. When you receive your decision letter, it will include information on if you can appeal and how to do it.