UK Fiance Visa For Ghanaians

The Fiance visa allows Ghanaian citizens to marry their eligible British partner in the UK with a view to permanently settle.

Total Law can help you apply for a Fiance visa and guide you through all the necessary steps to secure safe travel to the UK. Call one of our advisers on +44 (0)333 305 9375 or reach out to us online today.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a UK Fiancé Visa?

    The UK Fiance visa, also known as the Prospective Marriage visa the Proposed Civil Partner visa, or Engagement visa, is a type of family visa offered to British and Irish citizens or foreign nationals with settled status (indefinite leave to remain) in the United Kingdom.

    The UK Fiance visa is offered specifically to those who have a partner they are engaged to that lives abroad.

    You must intend to live together once you have married or entered your civil partnership.
    If you are a Ghanaian and UK citizen and are coming to the UK to live, your fiance can apply to join you and enter the UK at the same time.

    The fiance of the UK based partner will not immediately be granted permanent settled status in the UK, but will be able to apply for a long term spouse visa once married. This visa will allow the partner to apply for indefinite leave to remain after five years of living in the UK.

    The fiance visa expires within 6 months of entering the UK. Therefore, you must arrange to be legally married or in a civil partnership within that time.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Our immigration team has helped hundreds of cases secure a UK fiance visa. Let us help you too. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Am I Eligible for the UK Fiance Visa?

      The Fiance visa is available to foreign nationals whose future spouse, who they are in a genuine relationship with, who has one of the below immigration statuses:

      • Is either a British citizen or an Irish citizen
      • Foreign nationals with permanent settled status in the UK (indefinite leave to remain)
      • Foreign nationals from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein with pre-settled or EU settled status
      • Foreign nationals with a Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa
      • Those with refugee status or those with humanitarian protection living in the UK
      • Those who have been granted permission to live in the UK as they have stateless person status

      The UK-based partner or British national must:

      • Prove that they are earning at least £18,600 per year or have adequate savings to be able to look after the other partner and any other dependents (though this is increasing to £29,000 per year salary as of 11th April 2024, which will then be further increased to £34,500 later in the year and an anticipated £38,700 by early 2025)
      • Prove they have access to suitable accommodation for both people and any dependants to reside in

      You must both:

      • Be above 18 years old
      • Have met each other in person and prove your relationship is genuine – you need physical evidence that you have met face-to-face where an agreement of marriage was determined
      • Intend to legally marry or enter a civil partnership within 6 months of the arrival date of the couple or fiance
      • Intend to cohabit (live together) permanently in the UK
      • Provide evidence that any prior relationship has ended (such as a divorce certificate)
      • Provide evidence that you have enough money to support both people in the partnership whilst living in the UK without the need for public funds support
      • Be able to speak English to the required level
      • Apply for the visa from outside the UK (i.e. from Ghana)

      There may be further requirements and eligibility criteria that you must meet in order to apply for fiance visas, depending on your personal circumstances. If your situation is complicated or you are unable to provide evidence to meet the above criteria, give us a call today to receive expert advice from an immigration advisor. You can call us on +44 (0)333 305 9375 or contact us online.

      Man and woman laughing together

      Relationship Restrictions (Prohibited Degree of Relationship)

      The UK Fiance visa has certain restrictions that apply to the relationship you have with your fiance. This is called the Prohibited Degree of Relationship, clarified by the Marriage Act 1949 and the Marriage Prohibited Degrees of Relationship Act 1986. This law ensures that you and your partner are in no way related, and is defined as neither of you are:

      • Siblings, including half-siblings (i.e. have a parent in common)
      • The child or parent of one or the other
      • The grandchild or grandparent of one or the other
      • The current or former adoptive child or parent of the other
      • The auntie, uncle, nephew or niece of each other

      The following relationship to one another should qualify in the fiance visa category if both parties are 21 years old or above, and evidence can be provided that the younger person was never considered a child in any form of the other before the age of 18:

      • One is the child of former civil partner or spouse of the other
      • One is the former spouse or civil partner of the grandparent of the other

      How Much Money Do I Need for the Fiancé Visa?

      Partner visa categories usually have strict rules regarding how much the couple have saved or make per year in order to ensure they will not need to access state benefits to sustain their livelihood in the UK.

      As of March 2024, the amount that you are expected to earn as a couple is a gross minimum of £18,600 per year. If you have a dependent child, the minimum financial requirements are at least £22,400, and then £2400 per additional child after that. However, the rules for this are changing.

      Beginning on April 11 2024, the minimum income that you must earn as a couple is £29,000. According to the British government, this will increase as follows:

      • An increase to around £34,500 will be required later in 2024 (date unspecified at the time of writing)
      • An increase to around £38,700 will be required by early 2025 (date unspecified at the time of writing)

      We therefore highly recommend that you keep up to date with the latest changes to British immigration law so that you can be sure that you are financially eligible at the time of application.

      You will be required to provide financial documents and evidence to prove your combined annual income, sourced from one or more of the following avenues:

      • Salaried income from employer
      • Self-employed income
      • Pension income
      • Maternity or bereavement support (UK-based partner only)
      • Any other income or savings of either person

      There are some exemptions from needing to meet the required numbers, such as if the sponsor is receiving disability living allowance, Armed Forces Independence Payments, injury pension or disability benefit, carers’ allowance, etc.

      We can provide a hassle-free application process when applying for your UK fiance visa. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        What Documents Do I Need for the Fiance Visa?

        In order to apply for the Fiance visa, the list below details the minimum supporting documents required:

        • A valid passport or travel card
        • Recent passport photographs
        • Any previous passports or travel cards, if relevant
        • Biometric details, such as fingerprints and face images
        • A fully completed application form
        • Proof of English language skills – usually, the proposed civil partner visa requires a minimum of level A1 on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference Languages) scale
        • Proof of accommodation and that you will live together at the same address
        • Proof that your relationship is genuine – you can prove this with:
          • Shared utility bills, rental agreements or bank accounts if you have already been cohabiting
          • Reference letters from a family member, friends, or professionals
          • Written explanation of how the relationship started and how it has developed over time
          • Pictures and proof of correspondence via e.g. texts or social media channels over a period of time
          • Proof of any previous relationships ending – e.g. divorce certificate
        • Financial statements, such as bank statements or payslips, to prove you meet the financial requirement outlined on this page
        • Details of any previous visa applications you have made
        • Your criminal record, if you have one
        • Applicants from Ghana must take a tuberculosis test and test negative

        Please note that each applicant is unique and so the immigration officer may request further documents or information before or during the application process. In some cases, particularly if your situation is more complex, you may be asked to interview.

        We understand how important it is that you have a successful application process. The application requires a lot of different documents, and it can be hard to know whether your application has been fully completed so that it has the best chances of being granted.

        Total Law can provide you with professional assistance from an expert immigration lawyer through the entire application process, and can also help you understand your next steps, such as applying for the spouse visa and settling into the UK more permanently. Contact us today but calling us on +44 (0)333 305 9375 or contacting us online.

        Fiance Visa Application Process

        The UK Fiance visa application process must be completed online. You will first need to ensure you meet all of the fiance visa requirements and that you have a secure place to stay in the UK once you arrive, after being granted the visa.

        You must then prepare all your relevant documents – the more evidence you have, the easier the application should be for you.

        Once you have applied online, included all the relevant documentation, and paid the application fee, you can then expect to wait up to three months for a response.

        Please note that if there are any issues with your application, or you are required to attend an interview, this process may be delayed, therefore you must ensure that you do not make any major arrangements until your application has been accepted.

        Once you are granted your visa, you will be required to attend an appointment with the immigration office to provide your biometric details. You will need to do this at the British embassy in Ghana, located at the below address:

        British High Commission Accra
        Gamel Abdul Nasser Avenue

        How Much Does the UK Fiance Visa Cost?

        As of March 2024, the cost of the UK Fiance visa application is £1,523.

        This figure does not include any other additional charges, such as that of retrieving documents, printing documents, any legal advice you obtain during the process, or travel costs associated with the application process.

        How Do I Switch from a Fiance Visa to Spouse Visa?

        Once you have entered the UK, you have up to six months to have your legal wedding or civil partnership ceremony. Once legally partnered, you are then eligible to apply for the UK Spouse visa.

        The Spouse visa is usually valid for 2 years and 9 months. After this, you can choose to extend the visa for a further 2 years and 6 months, which will then make you eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain, which would give the Ghanaian partner permanent settled status in the UK.

        The fee for switching to the spouse visa or visa for civil partners is £1,033. The visa must be applied for within the UK.

        How Can Total Law Help?

        Getting married or entering into a civil partnership with your partner is an exciting and momentous occasion. Many couples look forward to starting their partnership in the UK, which offers a high quality of life, a great education system for potential future children, and excellent job and career opportunities.

        As a pivotal moment in your relationship, and not to mention the high costs attached to getting married and entering a civil union, we understand just how important it is to make sure the process goes smoothly, and that neither partner struggles with immigration issues as a result. If you have exceptional circumstances, we strongly advise that you reach out to legal professionals for further information and support.

        That’s why Total Law is here. We have a team of expert immigration lawyers who can guide and support you through the entire application process from Ghana, and advise you on your next steps once you have entered your legal partnership.

        Contact us online today or call us on +44 (0)333 305 9375.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  The Fiance Visa is a short-term visa only and does not allow you to stay in the UK on a permanent basis. The visa is valid for 6 months, and the UK immigration rules for this visa require you to legally marry or become civil partners inside the UK during that period.

                  Fiance visas by nature are short-term visas and are only valid for 6 months. The immigration rules of the fiancé visa dictate that you get legally married or enter into a civil partnership within the six month validity period. Once you have become legally tied to your partner, you can then apply for a spouse visa or other partner visa categories.

                  You must do this before the validity period expires on your fiance visa. Therefore, assuming you become legal partners during the initial six month period, there will be no need to extend or renew the fiance visa.

                  However, if for whatever reason you were unable to meet these requirements due to unforeseen circumstances, you may be able to extend the fiance visa so long as you can provide detailed information regarding a valid reason for doing so.