Total Law
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Applying for a K1 visa from Vietnam

If you are looking to live in the US with your Vietnamese fiancé then you will need to look at the K1 visa route to allow your partner to come to the US.

Working with a specialist immigration lawyer can help maximize your chances of a successful application. Call Total Law on +1 844 290 6312 for a confidential discussion about how we can help you and your loved ones settle in the United States.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the K1 Visa?

    The K1 visa is the route for US citizens who are looking to marry their Vietnam-born partner in the United States.

    This non-immigrant visa allows your Vietnamese citizen fiancé to come to the US to get married – although immigration law means you must arrange your wedding within 90 days of your partner entering the company.

    Once you are married, your new spouse can apply to adjust their status and apply for a marriage green card (CR1 visa) without having to return to Vietnam.

    Under the K1 visa, it is possible for dependents to travel to the US and subsequently adjust their status following the marriage and your partner’s change in status.

    It may be advisable to seek advice from an immigration attorney before completing the application to avoid unnecessary visa processing delays or costs.

    How do I apply for a K 1 Visa for my Vietnamese fiancé?

    The first step to bring your future spouse to the US to get wed is to agree to sponsor and file an official I-129F petition completed form with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form can be downloaded from the USCIS website. You can only sponsor your fiancé if you are have full US citizenship.

    If this petition is approved then it will be passed to the National Visa Centre (NCV) and your partner will be asked to submit an application for a K1 visa and then given an appointment date to attend a face-face interview at their local US Embassy or Consulate.

    If your partner has dependents that they would also like to travel to the United States with them, then they will need to ensure they include them on the application.

    Eligibility for the K1 visa

    In order to be granted the K1 visa you must meet the following requirements and all supporting documents must be in English or a certified English translation format.

    You must be a US citizen. Green card holders are not able to sponsor their Vietnamese partners for a K1 visa. However, there is an alternative route available as they can marry overseas and then file for a F2A visa. You must submit required documents to prove this.

    You must marry within 90 days of your foreign fiancé coming to the US. Immigration services will want to see evidence that your planned marriage is genuine as well as details of the upcoming wedding.

    You must be legally free to marry in the United States. This means that both of you are single and are not currently married to another person. If either of you have been previously married, then you need to provide evidence that they are no longer married. This could be proof of divorce from their previous spouse with a divorce decree or a death certificate if widowed.

    You must have met your foreign citizen fiancé(e) in person at least once within the last two years. These meetings must have occurred within two years of making a K1 visa petition. It is possible to apply for a waiver of this nonimmigrant visa requirement if you can prove that meeting in person would violate the cultural traditions and customs of your partner’s country or if the meeting would create extreme hardship for either party.

    You can prove that you meet the necessary income requirements. If you are sponsoring your Vietnam partner, you must demonstrate that you have the financial ability to support both you and your future spouse while living in the US. You will need to prove that you have the required current income as suggested by the Citizenship and Immigration Services.


    Income criteria for a K1 Visa application

    The K1 does not require visa applicants to met specific income requirements must they must ensure they file a DS-5540 (Public Charge Questionnaire) to prove that they will not become a public charge during their time in the country.

    However, the sponsoring US citizen must be at or above 100 per cent of the Federal Poverty Level. This amount does vary depending on states and other factors that can be explained by contacting the USCIS office.

    Completing the Form I-129F

    As part of the K1 visa application your Vietnam partner will need to complete a Form I-29F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)). Alongside the form, they are required to provide supporting documents to the immigration authorities including:

    • Proof of the citizenship of the US sponsor – such as original birth certificates, official adoption decree
    • Copy of the passport of the US citizen or naturalization certificate
    • Evidence that shows the relationship is genuine – this can include phone bills, photographs, witness statements from friends etc
    • Proof that you have met in person at least once within the past 2 years – the immigration services will ask for supporting documents such as hotel bookings, flight records etc
    • A statement from you and your partner detailing your relationship and your plans to get married
    • Two passport-sized color photos of each partner – this must not be taken more than 30 days before applying for the visa
    • Divorce or death certificate of any previous spouses

    The form and supporting documents will be reviewed and if approved the application will be passed to the National Visa Center who will then forward it on to the local US Embassy or Consulate. In Vietnam the US Embassy is in Hanoi and the US Consulate is in Ho Chi Minh City.

    Visa interview in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City

    Your fiancé will then need to complete a DS-160 form and then will then receive a visa interview appointment letter with an interview date and time.

    The DS-160 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application) Form can be completed online and allows for temporary travel to the US. Your partner will need to take confirmation of completing this form to their visa interview.

    Part of the aim of the consular interview is to establish if your relationship is genuine and your fiancé will be asked questions about their marriage plans and background. After the visa interview in Hanoi or Ho Chin Minh City and if the consular officer accepts the answers given by the visa applicant then a K1 visa will be approved.

    How long does it take to get a K1 visa?

    It can take between 5 to 7 months for the administrative processing of your Vietnamese partner’s K1 visa application. This time can vary due to consular processing times or if you fail to complete the form correctly, don’t include the required documents or do not submit translations of Vietnamese documents. In many cases, seeking advice from an immigration law firm may help to avoid unnecessary delays to visa applicants.

    How much does a K 1 visa cost?

    There are a number of costs associated with a K1 visa application. These include a visa application processing fee as well as potentially medical examination fees. K1 visa applicants will be asked to pay:

    • A K1 visa fiancé(e) petition (Form I-129F) visa application fee of $535
    • A consulate visa fee for non-immigrant visa application processing of $265

    Once married if you plan to live together in the US then your partner from Vietnam will need to apply for an adjustment of status for the ma

    Does a K1 visa allow your Vietnam partner to work?

    If you fiancé(e) wishes to work during their 90 day stay in the US they must be approved for work authorization and file a Form I-765. If granted, the authorization will only cover the 90 days associated with their K1 visa application.

    Once you are married, your new spouse can apply to change from a K1 visa to a marriage green card and then reapply for work authorization that will allow them to work for up to one year.

    Is it possible to extend a K1 visa?

    When approved, the K1 visa has a 90 day limit to allow you to get married in the US. However, if you decide not to get married then your partner must return to Vietnam before the end of the 90 days – if they overstay the visa restrictions it could mean they will be automatically refused from applying for future visas in the US.

    If there is a valid reason for delaying your marriage, then you can apply for an adjustment of status. To do this, you will need to submit Form I-130 and an adjustment of status form. There is an additional visa fee and your partner may need to have another medical examination and visa interview.

    What happens after marrying your Vietnamese partner?

    Once married, you and your new spouse can apply for permanent residence in the US. To do this you will need to apply for adjustment of status from a K1 visa to a CR1 visa (often referred to as the Marriage Green Card).

    Once granted the green card will allow your wife or husband to live freely in the US and work or study without restrictions. Your partner does not need to return to Vietnam while they apply for the CR1 visa.

    You will need to submit a range of documents to apply for the marriage green card such as a valid marriage certificate etc. The Conditional Residence visa is valid for two years and can then be converted to a IR1 visa which has a time limit of 10 years.

    After 3 years of living continuously in the US under a marriage green card, your wife or husband will become eligible to apply for naturalization to become a US citizen.

    Mr And Mrs sign

    We're here to help if you have any questions about bringing your partner to the US Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How Can Total Law Help?

      All of our lawyers are fully accredited with the appropriate legal bodies and you may be confident that the information we provide is fully accurate.

      No matter how complex your case is, we can provide a tailored plan to help you achieve your goals. We work tirelessly on your behalf, attempting all legal options to assist you in immigrating to the U.S. with your loved ones and do our best to ensure that your petition is approved.

      We recognize that immigration and visa applications are major decisions in a person’s life and that they can impact many lives.

      That is why we provide the highest care and attention to all of our clients and ensure that they are given all their legal options so that they may make an informed decision about their future and the future of their families.

      Your dedicated immigration lawyer will work with you throughout the entire process, communicating with you regularly to answer your questions and advise on the next steps.

      At the beginning of the process, you can expect us to give you clear and accurate information about how much the process will cost and an anticipated timeline.

      If you have any questions at any stage, our friendly and professional client care teams can work directly with you so that you feel confident in the process.

      Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for a confidential discussion about how we can assist you with your immigration case. We look forward to assisting you over the phone or by online call.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      Talk to one of our lawyers today for more information about US partner visas Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package