Total Law
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm


US Family Visas for Turkish Citizens

Turkish nationals who would like to move from Turkey to the US to join their family members permanently may be eligible to apply for a US Family Visa.

Call Total Law today at +1 844 290 6312 for assistance with your US Family Visa application or request a call back from our immigration experts.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of the US Family Visas for Turkish Citizens

    If you would like to join family members who have become lawful permanent residents in the US, you might be eligible for a US Family Visa, which includes both categories: the non-immigrant and the immigrant Family Visas.

    To be able to apply, you must have a qualifiable family relationship for family-based immigrant visas. US immigrant visas are categorized into immediate relatives of a US citizen and family preference.

    Immediate relatives are generally classed as a spouse, parent, or unmarried children who are aged below the age of 21 years old. However, other family members that could be eligible for family preference immigrant visas include siblings, married sons and daughters of a US citizen, unmarried sons and daughters of any lawful permanent residents, siblings, unmarried daughters or sons of a US citizen, and spouses of permanent residents.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What Non-Immigrant Family Visas Are Available for Turkish Citizens?

    A non-immigrant visa means you can visit the US for specific purposes such as work, education, medical and business. These visas are generally offered for a restricted period of time, and a departure date is determined when you receive your visa.

    With a non-immigrant visa, you are only allowed to stay lawfully in the US temporarily.

    If you have an immediate relative who is a lawful permanent US citizen or a US resident, you are able to make an application for a non-immigrant visa. The non-immigrant family visas that a Turkish citizen can apply for:

    • K1 Visa – if you want to join your fiancé in the US
    • K2 Visa – if you are a child of K1 Visa holder
    • K3 Visa – if you are a spouse who lives abroad away from their partner
    • K4 Visa – if you are a dependent of a K3 Visa holder

    After you are granted a non-immigrant visa, you can make an application to extend your stay in the US, but you should do so before your permit expiration date.

    What is a Green Card for Family-Preference Immigrants?

    Generally, the immigrant visa route allows you as a Turkish citizen to live in the US permanently and is also part of the process of obtaining a Green Card. Compared to non-immigrant visa routes, they are usually more challenging to obtain and generally take a much longer time.

    If you already have a family member in the US who is a lawful permanent resident (a Green Card holder) or a US citizen, you can begin an application for an immigrant visa.

    However, first, the immediate relative has to petition the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for you to join them from Turkey to the US.

    Depending on the family relationship, they can apply for either a Family-based Immigrant Visa or a Green Card.

    If you are a relative with a distant family relationship of a lawful permanent resident in the US, but would want to move to the US, you can apply for family preference Green Cards such as:

    • F1 (Family First Preference) – if you are an unmarried daughter or son of a US citizen
    • F2A (Family Second Preference) – if you are an unmarried child, or the spouse of a permanent US Green Cardholder. If you are a dependent aged 21 and above, you can make an application for a Second Preference Visa (F2B)
    • F3 (Family Third Preference) – if you are a married child of a US citizen
    • F4 (Family Fourth Preference) – if you are a sibling of a US citizen aged 21 and above

    What are the Requirements for Each Route of Family Visas?

    For the Non-Immigrant Family Visas for Turkish citizens, there are different requirements than for those of the Family-Preference Immigrant Visas.

    Non-Immigrant Family Visa Requirements

    K-1 Visa Requirements

    To be able to join your fiancé in the US you need to meet the following:

    • Your fiancé is a US citizen
    • Intend to marry up to 90 days into your admission into the US
    • Be both legally free to marry in the US and previous marriages have been terminated
    • Met your fiancé at least once within the last two years
    • Have the financial means to support yourself in the US

    K-2/K-4 Visa Requirements

    To be able to move to the US as the dependant of the K-1/K-3 Visa holder you must:

    • Be under the age of 21 and unmarried
    • The parent of the holder needs to be a K-1 fiancé Visa holder or K-3 Visa holder
    • Ensure the US citizen sponsoring you can support you financially
    • Have a clean criminal record
    • Undergo a medical check by an approved medical practitioner

    K-3 Visa Requirements

    To be able to join your spouse in the US you need to be married to a US citizen.

    Green Card Family-Preference Visa Requirements

    To apply for any of the Green Card Family Preference Visas, you must follow the requirements if you are already in the US:

    • You are physically in the US at the time you file your Form I-485
    • The relationship with family members in the US exists
    • The US citizen must have a valid address and their status must be verified

    Our expert lawyers can guide you through the process of obtaining a US family visas. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How to Apply for Each Visa Route

      To be able to apply as a Turkish citizen for either a Non-immigrant Family Visa or a Green Card Family Preference Visa, there are different forms that need to be filed before moving on to the general application.

      Non-Immigrant Family Visa for Turkish Citizens

      Step 1

      The petition from the US citizen needs to be approved. This is the I-129f form which must be submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

      At the same time, you must also submit all the required documents:

      • A valid passport
      • Copy of your valid birth certificate. This should be translated into English.
      • Two recent passport-size photos
      • Evidence of ability to support themselves financially (bank statements) and form I-134, Declaration of Financial Support
      • Any police certificates from the applicant’s current country of residence. These should, again, be translated into English.
      • Medical examination statement from one of the accredited physicians
      • Proof of the relationship between the applicant and the US citizen

      Step 2

      If the petition is approved, the case moves to the National Visa Center (NVC). You must then pay all necessary fees for the application.

      The cost of filing the I-129f form $535 and there is usually an additional embassy fee of $265. Be prepared for additional costs for other services such as the medical exam or biometrics, if required.

      Step 3

      The next step of the application process is the visa interview, where you will be questioned about the individual circumstances of your application. They will then determine if you should be approved for the visa.

      The processing time for the Non-Immigrant Family Visas is currently between 9 and 12 months, but this can take longer if the NVC requires additional information.

      Green Card Family-Preference Visa for Turkish Citizens

      Step 1

      A petition from a US citizen is required. This is the form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

      You also need to submit all the required documents listed above so that your identity can be approved.

      You must then file an additional form, I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, while the form I-130 is pending or after it has been approved.

      Step 2

      If your petitions are successful, your case will move to the NVC. You have to then pay the application fees. The filing fee for form I-130 is $535 and $1140 for form I-485.

      You should also be aware of additional costs, such as for a medical exam and biometrics.

      Step 3

      You will need to attend the interview to go through your personal situation once your application at the NVC has been processed. Your visa will then either be approved or denied.

      The processing times for the Green Card Family-Preference Visas can be long. The current wait time is 12 months or more. It can even take years for this visa to be approved.

      It is important that you submit all the required documents and apply for the right visa in order to avoid delays to your application. Contact Total Law today at +1 844 290 6312 for further assistance with your personal situation.

      Are there Additional Application Costs?

      There are some common additional costs that you may want to consider when applying for your visa. These might include:

      • Travel costs and flight tickets
      • Medical examination
      • Legal assistance
      • Miscellaneous costs such as translating documents or photocopying

      What if my Visa Application is Denied?

      If your visa application was rejected because of error with your petition or filing fees, the best thing to do may be to refile the petitions and documents with the help of an immigration lawyer.

      However, if your petition was denied due to your ineligibility for the chosen visa, it may require additional steps.

      In most cases, you might be able to file a legal motion to have your case reviewed a second time. You might be able to file either of the following:

      Motion to Reopen – when new documentation or evidence has appeared that may change the outcome of the visa application status

      Motion to Reconsider – when you and your immigration lawyer think the evaluating officer was incorrect in their decision and you can prove this through an appropriate legal argument

      Due to their legal emphasis, these routes should be taken without having an immigration lawyer.

      Depending on your own situation, you may also be able to file an appeal to a third party, such as the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), which is a part of the USCIS.

      The AAO does not readily overturn the decisions of USCIS officers, so the argument for the appeal needs to be particularly strong and put together by a qualified immigration lawyer.

      Make the application process easier with the help of our immigration team. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        How Can Total Law Help?

        You can save time and money by contacting our specialised immigration lawyers. Understanding the US immigration rules and laws can be difficult, and might result in delays or even a denial of your visa application. Total Law has excellent immigration lawyers who can ensure your visa application contains everything it needs to maximise the chances of a successful application.

        Our team at Total Law understands the importance of the application and that it might be essential to your move from Turkey to the US. We will work with you to make each step of the process easier for you and your family.

        You can contact us seven days a week, either on the phone at +1 844 290 6312 or by requesting a call back on our website.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.


                  If you have a K2 Visa, you are granted permission to take up legal employment in the United States. You must, however, first obtain an employment authorization document (E.A.D.) – a work permit. To do this, you must file form I-765 with USCIS.

                  During your interview with an immigration official, questions will focus on the validity and authenticity of your relationship with the US citizen. It is your job to convince them that your relationship is genuine through evidence in your application, but also in your answer to questions in the interview.