Total Law
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm


F2 Visa for Ghanaian citizens

You must apply for an F2 Visa if you have an F1 Visa and want to travel from Ghana to the United States with your dependent spouse or child.

The application process for an F2 Visa can often be stressful, especially if your application gets rejected. Our immigration lawyers at Total Law have the expertise to give you expert advice and guidance on your application. Call us at +1 844 290 6312 for urgent assistance with your case or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the F2 Dependent Visa?

    An F2 Dependent Visa is a nonimmigrant visa available to the spouse or unmarried children (under 21) of an F1 Visa holder.

    F2 Visa holders must be directly dependent on the F1 Visa holder to be eligible for the visa.  Therefore, they cannot enter the US without the F1 holder and the length of stay is limited to that of the F1 Visa holder.

    In most cases, the  F1 and F2 Visa are applied for at the same time but it is possible for a F2 application to be made later with the dependent joining their family member at a later date in the US.

    F2 Visa holders may attend an elementary or high school full-time but are not permitted to graduate school or to work in the country without a permit but they are permitted to attend non-academic classes or volunteer.

    The visa, which can serve as a non immigrant temporary permit and as a stepping stone to permanent residency, allows dependent spouses of Ghanaian citizens to reside in the United States alongside the F1 Visa holder. There are some limitations, however, as you will not be able to pursue full-time work.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What Documents Are Needed for a F2 Visa for Ghanaian Citizens

    When applying for a F2 Visa you will be required to provide a range of documents to support the application. All documents must be translated into English and you should ensure that you submit all required paperwork to avoid delays or even refusal.

    • A valid passport with at least one blank page and must not expire until at least six months after the date of travel.
    • Two recent passport  photographs
    • Confirmation page for form FD-160
    • Financial documents to demonstrate that you have the resources necessary to support yourself. Bank statements, tax records, or payslips are the required documents that may be used to show this. You will need to show funding of at least $6.701 for each child and at least $13,403 for a spouse.
    • Proof of visa fee payments
    • F2 dependent SEVIS Form I-20
    • Marriage or birth certificate if applicable

    How to apply for an F2 Visa from Ghana

    The first step is for the F1 Visa to receive a form I-20 from the institution they will attend. This document will provide details of the cost and length of the course.

    F1 students who intend to bring dependents must notify the institution in advance and provide details. Based on the information provided to the approved school, the institution will issue I-20s for the dependents.

    To apply for the F2 Visa you must complete the DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa application. All necessary documents and data must be entered into the form online. You will be provided with a barcode once you have submitted the form and paid the required fees.

    You must then arrange a visa interview with the local US Embassy or Consulate in Ghana. Dependents under the age of 14 are not required to attend a F2 Visa interview.

    Your eligibility for the visa will be determined using all of the required documents and data that you supplied during your interview and application.

    Attending a F2 Visa Interview.

    You must bring all required documents to the interview and be prepared to answer questions about your relationship with the F1 Visa holder and your plans during your stay in the US.

    It is important to answer all questions honestly and correctly as the consular officer’s decision on whether to accept or reject your application will be influenced by your overall performance. If your visa application is granted, you can begin making travel arrangements to join or accompany your F1 partner or parent in the US..

    Some of the common F2 Visa interview questions that you may be asked are:

    • Are there any friends or family of yours that currently live in the US?
    • Why do you want to leave your home country and move to the US?
    • How long have you been married to your present spouse?
    • Have you visited the US before?
    • We’d like to learn more about you, so please introduce yourself.
    • With whom will you be visiting the United States?
    • Who will support you financially while in the US?
    • What are your plans for your free time?

    F2 Visa Processing Time and Costs

    The cost of an F2 Visa application is $160 but there may be additional fees such as visa issuance costs.

    The processing time of F2 Visa applications often varies, depending on the volume of applications received by the US Embassy in Ghana.

    In many cases, once the interview has taken place the application can be processed in a matter of weeks. However, the demand for embassy or consulate appointments could increase the total processing time for the F2 Visa to months.

    It is important to ensure that you have provided the right supporting documents and completed the application correctly otherwise you could experience further delays.

    Total Law can help provide support when making a F2 Visa application and ensure you have provided the right paperwork to avoid hold ups or possible rejection.

    If you have any queries regarding obtaining a f2 visa for Ghanaian citizens. Please contact us so that we can assist you. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How Can Total Law Help?

      Applying for a US Visa can often be a stressful and daunting process. Visa issues can be complicated to address, which is why we recommend contacting an immigration lawyer.

      We are available to assist you if you have any further questions or would like to learn more about immigration law and your options for submitting an F2 Visa application.

      As expert specialists in the industry, our immigration lawyers can provide you with a wide range of services, whether it’s customised packages or just general advice. To find out more about how we can assist you with your application, contact us here.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.


                You will need to attend a full-time academic programme at a school that gives you a Form I-20 to alter your student status from an F2 dependent to an F1 international student while you are still in the country.

                Additionally, at the time of your request for this adjustment, your F1 spouse will still need to be in the country with an F-1 visa.

                Please note that, if you are leaving the country, you can alter your F2 status upon returning if you bring your Form I-20 and supporting paperwork with you and apply for an F1 visa at a US Consulate. Afterwards, you can enter the country as an F-1 student.

                There is a 60-day grace period after the expiration date of the F1 Visa holder’s program ends. The F2 dependents must also depart the US once the F1 Visa holder has left the country.

                While the time it takes to change your Visa status from F1 to F2 can vary, it is generally advised to give your application at least 3 to 4 months to proceed.