Total Law
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

UK Visas for Spaniards

If you are a Spanish citizen intending to migrate to the United Kingdom, you must apply for a visa. There are different types of UK visas, and the one you should obtain depends on your circumstances.

For more information on UK visas, including eligibility requirements and how to apply, speak with a Total Law immigration lawyer. Call us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or request a callback through the online contact form.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    UK Visa for Spanish Citizens

    As a Spanish citizen, you can visit the UK for up to 6 months without a visa as long as you meet the entry requirements for the Standard Visitor Visa. However, if you intend to stay longer than 6 months, you must apply for a visa before entering the UK.

    The UK has different immigration routes that allow foreign nationals to travel to the country to study, work, or reunite with their family members. The appropriate visa you should apply for will depend on the purpose of your visit.

    It’s important to note that each immigration route has specific eligibility requirements that you must fulfil for the Home Office to grant you a visa. You should understand these requirements before submitting an application to ensure a successful outcome.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Moving to the UK for Work

    If you intend to move from Spain to the UK to work, there are different long-term and temporary work visas you can apply for.

    The UK Long-Term Work Visas for Spaniards

    The long-term visas will allow you to live and work in the UK for over 2 years. They are renewable as long as you continue to meet the visa requirements. Additionally, any time you spend on a long-term visa will count towards your residency requirement for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

    The UK’s most common long-term work visa is the Skilled Worker Visa. It is a point-based visa that requires you to score 70 points based on the skill level of the job you intend to take up, your English language proficiency, the job’s salary, and other factors before you can apply.

    Other common UK work visas that allow you to stay for a long-term period include:

    • International Sportsperson Visa: This visa is designed for internationally recognised sportspeople or coaches who intend to enter the UK to take up a job in their field.
    • Minister of Religion Visa: If you’ve been offered a job in a faith-based community in the UK, you can apply for this visa.
    • Global Talent Visa: If you’ve been endorsed as a leader or potential leader in academia, arts and culture, or digital technology, you can apply for this visa.
    • Scale-Up Visa: This visa will allow you to take up an eligible job for a scale-up or fast-growing UK organisation approved by the Home Office.
    • Global Business Mobility visas: These are a group of visas that will allow you to expand your overseas business operations in the UK.

    Temporary Visas for Spaniards

    UK temporary visas allow you to live in the UK for limited periods, between 3 and 24 months, depending on your visa type.

    Some of the common UK temporary visas include:

    • Charity Worker Visa
    • Seasonal Worker Visa
    • Religious Worker visa
    • Creative Worker Visa

    Moving to the UK to Study

    You can move to the UK to study in a recognised academic institution if you are at least 16 years old and you meet the following requirements:

    • A licensed student sponsor or education provider has admitted you to study a course
    • You must have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from the education provider
    • You must be studying a course at an approved qualification level
    • You have enough money to pay for your course and support yourself throughout your stay
    • You can understand, speak, read, and write English
    • You have approval from your parents if you’re 16 or 17 years old

    The UK Student Visa follows the points-based immigration system, and you’ll need to acquire 70 points to be eligible. Nevertheless, once you’ve met the eligibility requirements for the visa, you should be able to attain 70 points.

    Overhead view buildings in Madrid, Spain

    Our lawyers can provide tailored guidance to optimise your visa application. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Moving to the UK for Family Reunification

      If you have a family member in the UK, you can apply for a family visa to join them. Your family member must be a British or Irish citizen, have settled status, or be registered on the EU settlement scheme.

      The type of visa you require will depend on your relationship with your UK-based family member. These family visas include:

      • Spouse or Partner Visa: This is for married or civil partners of British citizens or settled persons who have been in a genuine relationship for at least 2 years
      • Fiance Visa: This visa allows you to live in the UK for 6 months to marry or enter a civil partnership with your UK-based Fiancée or proposed partner. Afterwards, you can switch to the Partner Visa
      • Child Visa: Dependent children under 18 can apply for a Child Visa to reunite with their parent(s) in the UK
      • Parent Visa: This visa allows parents to migrate to the UK to care for their dependent child
      • Adult Dependent Visa: Adult relatives of a British national, including a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son, or daughter, can apply for this visa and enter the UK to receive care from their UK-based family member

      If your family member resides in the UK on a study or work visa, you cannot apply for the family visa, but you may be eligible to apply for a dependent visa. Speak to our immigration lawyers at +44 (0)333 305 9375 to discuss how you can migrate to join a family member in the UK.

      Getting a UK Visa from Spain

      The UK visa applications are online on the UK government website. Once you’ve determined the visa you need and are sure you meet the requirements, you can begin your online application.

      You will need to create an account with your email address and complete the appropriate application form. Afterwards, you must submit a copy of your Spanish passport and other supporting documents. The specific documents you need will depend on the type of visa you’re applying for.

      For instance, if you’re applying for a Spouse Visa, you must provide evidence of a genuine relationship and that you meet the financial requirements for spouses. Likewise, you need to provide proof of a genuine job offer when applying for most work visas, among other requirements.

      If your documents are in Spanish, you must translate them to English or Welsh using an approved translator. Ensure to include the original documents and their translated copies in your application.

      You’ll then need to pay the visa application fee and, if required, an immigration health care surcharge. After submitting your application, you should book an appointment at a UK visa application centre in either Barcelona or Madrid for a later date.

      The visa appointment is typically the last step in the application process. At your appointment, you should submit your biometric information (fingerprints and photographs) and supporting documents. Afterwards, the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will review your application and contact you with a decision.

      How Can Total Law Help?

      Our lawyers at Total are experts in UK immigration laws and have helped several clients migrate to the UK from other countries.

      We will provide bespoke guidance for your immigration situation, help you gather your supporting documents, and complete your application form. Our lawyers will prepare a letter of representation to the Home Office to present a compelling case on your behalf.

      To get started with your UK visa application, call us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or message us online today.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                The processing time for visa applications will depend on the visa type you applied for. Study and work visas typically take around 3 weeks, while family visas take 24 weeks to process.

                You may be able to use the priority service to expedite your visa processing at an additional fee. This service is limited, and you’ll be told if it’s available when making your online application.