Total Law
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

UK Student Visa UAE

If you plan to come to study in the UK from the United Arab Emirates, you may require a UK Student Visa.

Get in touch with Total Law for more information about how to apply for a Student Visa and the Student Visa UK requirements. You can reach our team at 0333 305 9375 or via our online chat.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Introduction to Student Visas in the UK

    The UK is attractive for overseas nationals as it offers a range of world-leading study courses. Becoming a student in the UK could help boost career opportunities and long-term employment prospects.

    However, several requirements must be met when applicants before the UK Home Office will issue a Student Visa. In particular, potential visa holders must demonstrate they have adequate financial resources to support themselves in the country and will be studying at an approved institution.

    Most Student Visas are issued for the length of the course of study plus an additional week, but a Student Visa holder can switch to another UK visa after finishing their studies if they meet the requirements.

    For more information on the range of visas available once you graduate, get in touch with our immigration experts today.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Types of UK Student Visas

    The UK immigration service offers different types of Student Visas depending on your situation. Each has different criteria and requires a range of supporting documentation to be submitted with the UK Student Visa application form.

    You should choose which of the following best suits your circumstances and covers your plans to study in the UK:

    • Short-term Student Visa
    • Child Student Visa
    • Standard Student Visa for long-term study

    Short-term Study Visa

    A Short-term Study Visa is a route for students from the UAE who want to come to the UK to study an English language course that lasts more than six months but less than 11. In addition, the course must not include any other subject.

    Successful applicants must meet the following criteria:

    • Be aged 16 or older
    • Have been offered a place on a qualifying English language course
    • An accredited independent institution must offer the course
    • Demonstrate they have sufficient financial resources to pay all course fees and will be able to support themselves during their time in the UK.
    • For applicants less than 18, they must
      • Have a letter of consent from their parents or guardians
      • Provide proof of their travel and accommodation in the UK.

    Short-term visa holders cannot bring any dependents, including partners or children, to the UK. The visa also does not allow any employment or business-related activities.

    Child Student Visa

    UAE nationals between 4 and 17 years of age require a Child Student Visa to study in the UK.

    For those under 16, the visa will cover courses of up to six years in length. For those over 16, the UK-based course must not be longer than three years in total.

    To be issued with a Child Student Visa, applicants must:

    • Have an offer from an approved independent educational institution
    • Show they can cover all course fees and will be financially supported throughout their study
    • Provide evidence of a letter of consent to study in the UK from a parent or guardian

    A parent can accompany their child to the UK on a Parent of Child Student Visa. This must be applied for before travelling to the UK from the UAE.

    Student Visa

    The Student Visa is a popular route for those wanting to study for a further education or higher education qualification.

    Applicants must meet the following to be issued with a Student Visa:

    • Be over 16 years of age
    • Been accepted on a course by an approved institution with a Student Sponsor Licence
    • Able to demonstrate they can pay the required course fees and will be able to support themselves throughout their time in the UK
    • Must be proficient in speaking, writing, and reading English. This must be up to CEFR level B2 for degree level courses and above and CEFR level B1 for courses below degree level.
    • Have parental consent to study in the UK if you are aged 16 or 17.

    A qualifying approved course for a long-term Student Visa must be one of the following:

    • Full-time course leading to a qualification below degree level (RQF 3 – 5) with up to 15 hours of daytime study per week.
    • Full-time course with a degree level qualification or above (RQF 6 – 8).
    • Full-time course at degree level or above, equal to a UK higher education course being offered as part of a longer course abroad.
    • Part-time course with a qualification above degree level.
    • English language course at CERF B2 level or above.
    • Approved foundation programme for postgraduate dentists and doctors.

    In some cases, applicants may need to also apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate if the course involves researching or studying sensitive topics above degree level.

    Most UAE students cannot bring their dependants to the UK unless they are a government-sponsored student taking a course lasting longer than six months or on a postgraduate course with a research element lasting over nine months.

    Planning to study in the UK? Our team can assist you in obtaining a Student Visa specifically designed for UAE nationals. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      UK Student Visa Fees

      A key part of the Student Visa UK requirements is demonstrating you have the right financial resources to pay for your course and support yourself in the UK.

      All applicants must provide evidence they have access to:

      • Funds to pay for at least the first year of your course. The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) states the amount.
      • £1,334 per month (for at least nine months) for courses in London.
      • For courses outside of London, £1,023 per month (for at least nine months).
      • For doctorate courses in London, £2,668 per month (for at least nine months).
      • For doctorate courses outside London, £2,046 per month (for at least nine months).

      UAE applicants must submit bank statements showing access to funds with the required money for their course fee, and maintenance must remain in their account for 28 consecutive days.

      Student Visa Process

      To begin the application process for the Student Visa, you should first receive an offer to study with a UK student sponsor.

      When the institution offers you a place, they will issue you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). It is valid for six months, and you must apply for a UK visa within that time.

      The CAS will provide several key details which you will need in the Student Visa application process:

      • Your details.
      • Course details.
      • Record of fees paid and deposits made.
      • Outstanding fees to be paid.
      • Educational and language qualifications.

      You must then apply online for the Student Visa and submit supporting documents. Also, you will need to pay the required fees at this time and make an appointment at the visa application center nearest to you in UAE.

      You will submit your biometric information and all supporting documentation during your appointment at the local VAS center.

      Documents Required for UK Student Visa

      Submitting supporting paperwork is a key part of the Student Visa application and you should consider reaching out to Total Law for a comprehensive UK Student Visa documents checklist.

      You must provide the following as part of your application:

      • A valid UAE passport
      • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
      • Evidence of financial funds to pay for your course and support yourself
      • Valid ATAS certificate (if applicable)
      • A letter of consent from your sponsor if you’ve received financial sponsorship in the last 12 months.
      • Proof of proficiency in the English language, such a Secure English Language Test (SELT) pass
      • If under 18, a letter of consent from a parent/guardian

      All documents must be in English or Welsh, or certified translated copies must be submitted instead.