Total Law
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

UK Student Visa for Spaniards

Spanish nationals must obtain a UK Student or Child Student visa to come and study in the UK for longer than six months. If you are coming to the UK for study purposes for six months or less, you may travel without a visa but must meet the Standard Visitor eligibility criteria.

For more information and guidance about how as a Spanish citizen you may obtain a student visa in the UK, or to receive bespoke advice from our team of legal and immigration experts, reach out to us today on +44 (0)333 305 9375.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    UK Student Visa Route for Spanish Citizens

    International students with a course acceptance offer from a UK education provider may need a study visa to come and study in the country. Following Brexit, the erstwhile Tier 4 (General) Student Visa was replaced with what is now generally called the ‘Student Route’, under which even EU nationals now need a visa to live and study in the UK for longer than six months.

    As a Spanish citizen, you may still come and study in the UK without a visa for less than six months, but you will have to meet the eligibility criteria for a Standard Visitor visa. For any course that takes longer than six months to complete, you will need to apply for a Student or a Child Student visa in the UK depending on your circumstances.

    Alternatively, you may check whether you are still eligible to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme, in which case you will be able to live and study in the UK for any duration without a visa.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Student Visa UK

    To apply for a Student visa in the UK, you must:

    • Be 16 or more
    • Have been accepted into a study course (that lasts longer than six months) by a UK educational institution holding a valid sponsor licence
    • Have sufficient financial means to support yourself and pay the course fees
    • Be able to speak, read, write and understand English
    • Have written consent from your parents if you are aged 16 or 17

    Apart from studying, you may also work in the UK on a Student visa for limited hours. You may also bring your spouse/partner and children to the UK as your dependants if you are a government-sponsored student or a full-time student on a postgraduate course lasting nine months or more. Eligible postgraduate courses starting on or after 1 January 2024 must either be a PhD or other doctorate degree or a research-based higher degree for this purpose.

    However, you will not be able to claim public money in the UK for yourself or your dependants, nor be able to work in certain jobs or be self-employed.

    Child Student Visa UK

    To apply for a Child Student visa in the UK, you must:

    • Be 4-17 years
    • Have been unconditionally offered a place on a course at an independent school in the UK
    • Have sufficient financial means to support yourself and pay the course fees
    • Have explicit consent from your parents or legal guardian(s) to study in the UK

    You may work for limited hours on a Child Student visa if you are 16 or 17. However, you cannot claim public funds, bring your family members to the UK as dependants, or be self-employed.

    EU Settlement Scheme for Spanish Nationals

    Being a Spanish national, you might also be eligible to live and study in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme instead of applying for a Student or Child Student visa. Although 30 June 2021 was the deadline for most of the eligible EEA/Swiss nationals, it will not apply in your case provided you already have pre-settled status in the UK and are now applying for settled status.

    Additionally, you can still apply under this scheme if you or a EEA/Swiss national family member were living in the UK by 31 December 2020, and you either meet one of the criteria for a later deadline to apply or have ‘reasonable grounds’ for applying late.

    Turning your dream of studying in the UK into reality? Contact us today to get started. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Document Requirements for a UK Student Visa

      To come to the UK from Spain through the student route, you may need the following supporting documents:

      • Your current Spanish passport (or any other valid travel document) with at least one blank page for your visa
      • The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter from your UK educational institution
      • Proof of funds to cover your expenses and course fees in the UK
      • Written consent for your visa application, your living and care arrangements in the UK and your travel to the country from your parents or legal guardian(s) if you are under 18, including proof of your relationship with them
      • Written consent from your financial sponsor in case you received any sponsorship for your course fees and living expenses in the past 12 months

      Please note that the above list is not exhaustive by any means. UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) may ask you for additional documents while processing your visa application.

      How to Apply for a UK Student Visa From Spain

      The application process for a UK Student or Child Student visa is the same as other UK visa applications. You will have to complete an application form and pay the visa fees online.

      First, you will have to create an account on the Home Office website with a valid email ID. Please have all your supporting documents (including your CAS letter) and other relevant information ready to answer the questions on the online form completely and accurately.

      Please submit the completed application form online along with scanned copies of your documents, and pay the visa fees. Next, book an appointment with a UK visa application centre near you to submit your biometric information (i.e. your photo and fingerprints) as well as your original passport and copies of supporting documents.

      TLScontact is the official third-party UK visa services provider in Spain, with visa application centres in Barcelona and Madrid. You may also have to attend a visa interview on your appointment date if required.

      UK Student Visa Processing Time and Fees

      A Student or a Child Student visa takes usually up to three weeks for processing when applied from outside the UK. UKVI may take up to eight weeks if you are already in the UK and applying to switch to a Student or Child Student visa.

      The processing fee for both a Student or a Child Student visa is £490 for people applying from outside the UK (i.e. Spain in this context). You will need to pay the same fee if you are switching to a Student/Child Student visa from your current UK visa or applying to extend your current Student or Child Student visa from within the UK.

      Secure your Student Visa in the UK tailored for Spanish citizens. Contact our team today for expert assistance. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        How Can Total Law Help?

        Our Total Law team of sympathetic immigration lawyers have helped several Spanish citizens with their UK Student and Child Student visa applications, as well as other UK visas, over the years, regardless of their immigration circumstances or the complications involved in their cases.

        If you are seeking overall advice with your Student/Child Student visa application or would like an immigration expert to complete your application on your behalf, we are happy to help. We provide application services where our specialists can guide you through each stage of your application

        To know more about the bespoke services we provide and how we can help you, dial +44 (0)333 305 9375 today to speak to our team of expert immigration advisers.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  The validity of a Student visa depends on your course duration as well as what study you have so far completed in the UK (if any). For example, if you are 18 or more and enrolled into a degree level course, you may usually stay in the UK for up to five years. The visa validity is usually two years if it is a below degree-level course.

                  Yes, you may extend your Student visa to continue your current course or study a new course in the UK, provided you fulfil the eligibility criteria including the unconditional offer of a place on a course and academic progress requirement.