Canadian Express Entry
Express Entry is one of the fastest routes to becoming a permanent resident in Canada. Find out more about the requirements and the application process for Irish citizens.
To receive assistance with your Express Entry application, call our lawyers today on +353 061 518 025.
- What is the Canadian Express Entry?
- What are the Express Entry eligibility requirements for Irish citizens?
- What documents do Irish citizens need to submit for Express Entry?
- What types of Express Entry programmes are there?
- How can Irish citizens apply for Express Entry?
- How can Total Law help?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Canadian Express Entry?
The Canadian Express Entry is a point-based system used by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to determine whether foreign skilled workers are eligible to immigrate to Canada.
Irish citizens who apply for Express Entry receive a score based on their education, occupation, language skills, and other factors. Those with the highest scores receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Having the status of a permanent resident in Canada means you can live, work, and study there permanently without any immigration restrictions.
There is no annual cap on how many people can immigrate to Canada under the Express Entry so the decision comes down to your score.
What are the Express Entry eligibility requirements for Irish citizens?
All Irish citizens wanting to apply for Express Entry to Canada have to meet the following requirements:
- Be between 18 and 35 years of age to get the maximum amount of points. You can apply for Express Entry if you are older but you will receive fewer points.
- Have completed at least a higher secondary education level. However, the higher your level of education, the more points you will get.
- Have at least 12 months of skilled work experience to get the maximum amount of points. The more work experience you have, the more points you will be awarded.
Additionally, if you secure a job offer from a Canadian employer before arrival, you will receive ten extra points. In a similar manner, if your family member lives in Canada, you can score ten points. If your spouse intends to join you in Canada, you can also receive extra points.
To be able to immigrate to Canada, you have to be among the highest-ranking candidates.
What documents do Irish citizens need to submit for Express Entry?
To prove your eligibility for Express Entry to Canada, you have to submit the following documents:
- Valid passport
- Proof that you meet the education and work experience requirements
- An employment contract or a written job offer from a Canadian employer if you received one prior to application
- Proof of having enough funds to support yourself after you arrive in Canada
- Birth and marriage certificates if you intend to bring your dependents with you.
Depending on your individual situation you might have to include other supporting documents as well. If you hire one of our immigration lawyers, they will analyse your case and will help you prepare a complete portfolio of evidence.
What types of Express Entry programmes are there?
If you want to come to Canada using the Express Entry route, you might be eligible for one of the following programmes that are a part of this system:
- Federal Skilled Worker Programme – intended for skilled workers who have at least 1 year of full-time or equivalent part-time work experience in a managerial, professional, or technical role. They have to have gained this experience in the last 10 years prior to submitting the application.
- Federal Skilled Trades Programme – intended for workers who specialise in a skilled trade and who have at least 2 years full-time or equivalent part-time work experience in a skilled trade. They have to have gained this experience in the last 5 years. They also have to secure a job offer from a Canadian employer before submitting their Express Entry application.
- Canadian Experience Class – intended for skilled workers who have at least 1 year of work experience in Canada within the last 3 years. They have to have gained this experience while they were in Canada with temporary resident status.
- Provincial Nominee Programme – intended for skilled workers who want to come to Canada to live and work in a certain province. Certain territories and provinces have their own Express Entry streams where eligibility requirements vary depending on the chosen region of Canada.
If you are not sure which type of Express Entry you should apply for, talk to your immigration lawyers. They will assess your qualifications and other relevant factors and will advise you which route is the best option for you.
How can Irish citizens apply for Express Entry?
If you are an Irish citizen and you want to apply for Express Entry to Canada, you have to create an IRCC account. Then you need to complete the following steps:
- Complete an online form with details regarding your personal situation, education, work experience and submit your Express Entry profile. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will receive a score and you will be added to the Express Entry pool with other applicants.
- If you are amongst the highest-scoring applicants, you will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence from the Canadian government. Then, you will have 60 days to do it.
After your application for permanent residency is approved, you will receive a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) document. It will enable you to apply for a Permanent Residence card that you can use as proof of your status in Canada.
The whole application process takes around six months on average but the processing can take longer if you fail to submit some of the required documents.
How can Total Law help?
As there are a few types of Express Entry to Canada, choosing the right one for your circumstances and determining whether you meet the eligibility criteria can be complicated. Our lawyers specialise in Canadian immigration programmes so they can analyse your case and help you submit your application.
If you hire one of our lawyers, you will receive professional assistance and guidance. Thanks to that you will be able to avoid mistakes that could delay your application.
Our lawyers will assess your eligibility for Express Entry to Canada and they can tell you how many points you can expect to get. At Total Law, we have helped many clients immigrate to Canada under the Express Entry programme.
Even if it turns out that you do not meet the criteria for Express Entry, our lawyers can help you apply for other visas to Canada.
To find out more about how our lawyers can help, call us today on +353 061 518 025.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can create an Express Entry profile for free. You will only have to pay fees after you receive the invitation to apply when you submit your application for permanent residency in Canada. The fees you will have to pay then include:
- Processing fees of $825 CDN per adult and $225 CDN per dependent child coming to Canada
- Right of Permanent residence fee of $500 CDN. Keep in mind that you only have to pay when your application is approved. If you want you can pay it in advance and, if your application is rejected, you will receive a refund.
- Biometrics fees, which vary depending on where you have your appointment.
All these fees can be paid through your online account.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) reviews Express Entry applicants every 2-4 weeks. Hence, if you receive a high score, it is possible that you will receive your ITA within just a few weeks. Your profile will remain active in the Express Entry pool for 12 months so even if you do not receive the ITA after the first draw, you might receive it at a later date.
If you are not selected within one year, you can submit a new application and try again.
The Canadian Express Entry is intended for foreign workers with skilled work experience. One of the aims of the programme is to fill jobs where there are not enough skilled Candian workers.
To be eligible for Express Entry applicants have to have at least 1 year of relevant work experience. That said, if you have never worked in your profession, your application will be automatically rejected.
Candidates who apply for Express Entry to Canada receive points based on their age, education, language abilities, work experience, skills, and other factors.
To be eligible for Express Entry, you need to score at least 67 points out of 100. Nevertheless, only those with the highest scores will receive Invitations to Apply for permanent residence in Canada. Therefore, getting 67 points does not mean you will be able to immigrate to Canada. The higher your score, the higher your chances.