Total Law
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Dependant Visa UK (for Spaniards)

Spanish citizens may apply for a dependant visa to join their family living in the UK. Your eligibility depends on your relative’s UK visa type and your relationship with them.

If you are looking for more information and guidance about how, as a Spaniard, you may obtain a dependant visa in the UK or wish to receive assistance with your visa application, call us today at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or use our online chat.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What Is a UK Dependant Visa?

    Foreign nationals holding certain categories of visas in the UK may bring their spouses or civil/unmarried partners and dependent children to the country on dependant visas.

    Post-Brexit, Spanish nationals require a visa to live, work or study in the UK for longer than six months (unless they have pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme).

    If you already have a family member living in the UK on certain work visas, business visas, UK Ancestry visas, or student visas (in limited circumstances), then a dependant visa may be a valid option for you to move to the UK from Spain.

    You can work and study in the UK as a dependent visa holder, although there are restrictions on employment as a professional sportsperson or a doctor/dentist in training. Dependant visa holders will have access to public healthcare (NHS) and education facilities in the UK but cannot claim public funds or the State Pension.

    A dependant visa is valid for the same duration as the main applicant’s visa and can be extended if and when the main applicant is eligible or required to extend their visa.

    After living in the UK for five years as a dependent family member of a work visa holder, you may also be eligible to apply to settle permanently in the UK, also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), provided you fulfil the additional requirements.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Visas That Allow Bringing Dependants to the UK

    The following UK work visa categories allow the main applicant’s dependent spouse/partner and children to come to the UK:

    • Skilled Worker visa
    • Health and Care visa (except certain categories)
    • Senior or Specialist Worker visa
    • UK Expansion Worker visa
    • Secondment Worker visa
    • Service Supplier visa
    • Graduate Trainee visa
    • Representative of an Overseas Business visa
    • Creative Worker visa
    • International Agreement visa
    • Charity Worker visa
    • Religious Worker visa
    • Government Authorised Exchange visa
    • Scale-up Worker visa
    • International Sportsperson visa
    • Minister of Religion visa (T2)
    • UK Ancestry visa
    • Innovator Founder visa
    • High Potential Individual visa
    • Graduate visa (only if your eligible family members joined you in the UK as your dependants on your current Student visa or your children were born in the country during your current Student visa)
    • Student visa ( in limited circumstances)
    Red telephone booth in the UK

    Revised UK Dependant Visa Policies 2024

    The new policies concerning the student dependant visa UK mean Student visa holders can bring their spouse/partner or children to the UK as their dependants only if they are:

    • A government-sponsored student enrolled in a course lasting longer than six months, or
    • A full-time student on a postgraduate level course lasting nine months or more

    If the course starts on or after that date, it must be either a PhD or other doctorate level course, or a research-based higher degree.

    Since March 2024, care workers and senior care workers are no longer eligible to bring their spouses/partners and children to the UK as dependent family members. Care or senior care workers working in the UK on a Health and Care Worker visa before that date may continue having their eligible family members living with them, provided they are:

    • Still holding a Health and Care Worker visa, or
    • Extending their Health and Care Worker visa with their current employer or
    • Changing to a new job within the same occupation code while on a Health and Care Worker visa

    Get in touch with us for assistance obtaining your UK dependant visa. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Dependant Visa UK Requirements


      Apart from being eligible as a family member, there are certain additional eligibility requirements that you must fulfil to be able to apply for a dependent visa. These requirements vary depending on your relationship with the main visa applicant.

      In all scenarios, the main visa holder must meet the Home Office-specified minimum income threshold or have proof of sufficient financial means to cover their dependants’ expenses and provide suitable accommodation in the UK.

      Requirements for Spouses, Civil Partners or Unmarried Partners

      A dependent spouse or civil partner must be in a marriage or civil partnership, which is recognised in the UK, with the main applicant for at least two years before the date of their dependant visa application. An unmarried partner may be eligible to apply if they can prove that they have been living together with the main applicant for at least the past two years.

      If the unmarried partners were in a relationship for the last two years but did not live together due to acceptable and provable reasons (such as if they were working/studying in different places or if living together was not possible due to cultural reasons), they may also be able to apply for dependant visas UK.

      However, they will need to prove an ongoing mutual commitment through proof of regular communications, evidence of supporting each other financially, proof of shared parental care for any children they may have, photos from where they have been travelling together, etc.

      Child Dependant Visa UK Requirements

      Children below 18 are eligible to come and live with you in the UK as your dependents. Unless studying full-time in a boarding school or university, they must live with you and not be married or in a civil partnership.

      Children over 18 may also be eligible for a dependant visa if they live with you in the UK, are not married or in a civil partnership, and are financially (or otherwise) dependent on you.

      Supporting Documents for a Dependant Visa UK

      Supporting documents required to apply for a UK dependant visa may include the following:

      • Valid passport
      • Proof of relationship with the main visa applicant, e.g. marriage or civil partnership certificates, birth certificates (for child dependant visa UK) etc.
      • Proof of sufficient financial means to cover the dependants’ expenses
      • Proof of suitable accommodation in the UK (depending on the family size)
      • Proof that the dependent children are living with the main visa holder (e.g. bank account statements, credit card bills, driving licence, etc.)

      UK Dependant Visa Application Process

      A UK-dependent visa application is done online, and each applicant must complete a separate application form. You must create an account on the Home Office website with an email ID to proceed with your online application.

      You will need the main applicant’s application number to apply for your UK-dependant visa, also called a Global Web Form (GWF) or a Unique Application Number (UAN).

      The completed application form and scanned copies of your supporting documents must be submitted, along with payment for the visa fees and immigration healthcare surcharge. You will then have to book an appointment with a UK visa application centre to submit your biometric information, your original passport, and physical copies of supporting documents.

      TLScontact is the official third-party UK visa services provider in Spain. They have visa application centres in Barcelona and Madrid, so you may choose the one nearest to where you are in Spain. You may also be required to attend a visa interview on your appointment date.

      We can help with the legalities of your UK dependant visa application. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Processing Time for a UK Dependant Visa Application

        A dependant visa application may take up to three weeks to receive a decision if applied from outside the UK. If you are already in the UK and have applied to switch to a dependant visa from your current visa, this may take up to eight weeks.

        The processing time may increase further if your application is incomplete or inaccurate, if you are asked to provide additional supporting documents, or if your local British embassy or consulate is experiencing a huge volume of visa applications.

        How Much Does It Cost for a UK Dependant Visa?

        The dependant visa fee aligns with the main applicant’s visa type. For example, if the main applicant is holding a Skilled Worker visa in the UK for up to three years, each dependant visa applicant will have to pay a fee of £719 (i.e. same as the main applicant) as well as a healthcare surcharge of £1,035 for each year of their stay in the UK.

        How Can Total Law Help?

        Our Total Law team of expert immigration lawyers have helped several Spanish citizens with their UK dependant visa applications (as well as other UK visas). We have the required knowledge, experience, and empathy to assist you, regardless of your immigration circumstances or the complications involved in your case.

        If you are seeking overall advice with your dependant visa UK application, or would like our immigration experts to complete your application on your behalf, we are happy to help. We provide application services where our immigration specialists can guide you through each application stage.

        To discuss the bespoke legal and immigration services we provide and how we can help you, please call us on +44 (0)333 305 9375 today to speak with one of our team members, or message us online.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  You may be eligible if you are already in the UK on a different visa and want to switch to a dependant visa. However, it may not be possible if you hold a visit visa, a short-term student visa, a parent of a Child Student visa, a Seasonal Worker visa, or an Overseas Domestic worker visa.

                  If you have lived with your boyfriend for at least two years before the visa application date or can prove that you have been in a relationship for at least the past two years but did not live together due to acceptable (and provable) reasons, your boyfriend may be eligible to apply for a UK dependant visa, if he meets the additional conditions.