- What are the eligibility requirements for a Child Student Visa?
- What can a child do and not do with a Child Student Visa?
- How do I apply for a Child Student Visa?
- What are the fees for a Child Student Visa?
- Can parents of applicants join them in the UK?
- Extending your Child Student Visa
- Frequently Asked Questions
What are the eligibility requirements for a Child Student Visa?
The eligibility requirements for a Child Student visa are varied and include the following:
- The child must have an acceptance letter and a confirmed place at a private, independent, fee-paying school
- The child must be between 4-17 years of age
- The school must be recognized by the UK government and the school needs to provide a valid CAS number or Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
- Parents/guardians must provide written consent that they allow their child to attend school in the UK
- There must be no record of any immigration issues such as breaching immigration laws or rules
- English language skills must be proven
- Evidence of any required qualifications to attend specific courses must be provided
- Evidence that the children(s) will return to Canada upon completing their studies must be provided
What can a child do and not do with a Child Student Visa?
Children with this visa are permitted to study at the independent school that has accepted them.
If the applicant is 16 years of age or over, the ycan work part-time during the term for up to 10 hours per week, full-time during vacations, or on a work placement as part of their course, but it may not succeed more than 50% of their course.
Courses they may take part in should be in line with the national curriculum and the regulated qualifications framework (level 3 or below)
International students are not allowed to do the following on a Child Student Visa:
- Study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) or further or higher education institution
- Do a foundation course that will prepare them for direct entry to a higher education institution
- Obtain public funds (benefits)
- Work a full-time permanent job or be self-employed
- Work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
- Apply for settlement to stay in the UK
- Bring family members (‘ or dependants’) with them to the UK. Should a parent wish to accompany them, the parents will need to apply separately for a Parent of a Child Student visa.
How do I apply for a Child Student Visa?
The visa application process is as follows:
- Apply to a private and independent educational institution for a placement
- Receive an unconditional offer from the school
- Submit a request for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies number
- Book a tuberculosis test (if necessary)
- Complete the child visa application form
- Pay the application fee and immigration health surcharge
- Book your biometrics appointment at the visa application centre (where relevant)
- Attend a visa interview (where relevant)
- Submit information to receive a biometric residence permit (where relevant)
- Wait for a decision to be issued on the visa application
Upon applying, the applicant will need to provide the child’s current passport, the CAS number, written consent from the parent/guardian, and proof of relationship.
When completing the application, identification verification is an important step. As a Canadian, you are permitted to do this using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document online and create/sign in to your personal UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account.
It normally takes around 3 weeks to get a decision, though sometimes when going through the UK immigration: ID Check, applicants will be prompted to opt for quicker processing. If this does occur, it could only take up to 5 days to receive a Child Student visa.
A child visa application from Canada does not typically require an interview unless the case is considered complex.
When/if your application is approved, the applicant will receive a shareable code as proof of your new status through the ‘UK Immigration: ID check.’
The visa will be valid in line with the time frame of the child’s studies. This depends on the age of the child and the length of the course being taken. For example, if the child is under 16, they can stay for up to 6 years and 4 months after completing theirstudies. Those who are aged 16-17 can stay up to 3 years and 4 months after completing their studies.
What are the fees for a Child Student Visa?
The fee for getting a Child student Visa is £348 or approximately CAD$595.00. Applicants must also pay UK immigration healthcare surcharge, which is about £470 or CAD$632.62 per year, each year of their visa.
Applicants will also need sufficient finances to pay for travel, accommodation, and tuition fees for their course(s). As Canada is listed under the ‘differential evidence requirement,’ there is no need to prove your funds on how you’ll support yourself.
Can parents of applicants join them in the UK?
Parents are not permitted to join their children in the UK unless they have a visa of their own. If parents wish to join the child, they have to apply for a Parent of a Child Student visa.
If you wish to apply for this visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- Your child must be between 4-11 years old
- Your child must be attending an independent school in the UK
- You are the only parent of your child accompanying them in the UK
- You must continue to maintain your primary residence in your country of residence
- You must have concrete plans to leave the UK when your visa expires
You are permitted to stay in the UK until the expiration of your child’s visa, or until they turn 12 years old (whichever happens first). It may be possible to extend the visa if you meet the criteria.
If your child continues studying in the UK after 12 years old age, you must make ensure that arrangements are in place to facilitate their ongoing care.
While in the UK on a Parent of a Child visa, you are not allowed to work, study, start a business, apply for benefits, or bring any other family member to the UK. Furthermore, you may not make the UK your primary residence.
Extending your Child Student Visa
It is possible to apply for an extension on a Child Student visa. Applicants should apply before their current visa expires. It is recommended that applicants apply within 28 days of the start of the course and/or when the current visa expires.
To extend a Child Student visa, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You must already be in the UK on an existing Child Student visa
- You must have an unconditional offer on a course with a licensed Child Student sponsor – shown by your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
If the child is older, 16 or 17 years, and is on a course that lasts longer than the maximum permitted time of three years, they will have to apply again before the expiration date of their current visa.
Applications should be online and must include identification verification. The fees to extend the visa are £475 (approximately CAD$812) to extend this visa.
Any Canadians who are 18 and over will have to transfer to a Student visa route if they wish to continue their studies in the UK.
Typically, it takes 8 weeks to get a decision on an extension of a visa.
It is important to note that in the majority of cases, the time you spend in the UK on a Child Student Visa does not count towards indefinite leave to remain or permanent residency, which is the next step to citizenship.
How can Total Law help?
The Child Student visa is a good opportunity to allow children to come to the UK and experience life in another culture while furthering their education.
If you’re looking to apply for a Child Student visa on behalf of your child, Total Law can help.
We offer complete and comprehensive legal services for Canadians looking to come to the UK for study, work, residency or any other reason. Our expert legal advisers can help you overcome any immigration issues you have and ensure that your pathway to your destination country is as smooth and stress-free as possible.
For more information, call us on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online seven days a week via our live chat.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
The visa allows the Canadian child, in most cases, to remain in the UK for the full length of their course.
They can also then stay up to four months after their course finishes. After this, they will need to leave the UK unless they have applied to extend their stay or switched to another immigration category.
Yes, a child can study in the UK while on a regular Visitor visa. However, they will only be able to study for the whole duration of the visa’s validity, which will normally be 6 months.
They can attend any UK independent school. The school must not be an academy, local authority, or state-funded school.