France Visas For Australians

If you are an Australian intending to travel to France, there are different immigration paths you can take depending on if you want to visit, work, study or reunite with your family.

For more information on the French visas available to Australians, including help on how to apply for a visa, speak to one of our lawyers at +44 (0)333 305 9375 or fill out the online contact form, and we will reach out to you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Do Australians Need a Visa To Go To France?

    Australian citizens do not need a visa to enter France for short stays of up to 90 days within a 180-day period. Visa-free entry for Australians is usually granted for transit, tourism, short-term study, business, and medical treatment reasons.

    The EU is introducing the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) to increase security measures and better monitor visitors into the Schengen area. As such, starting from 2025, foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries like Australia must apply for an ETIAS visa waiver before entering French territory or any Schengen country.

    The ETIAS waiver visa applications will be online, and applicants can get approval within 24 hours. Successful applicants will have the visa waiver electronically attached to their passport, which is valid for three years.

    While Australian citizens are visa-exempted to France for 90 days, non-citizens residing in Australia might be required to apply for a short-stay visa, depending on their nationality and other circumstances.

    If you’re a non-citizen residing in Australia and you wish to travel to France, our lawyers can help you determine if you need a visa. Contact us at +44 (0)333 305 9375 to get started.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Discover the diverse pathways to France from Australia. Connect with our team of experts for assistance. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Types Of France Visas For Australians

      Australian nationals will require a visa to travel to France for extended stays of more than 90 days. These visas are tailored to different purposes, whether you’re planning an extended vacation, pursuing studies, engaging in business activities, or reuniting with family.

      The different France visas are categorised into Student, Work, Business, and Family Reunion visas. Each category comes with distinct requirements, and it’s vital to be thoroughly prepared and adhere to specific guidelines for a successful application.

      French Work Visas


      France offers various long-stay work visas tailored to different paid employment scenarios. If you intend to work in France as an employee, you can either be:

      • Posted by a non-EEA employer or an international organisation to work in France
      • Hired for a fixed period or seasonal contract by a French employer or
      • Employed for long-term recruitment by a French employer.

      Employee Posting

      You can apply for a work visa under this category if any of the following applies to you:

      • Your employer outside the EEA asks you to complete a one-off task in France or provide service to a French client on its behalf.
      • Your company outside the EEA belongs to an international group of companies and sends you to conduct an assessment or take a training course in a French company belonging to the same group.

      Your employer or the French company you’ll be working for must first obtain work authorisation on your behalf before you can apply for the work visa.

      If your application is successful, you will be issued a work visa equivalent to a resident permit, bearing the statement “traveilluer temporaire” (temporary worker). This visa will allow you to work in France for up to 12 months, but you must validate it within three months of your arrival at the local prefecture.

      Intra-Company Transfer (ICT)

      This work visa category is designed for individuals in senior management roles or with higher educational qualifications working for a non-EEA company that belongs to an international group of companies.

      It allows you to carry out work-related activities in a high-level senior management or expert assessment role.

      For assignments between three to 12 months, you will be issued a “stagiare ICT” (ICT trainee) long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit. You must validate this permit within three months of arriving in France.

      However, if your assignment is over 12 months, your long-stay visa will bear “salarie detache ICT” (ICT posted employee), valid for three years. You must apply for a multi-year residence permit at a local police station within two months of arriving in France.

      Employee Recruitment

      This category is suitable if an employer or organisation in France is willing to recruit you for a fixed-term or permanent contract. Through this immigration route, you can work for a private employer in a domestic role, a company, or any type of organisation.

      Before you can apply for this work visa, your employer must get work authorisation from the French authorities on your behalf.

      Upon successful application, you will be granted a visa bearing “Salarie” (employee) if you were hired for a permanent employment contract or “Travailleur temporaire” (temporary worker) if you have a fixed-term contract.

      Your visa will be valid for 12 months, and you must validate it within three months of arriving in France.

      Seasonal Work

      You can work in France as a “travailleur saisonnier” (seasonal worker) in agriculture, tourism, or other jobs linked to seasonal requirements. You must obtain a multi-year residence permit within two months of arriving in France.

      You cannot work for more than six months as a seasonal worker within any 12-month period. You can work for several employers within these six months, but they must all have work authorisation from the French authorities to hire you.

      Your employer must request a new work permit for the following seasonal period. However, you do not need to apply for a new visa if your multi-year residence permit is still valid.

      Professional Internship

      The professional internship route is suitable if your employer sends you to take a professional training program in a French training organisation authorised by the French authorities or a French company with which your company holds commercial relations.

      Your long-stay visa will bear the statement “stagiaire” (trainee), and you must validate it within three months of your arrival in France.

      Considering working in France? Let us help you obtain a Work Visa/Permit. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Requirements For France Work Visas

        To apply for a work visa in France, you may need to provide the following documents:

        • A travel document issued at most ten years ago and valid for three months after your intended departure date.
        • A valid passport-sized photograph
        • Your employment contract or any equivalent legal document specifying the nature of the job, the conditions of remuneration, the duration of the transfer, and the location of the company receiving you.
        • Copies of your diplomas and proof of qualifications.
        • A work permit obtained by your employer from the French government.
        • Proof of nomination for posting or training or, where possible, a letter of intent from the competent body for the nomination.
        • Proof of seniority in the group of companies for at least six months;
        • Proof that the company employing you and the company in which your assignment or traineeship is carried out belong to the same group of companies.
        • Proof that you will return to your home country after your work contract ends
        • A letter detailing the purpose of your travel/stay
        • Travel health insurance
        • Proof of funds exceeding or equal to the full-time gross monthly minimum wage.

        France Family Visas


        You can apply for a family visa to join your family member residing or settled in France. There are different categories of French family visas, and the visa type you must apply for will depend on the nationality of the France-resident family member.

        Your Family Member is a French National

        If you have a family member who is a French national or citizen, you might be eligible to apply for a family visa. You must be related to them in the following ways:

        • Their spouse
        • Their dependent child
        • Their dependent older relative or a dependent older relative of their spouse
        • Their parent or grandparent or that of their spouse
        • Their foreign parent, if the resident is a minor

        As the spouse of a French national, you must prove your marital status to your spouse and your willingness to maintain such a relationship after arriving in France. You must also prove your spouse’s French nationality and the community life where they reside.

        If you’re applying as a parent or dependent older relative of a French national, you must prove your relationship with the national and provide medical insurance to cover the duration of your stay.

        You must also show sufficient funds to cover your expenses throughout your stay. If you depend financially on your French relative, you must prove they will support you financially.

        Dependent children of French nationals must prove their age, their relationship to the French parent, and the nationality of both parents. If they are subject to joint custody, they provide consent from the other parent, permitting them to settle in France.

        Furthermore, if you’re the parent of a French national who is a minor, you must prove the following:

        • Your relationship with the child
        • The child’s nationality, age, and residency.
        • Your contribution to their upkeep and education since birth or within the last two years
        • That you are not in a polygamous relationship.

        Upon successful application, you will be issued a long-stay family visa valid for three months, and you must request a residence permit at a local prefecture.

        Your Family Member is an EEA National

        If your family member residing in France is not a Fench national, but from an EEA country or Switzerland, you can apply to join them in France.

        You must be related to them in the following ways:

        • Their spouse
        • Their direct dependent or descendant under 21
        • Their direct dependent older relative or that of their spouse

        Only their spouse and direct descendant can apply if the EEA national is a student.

        Your Family Member is From a Non-EEA Country

        If your family member is a foreign national from a non-EEA country and resides in France, you can apply for a family visa to join them if you are their spouse or dependent child under 18 years old.

        You can also apply if your family member has refugee or stateless protection status. If the refugee or stateless person is over 18, you must be:

        • Their spouse or partner provided that the union was contracted before the date of their asylum application.
        • Their child provided you were under 19 when the asylum application was submitted.
        • Their child under 18 or the child of their spouse

        On the other hand, if the refugee or stateless person is under 18, their parent and the parent’s minor children can apply to join them in France.

        Looking to bring your loved ones to France? Contact us to get started. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Requirements for France Family Visas

          To apply for a family visa, you must provide the following documents:

          • A valid travel document issued less than ten years ago containing two blank pages
          • ID photographs
          • Proof of family links with a copy of marriage or birth certificates
          • A letter explaining the purpose of your travel
          • Proof of your spouse’s nationality
          • Proof of sufficient funds to take care of yourself

          To begin the application process, your family member must first submit an application to the Direction Territoriale de l’Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration (OFII) in their place of residence. The local prefecture will determine if they have the means to support you before accepting the application.

          Once the application has been accepted, the consular services in Australia will contact you to issue your long-stay visa, valid for three months. You must then apply for a residence permit at the police station after arriving in France.

          France Student Visas

          The France study visas are applicable if you intend to pursue a training program as part of your university studies or an exchange scheme or cooperation programme.

          To apply for a study visa, you must be 18 years or older and have already been accepted at a higher education establishment.

          You will receive a temporary long-stay visa if your education program is between three to six months. However, if your education program is over six months, you will receive a long-stay visa subject to further formalities upon your arrival in France.

          Requirements for the French Study Visa

          To apply for a study visa, you must provide the following documents:

          • A valid travel document
          • ID photographs
          • Certificate of acceptance in an establishment of higher education or training.
          • An exchange letter from your university if you are participating in a student exchange program.
          • Certificate of your last completed degree.
          • Proof of a minimum monthly income of up to €615 with:
            • A certificate of scholarship or bank statement showing a deposit in a French bank account,
            • A bank statement of permanent and irrevocable transfer or
            • An undertaking from a guarantor to accept financial liability. The guarantor must provide proof of adequate, reliable and regular income and a copy of their ID document.
          • Proof of accommodation arrangements with documents showing any of the following:
            • hotel reservation
            • rental agreement
            • sworn statement/undertaking from your host, which can be an establishment or private individual, or
            • explanatory letter from you detailing how you’ve planned your accommodation.

          Whatever your goal is, our immigration team can assist you in obtaining the right French visa. Contact Us

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            France Business Visas

            A France business visa might be suitable for you if you intend to migrate to France to create or participate in a self-employed activity of a commercial, artisanal, industrial, agricultural, or liberal nature.

            Requirements for France Business Visas

            If you intend to set up a new business in France, you must demonstrate the economic feasibility of your business. You must also provide the following:

            • A written document detailing your project, business plan, and a multi-annual estimated budget.
            • A copy of the sales agreement or contract if you are buying out an existing business.
            • A copy of the commercial lease agreement or sub-lease contract where your business will be located that states your business activity and, where possible, authorisation from the owner of the premises.
            • Proof of nomination or, where possible, a letter of intent from the competent body for the nomination and a copy of the articles of association if you are starting a company in France as a subsidiary of a foreign company.

            If you want to engage in a liberal profession or an existing business activity, you must show that you have sufficient financial resources, equivalent to the minimum legal wage in France for a full-time worker, which is €1,3083.08 per month.

            You must also present the following documents:

            • Proof of the economic viability of the business.
            • An extract from the company’s registration on the company’s register dated within three months or an extract from the trade directory dated within three months.
            • A copy of the company’s articles of association.
            • A tax status certificate for the company.
            • Certificate from Unions de Recouvrement des Cotisations de Sécurité Sociale et d’Allocations Familiales (URSSAF) proving that the company is up to date in its social security payments.
            • Any certified accounting document proving that the company can pay you a monthly income equivalent to the French minimum wage.

            Our Total Law Lawyers Can Help You Secure a Visa To France

            If you’re considering moving to France, whether you’re starting a new business, seconding employees, or embarking on personal endeavours, our lawyers at Total Law can help make your aspirations a reality.

            We are knowledgeable in French immigration law and have years of experience helping individuals and organisations decipher the visa requirements of their chosen immigration route, gather the necessary documentation, and submit a robust application.

            We recognise that each case is unique, and we will provide you with a personalised approach that ensures your journey to France is successful. To learn more about how we can help you, call +44 (0)333 305 9375 or contact us online.

            Advice Package icon

            Advice Package

            Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

            Application Package icon

            Application Package

            Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

            Fast Track Package icon

            Fast Track Package

            Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

            Appeal Package icon

            Appeal Package

            Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

            Advice Package image

            The Advice Package

            During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Advice Package
              Application Package image

              The Application Package

              With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Application Package
                Fast Track Package image

                The Fast Track Package

                Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Fast Track Package
                  Appeal Package image

                  The Appeal Package

                  By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Request the Appeal Package

                    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                      Request a call back from our immigration experts

                      Related pages for your continued reading.

                      Frequently Asked Questions

                      To apply for a French visa from Australia, you can complete an online application and pay the relevant fee on the France Visas website.

                      Then, you must book an appointment and submit your application and supporting documents at any of the VFS Global centres in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, or Adelaïde.

                      Your visa application will be reviewed by the Consulate General of France in Sydney, and you will be notified if your application is successful.

                      The cost of applying for a French visa is €99. You may also be required to pay a service fee at the local visa centre.

                      The average processing time for long-stay visas at the France embassy in Australia is six weeks. However, certain visas, like business visas, can take up to 4 months.